• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Here's the housing plan for my two new rescue buns - ideas?

DeeAisha

Young Bun
Am gutted to discover the chicken coop I've bought and is on the way - which I thought was massive - falls short of RSPCA guidelines for keeping two buns. 26sq ft not 36 sq ft. They've lived in 6sq ft for the last 7 years so I'm just trying to cling to that - conditions are better than they have ever been. Guess I'm going to have to tame them quick smart so they can be more free range than I imagined.

Anyway. Bedroom area - newspaper lining topped with wood shavings, with plenty of straw to nest in. Are rabbits like guinea pigs in that they know what to do with their bedding seasonally? My pigs used to stamp it down in hot weather and fluff it up in winter. Living area - newspaper lining topped with wood shavings. Everyday run (part of coop) - it will sit on concrete. I've read a million times that this is OK but wouldn't mind reassurance. I haven't bought them a run for the lawn yet but plan to get one - change of scenery, grazing...

Two 1000ml water bottles - one upstairs in living area, one downstairs in coop. One food bowl. A hay rack. Plastic tunnel. Ball I can poke bits of food in. Toying with the idea of a dirt box - deep litter tray filled with mud to rootle about in. Worth it?

Is there anything I've missed? What do your buns love?

Thanks

Dee

I don't think wood shavings are not too good for bunnies it affects their breathing amongst other problems, paper and straw for bedding would be enough.

If you have room for a cat litter tray with wood based litter and hay it may make cleaning out easier. Bunnies tend to pee and poo in the same place.

Hi :wave: sadly a lot of those chicken coops advertised for rabbits are actually too small. But sounds like you are doing a great job setting up their home - perhaps you could add the run to the coop so they have more space, then take it onto the lawn when you want them to graze?

It all sounds good to me - i wouldnt use woodshavings as it can cause respiratory issues. Megazorb is the best litter - about £7 for an 80L sack, very absorbent, lasts ages, absorbs smells etc. So they need a litter tray in the 'bed' area and maybe one in the run too. They may also prefer to drink from a bowl, but see how it goes. For toys, cardboard boxes are cheap and fun, and anything they can hide in or sit on - stools, boxes, little kids tables, etc. Can be picked up cheaply in second hand stores.

Can we have pictures of your set up when you've done it? please?!

I don't think wood shavings are not too good for bunnies it affects their breathing amongst other problems, paper and straw for bedding would be enough.

If you have room for a cat litter tray with wood based litter and hay it may make cleaning out easier. Bunnies tend to pee and poo in the same place.

Thanks - I've read conflicting reports on whether shavings are bad or not. I used to have rats and they had wood based litter instead of shavings, thinking about it - wasn't that expensive either. Thanks for reminding me!

I'm kinda hoping that their pee/poo space is in the living area of their 'hutch' - it has a slide out tray floor! Should make for an easy change. If not, litter tray an excellent plan.

Dee

Hi :wave: sadly a lot of those chicken coops advertised for rabbits are actually too small. But sounds like you are doing a great job setting up their home - perhaps you could add the run to the coop so they have more space, then take it onto the lawn when you want them to graze?

It all sounds good to me - i wouldnt use woodshavings as it can cause respiratory issues. Megazorb is the best litter - about £7 for an 80L sack, very absorbent, lasts ages, absorbs smells etc. So they need a litter tray in the 'bed' area and maybe one in the run too. They may also prefer to drink from a bowl, but see how it goes. For toys, cardboard boxes are cheap and fun, and anything they can hide in or sit on - stools, boxes, little kids tables, etc. Can be picked up cheaply in second hand stores.

Can we have pictures of your set up when you've done it? please?!

You can indeed have pics. Wish I'd done a bit more research before ordering the coop - was too busy trying to get something quickly so I can collect the buns this weekend and they can start their new life ASAP! Though I can't really afford anything bigger anyway - this time last week I had no intention of getting rabbits, the coop was a steal at £119 in the sale - so I think it'll be a case of adding to it later. Hey - don't want to scare them with too much space from day 1! Though using the lawn run as an extension has potential... Does creating surfaces to sit on count towards my square footage? ;) I could put a *lot* of small tables in there... I've been reading about hutch size and at least I know they'll both be able to stretch full length in their bedroom now.

Megazorb sounds ace and affordable - thanks for the tip. I take it I put the litter trays in after a day or two when I know where they like to toilet? Is it the same as litter training a rat - put a bit of their soiled litter into it so they know what it's for?

Dee

That must have been a bit gutting when you realised the coop wasn't big enough! I should think if you explain to the rescue that you're going to get a movable run too, they will hopefully be able to flex their requirements a bit.

