• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Two difficult Bunnies

Hi there,
I have owned my two ex breeding rabbits for about a year now, both have come from a place where there needs may not have be met and they weren't at their happiest. Considering their pasts, they both have behavioural issues, one has aggression problems, this may be due to the fact that she is partially blind, so she considers anything that moves a threat to her and that for most of her life she has been handled incorrectly. My second ex breeder can be extremely timid at times and is scared of everything (Even her water bottle and toys at first!). I am currently working with both of them to earn their trust and form a bond with them. We tried to bond the two together (As they had been kept alone previously and never set eyes on another rabbit apart from breeding purposes) As we thought that they would seek comfort from each other, however their fear of everything got in the way and it didn't work out.

They are currently kept in a 4x8foot run, split in half in a DIY sort of way, however this is not ideal and we are currently seeking out for a more permanent housing solution. I came across lots of people who had converted old playhouses/sheds into large rabbit houses, with runs attached. This looked perfect until I realised that I had two rabbits to house, who don't get on. I considered splitting the playhouse in half with a form of fencing so that the girls had space to themselves, however, considering the amount of space I have to play with, this would dramatically decrease the amount of space each bun had.

I want the best for my girls, and I've tried to think of different housing solutions and failed. I had my heart set on a playhouse/shed conversion and still want it to happen, however, I need help thinking of a way to provide each bun with enough space, with the least amount of money spent possible and with a limited amount of space. I'm already spending money on an indoor enclosure for my house rabbit, as I've got a limited budget.

I know its a big ask, and I'm sorry that this was so long, but does anyone have any outdoor housing ideas for my two female ex breeders? They deserve the best after what they have been through and I would love to spoil them as much as I can.

Thank you. :D:wave:

P.s Hutches are a big no, as they are generally too small for most rabbits and my girls are quite large, so it just wouldn't be suitable.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum:wave:

I was wondering if youd have any luck looking on ebay/gumtree/preloved for second hand playhouses you would be able to "do up"and convert into bunny lodgings,likewise second hand runs or panels to convert into runs if you or someone you know is good at diy.I expect you've probably thought along those lines though.

Re hutches,you are right,there are a lot of terrible tiny hutches on the market but if your girls aren't giant or really big,there are some good ones with runs attached made by Welfare Hutches and other makes recommended by RWAF.Im wondering if a second hand one might be an idea.

Hope you find something youre happy with soon.

If you can afford it, what about a kennel. It would have to be about 12' long with a sleeping area at each end and a divider in the middle. This would give each rabbit 6' x 4' with wire divider so they would still be able to sit next to one another. Each section would need a door of course so you can get in. Bigger would be better as 6 x 4 is the minimum really.

If you can afford it, what about a kennel. It would have to be about 12' long with a sleeping area at each end and a divider in the middle. This would give each rabbit 6' x 4' with wire divider so they would still be able to sit next to one another. Each section would need a door of course so you can get in. Bigger would be better as 6 x 4 is the minimum really.

I was going to suggest the same. You can get double kennels, which are often one construction so work out a bit cheaper than buying two single kennels. They are walk-in, so would have scope to create levels and give extra space. I had a triple kennel made a few years ago, just to give you an idea http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422172-A-new-paint-job-for-Wabbit-Wednesday&highlight=lavender+mews

They are often made to order, so you should be able to specify which gauge of weldmesh you want and also have the doorway from kennel to run area made smaller from dog-size to bunny-size.

I love my kennels. They are easy to keep clean, undercover so you don't get soaked in bad weather and they are a nice environment for the rabbits.

Back