• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you give your Tramadol?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
(if you use it or have used it Obviously).

I fail everyone to get a full dose into a bunny, either because the syringe had outsmarted me and it's stuck in the nozzle (extra goes doesn't seem to make a difference) or the bunny has outsmarted me and spat it out. It's a tiny tablet and I've tried crushing, cutting, hiding, etc but I'm failing.

How do you do it?

My vet gave me 100 mg tablets as that was all he had. I grind a tablet up and then either mix a few granules with water and syringe that into Dylan or add it to his metacam. He takes it no problem but he takes baytril from the syringe too - he is a philosophical old bun :)

Thanks Rhianna :)

Your post reminded me that I have capsules as well but apparently slightly different from yours because they have a powder in. I tried this and because the amount of powder I would need to give is significantly smaller he took it well hidden in a craisin.

I'm sure you've tried banana but just thought i'd mention it as was only way we could hide Nino's glucosamine powder from capsules. :wave:

Thanks Rhianna :)

Your post reminded me that I have capsules as well but apparently slightly different from yours because they have a powder in. I tried this and because the amount of powder I would need to give is significantly smaller he took it well hidden in a craisin.

Glad I could help:wave:

I think capsules would be easier than the tablets I have but it was all the vet had available. Counting out the granules is a bit hit and miss but Dylan is happier and more 'Dylany' so I will continue as I am doing. He even ate some SS this morning:)

I'm sure you've tried banana but just thought i'd mention it as was only way we could hide Nino's glucosamine powder from capsules. :wave:

Thanks PL. His eating is very hit and miss at the mo so I need to way to try and get it into him in a different way. Craisins are the only things he will now eat when offered.

Glad I could help:wave:

I think capsules would be easier than the tablets I have but it was all the vet had available. Counting out the granules is a bit hit and miss but Dylan is happier and more 'Dylany' so I will continue as I am doing. He even ate some SS this morning:)

That's great news! I'm glad it's working for you :) It worked immensely for Hay Monster and after I give it to Star he trundles off and eats hay which he hasn't done for a while prior.

Happy counting your beads :lol: the things we do, hey!

Hello :wave:. I'm a vet nurse and have my old rabbit on Tramadol and Metacam for arthritis. I really struggled with the tablets and giving her an accurate dose. I now use Tramadol liquid. Vets should be able to write a prescription then you can collect it from a pharmacy. Its a 100mg/ml in a 10ml bottle. Its in a syrup and seems to go down very well :).
Also out of interest what dose are everyones bunnies on? Mine is on 5mg/kg twice daily but I know the dose can be higher than this but none of the vets seem to know how high!
Emily

Hello :wave:. I'm a vet nurse and have my old rabbit on Tramadol and Metacam for arthritis. I really struggled with the tablets and giving her an accurate dose. I now use Tramadol liquid. Vets should be able to write a prescription then you can collect it from a pharmacy. Its a 100mg/ml in a 10ml bottle. Its in a syrup and seems to go down very well :).
Also out of interest what dose are everyones bunnies on? Mine is on 5mg/kg twice daily but I know the dose can be higher than this but none of the vets seem to know how high!
Emily

You're amazing! I'm going to call up and get them to get this in. Thanks!

Mine, who are around 1.5kg-1.8kg (those who have been on it- which is now three) have had the dose you stated, but up to three times a day where needed. So about every 8 hours, although I try to stick to every 12 hours where possible.

Emily

Thank you - I will ask my vet to write a prescription as counting out grains of tablets is very hit and miss. At the moment I give Dylan 5mg twice a day. The difference is amazing - he is nomming happily again now. It must have been pain that stopped him eating before :(

Oh bless him, i'm pleased he's feeling better on the Tramadol. It does seem to work very well and the liquid is much easier :D

Hi :wave:. Your vet will need to write a prescription first then you just collect it from a normal chemist. Its a good idea to phone the chemist first as they don't always keep it in as most people will prob take the tablets but they can order it in for you, usually same day :).

Hi :wave:. Your vet will need to write a prescription first then you just collect it from a normal chemist. Its a good idea to phone the chemist first as they don't always keep it in as most people will prob take the tablets but they can order it in for you, usually same day :).

Ah, human pharmacy! I shall feed that back to my vets. Can they really write a prescription for a human pharmacy? didn't know that!

Back