I rehomed a RSPCA bunny a few weeks ago. I ordered her a playhouse but it had an expected delivery date that was two months away. The RSPCA were happy for me to take her as a house rabbit until the playhouse turned up and were really quite understanding about it. I thought they might refuse to home a rabbit with me until I had the right housing here and set up for them to inspect (I did make a point of taking a catalog and a receipt for the playhouse so they had proof it was on the way).

Everything you've listed for your bunnies sounds good! Is the coop roof quite high? How about adding some shelves/low tables for the bunnies to hop on and off of? (In a way, this provides more floor space too! ;)).

ETA - when I wrote about the tables, there weren't any other posts mentioning them yet! LOL! Now I look daft! :roll::lol:

Last edited:
That must have been a bit gutting when you realised the coop wasn't big enough! I should think if you explain to the rescue that you're going to get a movable run too, they will hopefully be able to flex their requirements a bit.

I rehomed a RSPCA bunny a few weeks ago. I ordered her a playhouse but it had an expected delivery date that was two months away. The RSPCA were happy for me to take her as a house rabbit until the playhouse turned up and were really quite understanding about it. I thought they might refuse to home a rabbit with me until I had the right housing here and set up for them to inspect (I did make a point of taking a catalog and a receipt for the playhouse so they had proof it was on the way).

Everything you've listed for your bunnies sounds good! Is the coop roof quite high? How about adding some shelves/low tables for the bunnies to hop on and off of? (In a way, this provides more floor space too! ;)).

Bunnies aren't from a rescue - they're my sister's. I can't look at them in their tiny cage any longer so am staging an intervention (she's happy about this, btw. No bunnynapping!) The coop is 1.2 metres tall so could fit a low table in there and fudge the floorspace a bit. ;) Will see when I get it - would be most perverse of me to rescue them from their tiny hutch then put them in a bigger one they can't turn round in either. Like budgies in cages surrounded by bits of plastic tat.

Dee

Bunnies aren't from a rescue - they're my sister's. I can't look at them in their tiny cage any longer so am staging an intervention (she's happy about this, btw. No bunnynapping!) The coop is 1.2 metres tall so could fit a low table in there and fudge the floorspace a bit. ;) Will see when I get it - would be most perverse of me to rescue them from their tiny hutch then put them in a bigger one they can't turn round in either. Like budgies in cages surrounded by bits of plastic tat.

Dee

Ohhh! :lol: At least that means you don't have a homecheck to worry about! :wave: I would think that they will have enough space with what you've ordered to start off with. It'll propably take them a little while to get used to all the new space and when they are settled and happy, you could attach your run. :wave:

Ohhh! :lol: At least that means you don't have a homecheck to worry about! :wave: I would think that they will have enough space with what you've ordered to start off with. It'll propably take them a little while to get used to all the new space and when they are settled and happy, you could attach your run. :wave:

Have just been to PAH and spent £60 on STUFF! Never happier than when I'm shopping. Red polka dot food bowl - essential, you know. As well as different types of hay (who knew hay had flavours?!), straw, wood litter (need to find somewhere cheaper for that), wood chews, hay balls, ball balls, flystrike spray stuff, a tunnel... Rather taken with a sisal welcome mat and an edible raffia allotment, but managed to step away before husband divorces me.

All I need now is the coop and the buns!

Dee

Have just been to PAH and spent £60 on STUFF! Never happier than when I'm shopping. Red polka dot food bowl - essential, you know. As well as different types of hay (who knew hay had flavours?!), straw, wood litter (need to find somewhere cheaper for that), wood chews, hay balls, ball balls, flystrike spray stuff, a tunnel... Rather taken with a sisal welcome mat and an edible raffia allotment, but managed to step away before husband divorces me.

All I need now is the coop and the buns!

Dee

For hay and the like, you can normally buy them from a farm shop- cheaper and good quality

For hay and the like, you can normally buy them from a farm shop- cheaper and good quality

Good plan - and I drive past one every day so convenient too. Thanks. Have found a localish supplier of Megazorb so that's a corner cut.

Dee

Good plan - and I drive past one every day so convenient too. Thanks. Have found a localish supplier of Megazorb so that's a corner cut.

Dee

Buy bales of hay- even with just a few bunnies they are so much cheaper than bagged hay.

Coop arrived today! Am itching to put the boy to bed so I can get out and put it up and see how big/small it is. Though have discovered my sister has a small run for them - 4ft x 2ft - so am going to add that to the coop from day one - extra 8sq ft makes the whole thing more comfortable in my head.

Dee

Firstly, welcome to the forum :wave:. Secondly, try not to worry too much about the size of the accommodation. You sound like a very caring person who is itching to do the best for her bunnies. You'll soon have it sorted so it meets your high expectations! In the first instance, it's going to be great to increase their space dramatically compared to what they're used to. Extensions can be added in due course.

