• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I care for bun with severe head tilt? U/D: My beautiful girl is gone.

Here's Cookie sleeping in my travel pillow, with her leg stretched out

Wow what a brilliant idea! That travel pillow looks designed for her :D

Will she eat a few herbs put near to her nose? I usually crush them a little bit first to release the smell. Coriander and parsley ... or else freshly picked grass - just one or two blades?

Mine also love rose leaves and *especially* rose petals when they are down and out :)

Jacks-Jane - thank you SO MUCH for suggesting the head tilt group! I've only been in it for a few hours, but I've already learnt loads, read loads, had responses and suggestions, and even an offer of local help!

I can't tell you how much that means - I already feel calmer, and I hope I'll be able to help and care for Cookie Bun in a myriad of better ways xxx

Wow what a brilliant idea! That travel pillow looks designed for her :D

Will she eat a few herbs put near to her nose? I usually crush them a little bit first to release the smell. Coriander and parsley ... or else freshly picked grass - just one or two blades?

Mine also love rose leaves and *especially* rose petals when they are down and out :)

She likes coriander and parsley - I hadn't thought to crush them, but that sounds good! She loves rose petals - I grow a bush especially for the buns, but we've emptied it already... Waiting for more!

There's another flower that she *loves* that I also grow. I've forgotten what they're called, but you can get them in all sorts of colours... Pansies? Or... I can't remember. She eats the bells, leaves and stems so I'm picking my way round them too.

We've picked grass, that she normally loves in the summer, but no interest. We've picked bramble leaves too, and she's not interested... She's nibbled on dandelion root, broken fenugreek crunchies and dried mango/papaya (her absolute favourite!). I just did something naughty - I don't usually let her have those dried sweet hanging things with seeds and stuff, but I got one and she got very excited and had a nibble. As poorly as she is, she's rinsing it with the treats. <3

I have a question; what are your thoughts on extra vitamin B for poorly buns? And how would I do that..? And something called Silvercollin... Or something similar... And an anti-nausea medicine that can help stop rolling? Metaclizine or something similar..? The rolling is awful - I've never had a rolling bun before, it's heartbreaking. How long does that usually go on for? I don't know what to do.

Jacks-Jane had some very good points about medication, so I'm reading up on that too.

It's awful seeing her like this. I just want to make her better, she's such a funny, cheeky, feisty and loving little bun.

I'm glad you've managed to get the help and support you need to nurse Cookie through this. It must be so hard seeing her so poorly but I hope you can take heart from the fact that so many bunnies have managed to get through it.

Sending you lots more hugs, you're doing amazingly well xxx

She likes coriander and parsley - I hadn't thought to crush them, but that sounds good! She loves rose petals - I grow a bush especially for the buns, but we've emptied it already... Waiting for more!

There's another flower that she *loves* that I also grow. I've forgotten what they're called, but you can get them in all sorts of colours... Pansies? Or... I can't remember. She eats the bells, leaves and stems so I'm picking my way round them too.

We've picked grass, that she normally loves in the summer, but no interest. We've picked bramble leaves too, and she's not interested... She's nibbled on dandelion root, broken fenugreek crunchies and dried mango/papaya (her absolute favourite!). I just did something naughty - I don't usually let her have those dried sweet hanging things with seeds and stuff, but I got one and she got very excited and had a nibble. As poorly as she is, she's rinsing it with the treats. <3

I have a question; what are your thoughts on extra vitamin B for poorly buns? And how would I do that..? And something called Silvercollin... Or something similar... And an anti-nausea medicine that can help stop rolling? Metaclizine or something similar..? The rolling is awful - I've never had a rolling bun before, it's heartbreaking. How long does that usually go on for? I don't know what to do.

Jacks-Jane had some very good points about medication, so I'm reading up on that too.

It's awful seeing her like this. I just want to make her better, she's such a funny, cheeky, feisty and loving little bun.

I'm glad you found the herb suggestion useful BB :thumb:

Rose petals disappear at the speed of light here too!

Pansies are fine, and they love them. I haven't any this year as I'm growing different stuff.

