• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with making a bunny flap in a shed

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Hiya
well I've got my shed up and it looks great and has a 6x4ft run next to it so I need to make a little bunny flap so the buns can get in and out during the day.
Someone posted a great shed conversion step by step on here a while a go that showed a close up pic but cant remember who it was!
So any help and especially pics would be great.:)

I'm currently looking into getting a shed and run for some rescue rabbits. They'd have free range of the bunny-proofed yard while I was in, but I want a permanent access run for them too.

Just a couple of questions for cat flap users: is a standard cat flap OK for your average-sized rabbit? Do they all cope with getting in and out through it? I had a cat once who had to have the flap held open so it is a bit of a concern!

my brother-in-law cut a rabbit size hole in the side of my shed and then made a little wooden "door" that slots in to fit the hole (the hole has pieces of wood all round it and the door fits into them). I can lift the piece of wood out (it has a hook on the top) when the rabs are coming out and put it back when they go to bed at night - hope that makes sense. It works well for us

my brother-in-law cut a rabbit size hole in the side of my shed and then made a little wooden "door" that slots in to fit the hole (the hole has pieces of wood all round it and the door fits into them). I can lift the piece of wood out (it has a hook on the top) when the rabs are coming out and put it back when they go to bed at night - hope that makes sense. It works well for us

could you possibly take a picture?

My buns use a cat flap with no probs! Took them a few days to figure it out-I just left the flap off for the first couple of days so they could get used to going through the hole and knew what was on the other side. When I put the flap on, I put them in the run first then let them hear me filling the food bowl-worked a treat;)

Do you mean this kind of thing?

loghall1.jpg

Cut your gap with a jigsaw (it helps to drill holes in the corners first to get a start point). Your door needs to be wider and taller than the hole. Put a strip of wood at each side of the hole, the same thickness as your door. Might be good to use thick plywood - I just used all sorts of bits I had left over! Then put another strip of wood at each side on top of the first strip but overlapping so it forms an enclosure for the door to slot in.

Hope that makes sense..? :? :)

Back