• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you reckon they "know" where it hurts?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Musings.
When Rudey & Mouse were a couple he would diligently groom the areas of her back most affected by arthritis. Now I've another bunny couple with Eddy grooming Boo, concentrating on areas where her xrays showed her arthritis to be worst. The affected areas are very different on each rabbit. Both Mouse & Boo show/ed their bunny & human companions when they hit the right spot by getting their own tongues out.

So how do bunnies know which areas of their companion are most hurty? Is it by their own body language when grooming? Do they speak to each other? Could the bunny spouse know by watching how they move? Is it by smells / vibes? Or are rabbits just silently all knowing?

Thoughts & experiences please

I think it’s body language/smell. Last week the neighbour brought their dog round to play with my dog, she started to limp and held her leg up, my dog ran straight over and started to lick her leg! Sorry it’s not a bunny story!

I think it’s body language/smell. Last week the neighbour brought their dog round to play with my dog, she started to limp and held her leg up, my dog ran straight over and started to lick her leg! Sorry it’s not a bunny story!

awww Yoshi :love: what a lovely boy. No need to apologise, its totally relevant, still about animal empathy..interesting too. Thanks Zoobec

Idk but I have a dog story too [emoji38] I broke my toe like a month ago ish maybe bit longer, anyway Freddie wouldn't stop licking the bloody thing [emoji38] even after I'd strapped it [emoji19] how did he know?!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I don't know, just animal instinct maybe. I've had a lingering stinky cold for 3 weeks now, week one I had a bad chest and it hurt to cough, George slept snuggled right in between my shoulder blades, he never does that !

Idk but I have a dog story too [emoji38] I broke my toe like a month ago ish maybe bit longer, anyway Freddie wouldn't stop licking the bloody thing [emoji38] even after I'd strapped it [emoji19] how did he know?!

Lucky would bite at my shoes or slippers but if I'm bare foot he licks my toes and he wont bite.

I'd love to know the answer to this as I experienced similar with Peanut Butter and Snoopy.

They were bonded but not particularly close. They didn't really snuggle or groom each other. Peanut Butter was diagnosed with abscesses in both ears quite soon after I adopted him. We treated them very aggressively (surgery and a really long course of penicillin) but sadly it wasn't enough.

I remember towards the end Snoopy started to groom Peanut Butter's ears a lot. He seemed to have somehow known they were hurting. They also then started to spend a lot more time snuggling up together. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure they must have known Peanut Butter didn't have long left.

how did he know??? that is the burning question. Amazing that he did & awwwww:love: Maybe doggies are the biggest empaths of all. I hope your toe recovered with additional tongue therapy :love:

My dad has AZ & their neighbour sometimes visits with cocker spaniel puppy (also a Freddie would you believe) & he always seeks out my dad for a love :love: then goes back to chewing & finding :lol:

I’m subscribing to several hypothesis. Firstly, these beautiful animals have been around on the planet a lot longer than we have - as have millions of other species. They haven’t survived and adapted that long without developing a sense of ailment and how to try and relieve the symptoms. That’s why they instinctively know what herbs or plants to eat when they feel unwell. They are far more in tune to nature than we are. I also think they pick up cues from subtle body language. As non verbal communicators, they must have a special way that we don’t yet understand. Yes things like ears, whiskers etc can perhaps give clues but I believe there’s more to it. I watch my two monsters and there is clear sign they ‘communicate’ and know how the other feels. I didn’t post anything but Flo has had two recent bouts of early stasis which I spotted early and got her to the vet - the last being a couple of weeks back now. The vet gave gut stimulants and metacam as we did but it was the reaction of Bertie that was remarkable. He never left flos side. He stuck to her like glue day and night. He kept her warm (I was sleeping downstairs with them to monitor). So Bertie knew there was a problem and his soul/spirit call it what you want was there constantly and provided Flo with the emotional support. I also think they can detect smells that are way beyond our abilities. I know that some dogs are being used now to detect cancers and also early onset of degenerative conditions so there’s medical evidence to back that up.
We are priviledged to witness and report on such episodes - it demonstrates how we are all in tune in some small ways to our rabbits unique behaviour. X

I don't know, just animal instinct maybe. I've had a lingering stinky cold for 3 weeks now, week one I had a bad chest and it hurt to cough, George slept snuggled right in between my shoulder blades, he never does that !

