• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long have you left your buns for?

I'm of the 12 hour opinion too. I work full time, but the longest my animals are ever alone for is probably Christmas Day, when we're out with family from morning till evening. Any longer and they have to go and stay with someone.

For those asking what the difference between leaving an animal 8-12 hours overnight and for a few days..yes, it's unreasonable to expect every single owner to check their animals every few hours around the clock. I personally need at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night to function and will very rarely be able to wake up in the night if I set an alarm. But I'd never leave my animals for a few days without someone to check on them.
Yes, bunnies can drop ill any time - Joey died the other day after being fine the very same morning. However, there's the fact that a few hours can make a big difference, and the off-chance of passing by the bunnies when one begins to get seriously ill gives them a much better chance of survival than if you're not there at all.
For example, say a bun developed GI stasis overnight. If you home, it may be 8 or so hours before you notice, but there's a high chance that you'll check them in the morning and discover it, and be able to rush it to the vet for treatment. If it developed the exact same problem, the night you'd just left to go away for 2 or 3 days, it will be left for a lot longer and there's a much greater chance of it not making it as it's not got that treatment.
Yes, it may be fine, but I'm a big believer in avoiding "maybe" circumstances. Some buns may be fine if left in a non-fox-proofed run, but those that have been caught by foxes are enough to deter me from trying it. Some female buns may be fine and not get uterine cancer if they're not spayed, but I'd like to give Nina all the chances she can get.

I'm off to my parents for Christmas this year and the bunnies are coming too - yay! :D I wouldn't want them to miss out on the carrot and brussel sprout peelings from Christmas dinner! :lol:

I feel like a 'weirdo' reading this ... We're going away Friday morning til late Sunday night ... and i've got the bunnysitter coming in 2-3 times each day :oops: :oops: X

beckiboo186 said:
I feel like a 'weirdo' reading this ... We're going away Friday morning til late Sunday night ... and i've got the bunnysitter coming in 2-3 times each day :oops: :oops: X

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
beckiboo186 said:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Janex

Whats that for jane, Its a good idea .. or yes i am a weirdo?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: X

I am out of the house 12 hours a day.
A few months back i fed my bunnies at 6.00am and all was fine.when i returned home at 6.00pm one of my bunnies was ill.I rushed him to the vets and he had GI stasis.Luckily he was fine and recovered the next day.
God knows what would have happened if i had been longer.
Now my mum and dad come over every lunch time to check on them.

Before Alice's health problems started I would leave my buns overnight with lots of hay and dried food to keep them going. However I would also ask my neighbour to check on them and give them their veg.

Now, I wouldn't dream of leaving them even overnight but this is due to Alice's health problems and she is prone to stop eating with no warning. If this happened then she might not be with us when I got back.

If I'm going away now to parents I always take my buns and they enjoy their little holiday. If I can't take them with me I use a boarder where I know they are safe and will be checked on.

My bunnies are not my whole life, but a lot of life has definately been on hold because I won't leave Alice. It's a sacrifice you make to own any pets, buns are the same as dogs, cats any other animal and they should not be left on their own for long periods of time. I think overnight is ok but anything longer is not providing proper care for your pet.

It has taken me ages to read through this in full! It has been really interesting to read everyones opinions!

My animals are the main reason why I am thankful that I still with my parents at 26! My Mum doesn't work so whilst I do all the actual 'care' my Mum will do a check every few hours and in the summer she watches them out of the window (they have a shed for the winter so not so easy to see!). When Austin was ill, I rang her from work every hour to see how he was :oops:

I have never left mine longer than about 8 - 10 hours and that has been when I have been out for a day (with parents so my Mum can't cover for me!). They are checked first thing before I go and then as mine is outdoors, I usually ask my neighbour to pop her head over the fence to keep half an eye. I do the same for her dog (who has a kennel in the garden) when she is out for a day. I also have to walk her dog so she does get the easier deal!

I wouldn't feel happy leaving them longer unattended but a lot of that is because I keep my animals in a routine and I hate to disrupt it! I had a riot on my hands when I was late coming out with the veggies when the clocks went back :shock:.

"i don't want to offend anyone or sound as though i am shouting but would you leave a dog unattended for 24-48 hours???? No you wouldn't so why a rabbit??"

Sorry guys but dogs are different to buns, it doesnt mean they are lesser animals, or less loved just have different needs. A dogs pack is his human familly and he relies on the not just for his food and water but his companionship, his entertainment and love and importantly his excercise(plus toilet issues already mentioned).
Rabbits see their rabbit mates as their familly and get love and companionship from each other and if they have suitable housing they also can take excercise without human assistence, unlike dogs. buns really dont need us as much as dogs do! sorry.
My buns have loads of space, personally Id be happy to leave them 24hours but my neighbour can visually check them and I could get friends in for longer periods, so not so much of a prob.

Of course I think this is a whole different conversation if we were to be talking about single buns or those without adequate housing or someone to do visual checks.

People can make their own desicions as they alone know each buns personality/health etc. But this also means people need to live with the consequences if things do go wrong.

beckiboo186 said:

Awww don't worry Becki, I'd do that too!! :D Nearly did it this week but silly pet sitter let me down last minute :roll: Luckily I have a helpful gran :lol:

I couldn't leave my buns alone... after seeing how quickly Jasp went downhill with stasis that really scared me :shock: I'd just worry all the time :roll:

Back