• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How active should a rabbit be?

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
I’m new here so first off I’d like to say

Hello!

I adopted two beautiful dwarf x’s from a rescue Friday 22nd Jan. Best day ever! They are called Leafy & Ivy, both around 1 year of age and both are neutered and reported to be perfectly healthy.

They are both very very nervous and skittish. They are warming up to me, so much so that they come running to me for treats which is beautiful! I’m just concerned at the minute because I don’t know how active I should expect them both to be? So in a morning I will go in to feed them and they will eat their pellets, then go usually go into their hide for daytime sleeps. At evening they show their face and I tend to give them some veggies. I’ve finally got them venturing out of their home and exploring the room and they will both do some zoomies for a short time...

They they sort of sit in a particular area and then spend like 8 hours grooming and nap most of the night, not really moving (I know this because I have a cam that I spy on them with and sometimes I don’t sleep. I’m just concerned that they are bored or something but they have so many toys and hides and mazes...😬 at feeding time I try to keep it active by using a treat ball or a forage mat or something.

Is this amount of activity okay do you think?

I found that they do sleep more than you expect! Mine will easily sleep most of the day away some days. But they might just be decompressing from all the changes too, it's a lot to cope with moving home, getting to know new people, new places. Give them time and I'm sure they'll be more interested in what's going on around them. They are more active dawn and dusk though, rather than daylight hours, so don't be surprised if they snooze a lot of the day and come alive in the evening!

Being a night owl, I picked a rabbit because they are generally more active in the evening.

Thanks for replying. I’m an anxious bunmum and want to be sure they are healthy and happy, so I’m constantly worrying about if they are grooming too much, if they are stressed at all, if they are bored...maybe I need to learn to chill so they can also feel more chill. I’m sure they will probably feel my energy.

Lol, it takes a while - and reading more about them doesn't help! Just give them space and time, I'm sure they'll come out of their shells more once they feel safe again.

Susan doesnt move a great deal but when she does she zooms up and down. Rups who is younger moves more but sleeps heavier if that makes sense. They dont seem to want to move a huge amount in the day time but evenings are more so.

Depends. Sherlock ( nethie/polish mix I guess, has little over 2 lbs) was jumping his butt in the air 2 hours after we brought him home. He is a little tornado, he runs like crazy, loves to run in the big terrace (little over 430 sq. ft). On the other hand-does not like to be touched, handled, groomed. Clicker training in progress. We got him in june, he is little under one year now, neutered in september. If he does not get to run outside he becames really naughtly little bun. He is not free roamed but is contained to hallway and joins us with supervision and gate betwin living room (Brko is not his friend yet).

Brko (mini rex mix) was shy foror two weeks but with help of some tunnel hideout system started to discovery. He was then soon lovabale, loved petting, he was active, but not as much. He is moderate to low active.

Rabbits like to graze a lot of the time, so make sure they have plenty of hay. They like places to hide so they feel safe. How old are they?

Depends. Sherlock ( nethie/polish mix I guess, has little over 2 lbs) was jumping his butt in the air 2 hours after we brought him home. He is a little tornado, he runs like crazy, loves to run in the big terrace (little over 430 sq. ft). On the other hand-does not like to be touched, handled, groomed. Clicker training in progress. We got him in june, he is little under one year now, neutered in september. If he does not get to run outside he becames really naughtly little bun. He is not free roamed but is contained to hallway and joins us with supervision and gate betwin living room (Brko is not his friend yet).

Brko (mini rex mix) was shy foror two weeks but with help of some tunnel hideout system started to discovery. He was then soon lovabale, loved petting, he was active, but not as much. He is moderate to low active.

Mine do the zoomies in private, away from human eyes (or so they think, but the spy cam sees all) and they will do some exploration too even when I’m around. I’m thinking of making a tunnel system. May I ask what kind of stuff you used for tunnels?

Susan doesnt move a great deal but when she does she zooms up and down. Rups who is younger moves more but sleeps heavier if that makes sense. They dont seem to want to move a huge amount in the day time but evenings are more so.

Susan sounds much like these two then! I was just concerned about boredom but they have each other and toys and hides and each other and me fit a few hours of the day too....

And food.....

Rabbits like to graze a lot of the time, so make sure they have plenty of hay. They like places to hide so they feel safe. How old are they?

They get unlimited hay. I started mixing in some forage stuff to get them eating more and some oat hay too (only a small amount) as one of them isn’t as big a hay eater as the other.

Both are around 1 year!

I think they are all different tbh!

My Daughters rabbit is about 5 months and is rarely still! He runs around with the cats, binkies constantly!

He does have a siesta though in the afternoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back