Ditto to bales of hay - much cheaper than buying small bags in a pet shop. I note you're in Derbyshire. If you want some *nice* ie. expensive :lol: hay, may I suggest www.dustfreehay.co.uk near Rudgeley. Most buns seem to love their stalky hay and it's great quality. But there's nothing wrong with a quality bale from a farm at around £3.50.

Best of luck and PLEASE post photos when your bunnies are at home in their new space.

Firstly, welcome to the forum :wave:. Secondly, try not to worry too much about the size of the accommodation. You sound like a very caring person who is itching to do the best for her bunnies. You'll soon have it sorted so it meets your high expectations! In the first instance, it's going to be great to increase their space dramatically compared to what they're used to. Extensions can be added in due course.

Ditto to bales of hay - much cheaper than buying small bags in a pet shop. I note you're in Derbyshire. If you want some *nice* ie. expensive :lol: hay, may I suggest www.dustfreehay.co.uk near Rudgeley. Most buns seem to love their stalky hay and it's great quality. But there's nothing wrong with a quality bale from a farm at around £3.50.

Best of luck and PLEASE post photos when your bunnies are at home in their new space.

Thank you for lovely welcome. Not going to post pictures though - put the coop up just and it's loads smaller than it needs to be, and have already seen the roasty replies people get when their buns are in too-small spaces . :( Very disappointed. Rationally I know it's way better than where they are, but emotionally it's not what I wanted at all. And I am an impatient person - I want it bigger now! My only saving grace now will be that the rabbits are smaller than I remember so the palatial proportions are restored in my mind.

It's a good quality coop though. Good starting point for extensions, if I'm looking on the bright side. Husband is grumbling at thought of extending it already, but think we'll be out there on Sunday seeing what can be done.

Gah. You know when you think you've done a good thing, and you just haven't?

Thanks for hay tip. I had no idea there was more than one kind of hay, let alone that it varied in quality. I'd heard of Timothy Hay, but thought it was a brand, like Reggie Rat. :oops: Rubbish. Their two bale pack of regular hay is £17.99. How long do you think that will last for two bunnies? I've decided that they can sleep on straw so hay is just for eating, in theory.

Dee (bit glum)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You sound like you are going to make a fantastic bunny mum as you are taking in advise and willing to learn. There is so much conflicting information out there it can be difficult knowing what to do for the best. I've been keeping bunnies for over 12 years and am still learning, especially with the kind help of Fat Fluffs who keep sending lovely bunnies for me to foster.

If you buy dust free hay, the most economical way to buy it is to large bale (costs £27). It lasts me around 6 - 8 weeks with 2 bunnies in the house and a foster bunny in the shed. Even the toothless foster bunny loved the stalky stuff :lol:

There are lots of different types of hay. The hay experts have a good selection their website is:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...y+Type.130/?osCsid=pjmlovuef7u3fpvs5moq4ttec1

Hope you enjoy keeping bunnies although beware, they can be addictive :)

£27 for 6-8 weeks seems very reasonable indeed - thanks for the tip.

I collected the buns and they're out in their coop now. I named them Dandelion and Daffodil. Dandelion is brave and fearless - he has already been nose to nose with our dog through the wire and he was alert and friendly sniffing, as was Lola the dog. So maybe they can be friends one day. Daffodil is very timid. The car journey totally freaked him out, but he's pottering about now nicely. We stayed in the garden with them for a bit but I think it scared them, so now we're inside and watching them out of the window. They're very lovely.

And not smaller than I remember. Bigger, if anything. We've been given a 4 x 2 run that we can immediately add to the coop which makes it feel bearable for me while I have a think about the long-term picture. I'm thinking one of those Trixie pens around the door of the coop with a net over it. Should take them to about 30sq ft, which I know is still short but I need to be able to get out of my back door!

I'm going to give them a few days to find their feet and settle in then let them run on the yard. Maybe if they get 3 or 4 hours free ranging a day it'll all be OK.

They're so soft. :love: I can see rabbits are going to be addictive.

D x

We have a large coop/ run and we built ramps and table top type things to give different levels etc. Bunnies are kept inside this at night but have a grassy run from the coop itself during the day. (You can either use cat flaps for this or the door). That way they get lots of running space!! A few bits of wood (apple/ willow always good) lying around or strategically screwed to areas of the run will keep your new coop intact and give the bunnies something to keep their teeth trim. :)

We have a large coop/ run and we built ramps and table top type things to give different levels etc. Bunnies are kept inside this at night but have a grassy run from the coop itself during the day. (You can either use cat flaps for this or the door). That way they get lots of running space!! A few bits of wood (apple/ willow always good) lying around or strategically screwed to areas of the run will keep your new coop intact and give the bunnies something to keep their teeth trim. :)

Ooh - a cat flap from the other end of the coop is a good idea. That would work...

D x

Back