• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi!! I would like some help about a young mum!

acevenden

New Kit
Hello! My name is Anya.

I have two female 4/5 month black lop ears- I got them on Sunday and yesterday one gave birth to twins!! I could really do with some advice and help! I have separated the bunnies so mum is just with her babies and she seems to be caring for them okay, she has (with a little encouragement) made a nest for them now and I have been leaving her alone just feeding her and spot cleaning with a peek at the babies to check they are okay.

My question is; when should I let the mother out from the cage to play on the floor and stretch her legs properly? For the first two days Baby (the now mum) and Tilly were running about all day for hours -my bunnies are kept indoors and cages are at a height so we're at the same level but it means I have to pick her up and take her out to put her on the floor to play..I feel bad that she's not getting a lot of exercise in her cage at the moment, i'm not a massive fan of keeping animals in cages either but I don't want to temporarily take her away from her babies as it could be very dangerous/traumatic for both mum and baby. I mean, the cage is big enough for two but I like my bunnies to have a lot of freedom... Can I have some suggestions about when I can take her out to have a good run around? Tilly is getting her daily run around and can see Baby (and her babies) from her cage. :) :love:

Thanks !!

A

Hello and welcome. Firstly, are you sure Tilly is a girl as if you are sure then it will be ok for Baby to come out as normal. She will appreciate some time out of the cage as Mums only tend to feed their young once a day. You will have to monitor them if you put them out together in case Tilly attacks Baby as she might smell differently, but hopefully it will be all right. Please feel free to ask anything else.

Hi there, thanks so much for your help. :) We are going to check today if Tilly is actually a girl and try introduce the two again, unfortunately the babies both left us within the last 2 days- which upset me and my husband quite a lot. We tried everything we could (including 2 hours of tiny bunny chest compressions) but they just didn't make it. Baby seems okay though- still eating, drinking, playing and being her usual bubbly self. I'm not sure she really understands what happened as she's only just 5 months old herself..she seemed to freak out and jump when the babies had wriggled near her. It's a really big shame though, we both were extremely upset about it- we gave them a nice burial though. At least I still have 2 beautiful bunnies that are happy and healthy.

:)

Anya

Welcome to the forum :) I'm sorry to hear about the babies. With mum being so young herself, and possibly related to dad with them being young it makes problems more likely. Do get a vet to double check the sexes and please complain to wherever you got them from!

welcome2-1_zpsc2zsdhld.gif

Back