• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with litter training...

Sayrah82

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

Apologies if I am repeating a question asked elsewhere...

Mac and Albie, (who are both 11 weeks old) decided as soon as I got them home (3wks ago) that the 'bedroom' bit of their hutch is the most appropriate place to do their business. Initially I thought fine, put their litter tray in the corner they were using, and thought I might eventually persuade them to use the tray moved somewhere else. They seemed to embrace the litter tray and I thought we were getting somewhere. Now though, one of them - Mac, i think has decided that he wants to dig everything out of the litter tray, so every time I come home and check them the whole bedroom is covered in soiled litter, and the tray is empty!!

I know they sleep outside the door of the bedroom, but I'm worried about them being warm enough in winter if they don't sleep in there, and I'd love to solve the bathroom problem, as I'm wasting so much bedding having to clean out the whole bedroom every day.

Thoughts anyone?!

Thanks!!

Sarah.x

You might struggle to litter train them fully until they are neutered. Unfortunately many bunnies find litter trays a digging challenge! The best thing I've found is to use deep boxes, like those for under beds. I also stopped using paper at the bottom and made sure there was a thick layer of hay over the top to stop them getting to the bedding.

As for the cold, if they have plenty of hay to snuggle into they will probably sleep in the litter tray. Mine always did when they were in a hutch.

You might struggle to litter train them fully until they are neutered. Unfortunately many bunnies find litter trays a digging challenge! The best thing I've found is to use deep boxes, like those for under beds. I also stopped using paper at the bottom and made sure there was a thick layer of hay over the top to stop them getting to the bedding.

As for the cold, if they have plenty of hay to snuggle into they will probably sleep in the litter tray. Mine always did when they were in a hutch.

Sleeping in the toilet :roll: ...fair enough!! I shall stop worrying about it then!! Great tip about the deep boxes - will pick one up at the weekend, should make it easier to clean if nothing else. Do you use megazorb? Seen lots of people talking about it on here - is it worth getting hold of some?

Thanks Schuette,

S.x

If there's enough hay then it'll create a barrier between the wet bedding and their footsies. You'll need to keep an eye that it doesn't get too dirty.

I use megazorb yes. I find it excellent stuff. I get mine from a horse suppliers. Unfortunately it seems it only comes in 80L bags and nothing smaller. The Hay Experts sell it online.

Great, I shall order some... ...and do some miracle rearranging of my miniature house to find somewhere to put it. Who knew two little bunnies would have so much stuff!!:lol:

Tell me about it! Mine are now taking over the garage despite being house buns. :lol:

My two boys were exactly the same i had a boxed in bedroom area and a shelf on top i put corner litter tray in bedroom as they decided they like to do it in the corner and one on shelf above them i used large cat litter tray quite deep filled them both with layer of megazorb and then lots soft hay they did always tip out the corner one in bedroom but never saw them sleep in there anyway they preferred to be up against the mesh nosing as they lazed lol, since moving them in the shed i keep the large cat litter tray and got another one i got rid of corner one as was too small, in winter i will still fill bedroom on hutch (thats inside the shed now) with straw and i am betting the will go back to weeing in corner but will just see i have lino down so easy enough to clean now, you will find as they get older they get bit cleanlier and prefer to wee in same place in litter tray and the poops that seem everywhere at first also go more in the trays too as thats the only place i fill with loads hay they like to poop while they eat mine are both castrated now and are fully litter trained which is great find the odd poop here and there but not much they also wee on any soft beds i put in so looks like they will have no snuggles in winter:roll:, just keep persevering with litter trays even if they tip out scoop back up and leave bit of dirty litter in there to train them they will catch on eventually :wave:

Back