• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with skin issue

Clair071085

Warren Scout
4278f5abcc80425bed73e08c8201446e.jpg

Hello, Iv finally managed to use tapitalk app for pics [emoji4]. I will post pics of bellas skin condition here. I posted about her & to introduce myself & a bit about the situation in the say hi section. As I said both girls have been neglected & Bella has an awful condition I can only think is a parasite infection but as I’m a new owner I don’t know. The thing is shadow doesn’t have it so I can’t understand why if it was that she hasn’t got it from her. Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated please. I have for now bought beaphar anti parasite spit on to apply to both till I can see the vet for diagnosis. I can’t see it harming them to have it & maybe it will clear it up as it’s for mites which I think it might be after research online. It’s like really thick dandruff, hair loss, bald patches & on lower back & near rear end area. Thank you for reading
6e39cc9dd6cf11601db65c2b4ab044d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4278f5abcc80425bed73e08c8201446e.jpg

Hello, Iv finally managed to use tapitalk app for pics [emoji4]. I will post pics of bellas skin condition here. I posted about her & to introduce myself & a bit about the situation in the say hi section. As I said both girls have been neglected & Bella has an awful condition I can only think is a parasite infection but as I’m a new owner I don’t know. The thing is shadow doesn’t have it so I can’t understand why if it was that she hasn’t got it from her. Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated please. I have for now bought beaphar anti parasite spit on to apply to both till I can see the vet for diagnosis. I can’t see it harming them to have it & maybe it will clear it up as it’s for mites which I think it might be after research online. It’s like really thick dandruff, hair loss, bald patches & on lower back & near rear end area. Thank you for reading
6e39cc9dd6cf11601db65c2b4ab044d0.jpg

Hey :)

Looks like mites to me, I wouldn't use those spot on treatments tbh, I think they are useless and can be a bit dangerous honestly.

If you take her to the vets they'll be able to give her an injection (normally they have a couple over a few weeks) and it clears up very quickly :)

Hopefully someone else will be along incase I'm wrong [emoji38] but honestly I'd take her to a rabbit savvy vet so she can get appropriate treatment ASAP :)

Hi, thank you for commenting. Yes I really think it is & I read a post on here about the injections they can get. I’m going to get her to vets ASAP for that. It’s just so strange shadow doesn’t have. It’s much worse than the pics I posted it’s really bad & she’s covered & looks like horrendous dandruff. She’s so over weight she can clean properly but is on a diet now �� xx

Hi, thank you for commenting. Yes I really think it is & I read a post on here about the injections they can get. I’m going to get her to vets ASAP for that. It’s just so strange shadow doesn’t have. It’s much worse than the pics I posted it’s really bad & she’s covered & looks like horrendous dandruff. She’s so over weight she can clean properly but is on a diet now �� xx

Hi, its not so unusual for one bun to get mites & the other not. A decent vet will want to treat all buns your bunny has contact with. As Graicee says a vet will treat with invectermin- mine uses a topical solution. I think the main issue could be with OTC treatments they aren't strong enough. Many things stop a rabbit being unable to groom (overweight is a major one so good you've got her on a diet). Hopefully vet will check teeth & skeletal health as these can impact on grooming ability too. Its thought bunnies will come in to contact with mites but a healthy bun can manage them by grooming out. This is probably why only one of you rabbits is infected. Treatment is typically up to 3 sessions

Hi, its not so unusual for one bun to get mites & the other not. A decent vet will want to treat all buns your bunny has contact with. As Graicee says a vet will treat with invectermin- mine uses a topical solution. I think the main issue could be with OTC treatments they aren't strong enough. Many things stop a rabbit being unable to groom (overweight is a major one so good you've got her on a diet). Hopefully vet will check teeth & skeletal health as these can impact on grooming ability too. Its thought bunnies will come in to contact with mites but a healthy bun can manage them by grooming out. This is probably why only one of you rabbits is infected. Treatment is typically up to 3 sessions

Thank you for replying. Iv had a right carry on with vets who don’t even stock or even know what invermectin is!! They can’t treat her said they just have spot on which I said is not good enough as it’s the same stuff you buy at pets at home basically. (Vet confirmed this) I’m ow trying to find a vet who will give injections as it’s just awful. They are both going to vets for full health check. Poor bellas so overweight she can’t groom properly. I’m hardly giving any pellets now & need to do a post on whether I can cut them completely toget weight down. They eat hay but not enough in my opinion. That’s a concern as my pigs go through loads & I use hay box hay. Xx

Also I just realised the pic I put of the rabbit was one I saved from online while researching bellas skin condition. I need to updat that silly me. Hers is so much worse than that wee bit of the dandruff stuff, it’s horrendous poor soul xx

Back