I use vitamin B for poorly buns. It can stimulate their appetite. Some people don't like to use 'home remedies' and that's fine. In which case your vet can give vitamin B injections.

Silvercollin - do you mean colloidal silver? And Meclizine (aka Sea Legs) is also useful in cases of nausea, although the jury is out as to whether rabbits actually *do* feel nauseous:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

The use of anti-nausea drugs is controversial, as there is no clear evidence that rabbits experience feelings of nausea. They have a different physiology than humans in that they physically do not have the capacity to vomit, so we do not know if motion sickness plays a role in rabbits with vestibular disease, and there is no substantiated evidence that the use of anti-nausea drugs helps improve the condition of rabbits with head tilt. Although there is probably no harm (although this has not been examined, either), these drugs are probably not necessary and it might be best to avoid too many pharmaceuticals given to the rabbit at one time. Some veterinarians feel anti-nausea drugs, like diphenhydramine or meclizine, are useful in the rolling rabbit or one who is not eating.

I'm so glad her wonderful little character is still shining through :D
Sounds like there's still a lot of hope xx

I'm glad you found the herb suggestion useful BB :thumb:

Rose petals disappear at the speed of light here too!

Pansies are fine, and they love them. I haven't any this year as I'm growing different stuff.

I use vitamin B for poorly buns. It can stimulate their appetite. Some people don't like to use 'home remedies' and that's fine. In which case your vet can give vitamin B injections.

Silvercollin - do you mean colloidal silver? And Meclizine (aka Sea Legs) is also useful in cases of nausea, although the jury is out as to whether rabbits actually *do* feel nauseous:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

The use of anti-nausea drugs is controversial, as there is no clear evidence that rabbits experience feelings of nausea. They have a different physiology than humans in that they physically do not have the capacity to vomit, so we do not know if motion sickness plays a role in rabbits with vestibular disease, and there is no substantiated evidence that the use of anti-nausea drugs helps improve the condition of rabbits with head tilt. Although there is probably no harm (although this has not been examined, either), these drugs are probably not necessary and it might be best to avoid too many pharmaceuticals given to the rabbit at one time. Some veterinarians feel anti-nausea drugs, like diphenhydramine or meclizine, are useful in the rolling rabbit or one who is not eating.

I'm so glad her wonderful little character is still shining through :D
Sounds like there's still a lot of hope xx

Yes, colloidal silver - that's it. Should I get some? And the vitamin B - do I just buy some at Holland & Barrett?

Thank you x

I'm really upset and stressed - OH is working and I'm on my own with Cookie. I don't think I can do this - I need to syringe feed her and it's all getting too much now. She hates the critical care and the head tilt means I'm really scared of hurting her. And she is so poorly - maybe I'm being selfish putting her through all this? I don't know what to do. She is so tiny.

I'm really upset and stressed - OH is working and I'm on my own with Cookie. I don't think I can do this - I need to syringe feed her and it's all getting too much now. She hates the critical care and the head tilt means I'm really scared of hurting her. And she is so poorly - maybe I'm being selfish putting her through all this? I don't know what to do. She is so tiny.

I am sorry that you and Cookie are struggling so much. If you feel in your heart that 'enough is enough' and you need to let Cookie go then for what it's worth you have my 100% support. I would urge you to ask the Vet about the Corticosteroid injections and an injectible penicillin based abx though, as a very last resort. Of course you and the Vet may feel that Cookie really cannot endure another day and trying the different drugs may not be an option.

Personally I would not give any complimentary treatments without discussing it with my Vet (my own Vet is certainly NOT against some complimentary treatments when used appropriately).

Sending millions of vibes for Cookie xx

I am sorry that you and Cookie are struggling so much. If you feel in your heart that 'enough is enough' and you need to let Cookie go then for what it's worth you have my 100% support. I would urge you to ask the Vet about the Corticosteroid injections and an injectible penicillin based abx though, as a very last resort. Of course you and the Vet may feel that Cookie really cannot endure another day and trying the different drugs may not be an option.

