• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing ideas? please help!

Hello Everyone! i am planning to get 2 rabbits (probably netherland dwarf) and i want to give the bast home i can (obviously) now we have a paved spot at the end of our garden which would be great- its sheltered and only in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. The guinea pig hutch is already situated here and i am planning on putting some kind of shared run which they could both have access to in order save space for us and give space to them ( dont worry they wouldnt use it at the same time). I would love a shed/playhouse for the rabbits because of the height, however the paving slabs are uneven and i think they are on a bit of a slope so that is out of the question; but if anyone has a way to solve that problem without repaving it that would be much appreciated! :)
now the sheds plan is out the window we are thinking of a 3x6 double story hutch attached to a diy 7x6x2 (LxWxH) run but its not my perfect idea as they wouldnt have the height i want them to

i would like advise on alternatives to hutches or a good place to buy large cheap hutches.
would a bike shed work? or would it encounter the same problems as a normal shed?
also i dont know how to post pictures on here but if someone could explain i could show you the available space :)

if you are feeling extemely adventurous and want to come up with your own idea here are the secifications (it helps to draw it):
We have a 7 foot by 9'6 foot rectangle to use, please comment ideas of how we could use the space and any ideas of where to buy stuff
here are some details:
the 2 by 6 foot guinea pig hutch has to fit somewhere inside the rectangle with access to the run
we are planning to make a diy run so any dimensions can be made
The rabbits need a place to shelter over night
and btw the rabbits will have a daytime run attached onto the grass which will be approximately 7 foot by 4 foot .

Have you had a look through the outdoor housing stickies? Is there anything on there you like the look of?
To post photos you need to use photobucket (or similar) and then link them from there to here. I am sure someone will be along soon to describe the how to post photographs better than me [emoji3]

Hello there and welcome. Playhouses/sheds are far better than hutches in that they offer more safety from predators and more shelter from the weather. Hutches really need to be covered as the wood isn't as strong as that of a Playhouse. A bike shed won't be suitable as they are only 3' deep and too dark when you close the doors. You can get around the problem of uneven slabs or a slope by bricks or similar to level it, so when you put the bearers down you will be able to fill in any uneven gaps, if you can follow me. As long as the base is level for the shed to sit on it will be ok.

Back