• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long: pet sitter vs boarding?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
I need to get holiday care for my buns for around 3 weeks, but I'm struggling to find somewhere I'd be happy to leave them. So many of them just offer tiny hutches with carers who just like having fluffy animals around to force snuggles upon!

I usually work on the basis that up to 5 days with a pet sitter popping in is fine, but I prefer boarding for longer.

A girl here used to offer boarding, she was great, and Billy was always so at ease when staying with her! Which made Poppy's life a lot easier!

I need to get holiday care for my buns for around 3 weeks, but I'm struggling to find somewhere I'd be happy to leave them. So many of them just offer tiny hutches with carers who just like having fluffy animals around to force snuggles upon!

I usually work on the basis that up to 5 days with a pet sitter popping in is fine, but I prefer boarding for longer.

A girl here used to offer boarding, she was great, and Billy was always so at ease when staying with her! Which made Poppy's life a lot easier!

Was that Catherine?

It's so tough at the moment isn't it! Everyone says it's coz no one's been away for 2 years. Finding pet boarding is impossible. Shame you're so far away!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We found the same when we went away earlier this year! My usual place was booked up and everywhere else local used hutches that were far too small for my liking, especially for 3 rabbits. I even considered driving an hour or two out just to get somewhere decent.

In the end we got two good friends to house/rabbit sit. I was a little nervous as although they love and know our buns, they’re not rabbit owners. I left very detailed notes, had a rabbit savvy friend on standby and we also have a pet cam which our friends were happy for us to keep on and check from time to time. Could something like that be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about having a live in House/Pet Sitter

https://www.housesittersuk.co.uk/

It's a good idea, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be with strangers in the house :? Plus a little bit of me was keen on the idea of saving on heating for a couple of weeks :lol:

Was that Catherine?

Nah Vivienne, she was doing animal behaviour at uni, and I think she stopped after graduating. Her accommodation was good, but I also just liked how chilled out Billy was in her care - he's been a lot more stressed out in any other accommodation I've tried.

It's a good idea, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be with strangers in the house :? Plus a little bit of me was keen on the idea of saving on heating for a couple of weeks :lol:

Nah Vivienne, she was doing animal behaviour at uni, and I think she stopped after graduating. Her accommodation was good, but I also just liked how chilled out Billy was in her care - he's been a lot more stressed out in any other accommodation I've tried.

I'm stupid - I don't think you were in Catherine's neck of the woods!
:roll:

Whereabouts are you based? I know a really good pet sitter and another boarder, am in Surrey, no idea if that's anywhere near you.

We found the same when we went away earlier this year! My usual place was booked up and everywhere else local used hutches that were far too small for my liking, especially for 3 rabbits. I even considered driving an hour or two out just to get somewhere decent.

In the end we got two good friends to house/rabbit sit. I was a little nervous as although they love and know our buns, they’re not rabbit owners. I left very detailed notes, had a rabbit savvy friend on standby and we also have a pet cam which our friends were happy for us to keep on and check from time to time. Could something like that be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I did when we went away, when I had the bunnies. It worked really well. The camera is really good peace of mind.

Whereabouts are you based? I know a really good pet sitter and another boarder, am in Surrey, no idea if that's anywhere near you.

Glasgow for me :lol:

I've found a pet sitter who has bunnies, so would have a decent idea of their needs, but is 2.5 weeks too long to leave them with just 2 visits a day?

Having friends house sit would be difficult, we don't really know anyone that would be able to base themselves from our house for that length of time, with the public transport being so rubbish too.

I would ask the vet nurses if they know of anyone. Sometimes they do private petsitting on the side.

I tried that when we moved here :) also asked a local rabbit charity if they knew anyone locally (in case maybe some of their volunteers are pet sitters), but no joy.

I’m in Surrey, could you tell me who the really good boarder is? I know of one but just wondering if there’s one any nearer trying to plan for my holiday next year

Glasgow for me :lol:

I've found a pet sitter who has bunnies, so would have a decent idea of their needs, but is 2.5 weeks too long to leave them with just 2 visits a day?

Having friends house sit would be difficult, we don't really know anyone that would be able to base themselves from our house for that length of time, with the public transport being so rubbish too.

Ah that's no good then! I would be happy to leave mine for 2 weeks with 2 visits per day, as long as I was happy the pet sitter could spot signs of stasis etc.

I’m in Surrey, could you tell me who the really good boarder is? I know of one but just wondering if there’s one any nearer trying to plan for my holiday next year

The pet sitter I use is near Reigate and the boarder in Epsom. Both really lovely. PM me if you wanted their details at all :)

Back