Personally I would not give any complimentary treatments without discussing it with my Vet (my own Vet is certainly NOT against some complimentary treatments when used appropriately).

It's so hard - she's eating greens that I put by her head at the moment, and she's accepting treats, and she's trying to move around but she rolls.

It's so hard to see her like this - she's so small and tiny and I'm constantly checking if she'd still breathing. It's been such a long hard night. Somehow the dark makes it worse.

I'm crying as I'm writing this - she's such a little fighter. She needs me to fix this and I don't know if I can.

I'll call and ask about the penicillin and injections.

Thank you xx

I don't have any advice to give, I just wanted to send hugs and vibes to you xx

It's so hard - she's eating greens that I put by her head at the moment, and she's accepting treats, and she's trying to move around but she rolls.

It's so hard to see her like this - she's so small and tiny and I'm constantly checking if she'd still breathing. It's been such a long hard night. Somehow the dark makes it worse.

I'm crying as I'm writing this - she's such a little fighter. She needs me to fix this and I don't know if I can.

I'll call and ask about the penicillin and injections.

Thank you xx

It's corticosteroid injections and penicillin injections. The former would provide a significant anti-inflammatory effect and *might* reduce the severity of the vestibular symptoms.

Oh bless you both. I am so sorry you are struggling atm. I think the nights, especially when you're having to syringe feed, and do it alone, are particularly difficult, and of course you are also shattered, which doesn't help. Whatever you decide we are behind you - you have done/are doing everything you can, and that is all you can do. Sending you both hugs and vibes. Xxxx

I just wanted to add my vibes and good wishes for your rabbit. It must be so distressing, but you are really coping so well for Cookie, even if it doesn't feel like it.

It is so very hard :(

You would have my support too.

Thinking of you xxx

It's corticosteroid injections and penicillin injections. The former would provide a significant anti-inflammatory effect and *might* reduce the severity of the vestibular symptoms.

Hi Jane - I've looked it up online. It seems like pretty scary stuff... I also saw an old thread, and I think you had two buns on it and it worked fine?

I've just posted a question in the FB group to see if bunny owners have had positive or negative experiences of it.

It really is the hardest thing I went through as a bunny owner, I've never questioned myself so much in my life. Do you think she might like fibra first sticks rather than pellets, they might be easier for her to eat? . It seems like one of the most distressing things for you is the syringe feeding & it would be wonderful if you could get her eating enough on her own. We have loads of dog rose growing wild here, if you'd like me to send cookie a box, send me a p.m.

Yes, colloidal silver - that's it. Should I get some? And the vitamin B - do I just buy some at Holland & Barrett?

Thank you x

As I mentioned, B vitamins are a supplement and available from your vet if necessary. They are NOT a complementary therapy as some may suggest!

My vet does not know of alternative therapies, so if yours doesn't either you would have to seek out a knowledgable vet, or go it alone. There is resistance on this forum to using alternatives so I don't post publicly :)

Hi Jane - I've looked it up online. It seems like pretty scary stuff... I also saw an old thread, and I think you had two buns on it and it worked fine?

I've just posted a question in the FB group to see if bunny owners have had positive or negative experiences of it.

Having a steroid injection *is* scary, as it depresses the immune system and therefore can allow infections to take a greater hold. I would treat with extreme caution, especially if inner ear infection is suspected.

I would certainly go down the depocillin route, which I have found much safer.

I appreciate your situation with Cookie, and if you feel that she has had enough, I respect fully whatever you decide. I know how much you love her and it will only ever be the best for her.

Sending hugs :love:

Yes, I have had Rabbits who were prescribed a corticosteroid as a last resort, the alternative option being PTS. None of the Rabbits had any adverse side effects and in each case the corticosteroid had a significant and positive impact on their conditions. As I said in my previous posts, the use of corticosteroids has to be done with extreme caution. But when in the last chance saloon what is there to loose ? I would not hesitate in agreeing to a Rabbit in my care having corticosteroids if my Vet deemed it to be appropriate as a last resort.

We're on our way to the vets right now. I don't think she'll be coming back home with me. I love her so much. Please help me be brave and make the right decisions.

Back