Georgie :love: another special boy

Hope youre completely better soon PM

I'd love to know the answer to this as I experienced similar with Peanut Butter and Snoopy.

They were bonded but not particularly close. They didn't really snuggle or groom each other. Peanut Butter was diagnosed with abscesses in both ears quite soon after I adopted him. We treated them very aggressively (surgery and a really long course of penicillin) but sadly it wasn't enough.

I remember towards the end Snoopy started to groom Peanut Butter's ears a lot. He seemed to have somehow known they were hurting. They also then started to spend a lot more time snuggling up together. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure they must have known Peanut Butter didn't have long left.

:love: so heart warming

I've definitely had experiences when the healthy bun knows their friend's time is near. Mousey found Rudey being so sick really stressful, she actually cheered up a lot when he went despite them really obviously loving each other

I’m subscribing to several hypothesis. Firstly, these beautiful animals have been around on the planet a lot longer than we have - as have millions of other species. They haven’t survived and adapted that long without developing a sense of ailment and how to try and relieve the symptoms. That’s why they instinctively know what herbs or plants to eat when they feel unwell. They are far more in tune to nature than we are. I also think they pick up cues from subtle body language. As non verbal communicators, they must have a special way that we don’t yet understand. Yes things like ears, whiskers etc can perhaps give clues but I believe there’s more to it. I watch my two monsters and there is clear sign they ‘communicate’ and know how the other feels. I didn’t post anything but Flo has had two recent bouts of early stasis which I spotted early and got her to the vet - the last being a couple of weeks back now. The vet gave gut stimulants and metacam as we did but it was the reaction of Bertie that was remarkable. He never left flos side. He stuck to her like glue day and night. He kept her warm (I was sleeping downstairs with them to monitor). So Bertie knew there was a problem and his soul/spirit call it what you want was there constantly and provided Flo with the emotional support. I also think they can detect smells that are way beyond our abilities. I know that some dogs are being used now to detect cancers and also early onset of degenerative conditions so there’s medical evidence to back that up.
We are priviledged to witness and report on such episodes - it demonstrates how we are all in tune in some small ways to our rabbits unique behaviour. X

Yep but no where near as in tune or intuitive as they are. We are privileged :love: Pleased to hear Bertie is a bunny empath & looking after his girl. Hope she's all better now

awww Yoshi :love: what a lovely boy. No need to apologise, its totally relevant, still about animal empathy..interesting too. Thanks Zoobec

I know, it was so cute :love:

I’m really enjoying reading all the stories, animals are so clever :love:

how did he know??? that is the burning question. Amazing that he did & awwwww:love: Maybe doggies are the biggest empaths of all. I hope your toe recovered with additional tongue therapy :love:

My dad has AZ & their neighbour sometimes visits with cocker spaniel puppy (also a Freddie would you believe) & he always seeks out my dad for a love :love: then goes back to chewing & finding [emoji38]

I know it's so weird! I think a cocker spaniel was first dog to detect cancer in a person too!

Freddie definitely knows when I'm upset too or anxious and he sits by me if I have a panic attack now, he probably thinks I'm a right mess [emoji38] also when Evelyn falls he's the first one there, coz he is so fast and he licks her knees which I'm trying to stop because I feel like dog saliva on a grazed knee isn't the best combo [emoji38] animals are very special souls.

Awhh great name for one altho I'm obviously biased [emoji38] sorry to hear about your dad tho :( animals can be very soothing, my aunt has just got the cancer all clear but has been staying down here for 7 months and Freddie would go straight to her when I'd get there [emoji38]

I've loved all your stories. I'm increasingly thinking it must be smell & intuition. I'm also wondering why if animals are such natural empaths why can't Eddy respects Boo's requests he be less "enthusiastic" around her

It could be that rabbits can smell things we can't. I know they have a good sense of smell, maybe they can smell illness that causes them to lick when they smell something as a natural sense of grooming to clean something off like another bunny who has sores in there ears another bunny might be able to smell it and attempt to groom the poorly bunny.

Back