• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with before and after sterilization

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
I got a neutering appointment for July 3rd. I have no experience with this, Cookie is my first pet. Now I have a few questions and I need your help.

1. What should I pay attention to before the operation, is there anything I should do?
2. What should I pay attention to after the operation?
3. What drugs and supplies (syringe for feeding etc) should I have on hand?
4. Also what are the painkillers and intestinal meds I should have on hand for my bunny?

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps. :)

Before his op’ he should have a thorough check up by the Vet. Unlike other species Rabbits do not have to be starved before a GA,they can be fed as normal.

After the op he should have started to nibble at food and pass some poop and wee before being discharged home. Once home eating a bit and pooping and weeing should continue, albeit he is unlikely to eat as much as normal and his poo output may be less than normal for the first 24 hours. He will probably be a bit groggy too. The Vet should supply you with an anti inflammatory analgesic such as Meloxicam to administer to him daily for the first 3-5 days. He should not need gut motility meds unless he is not eating and pooping once he gets home. The gut motility meds given are usually Metoclopramide and Cisipride. Not eating once home would also mean he needed to be syringe fed. Your Vet should supply you will a food supplement and disposable syringes to enable you to do this. In my experience Bucks seldom need as much post op’ nursing care as Does. A castration is no-where near as invasive as a spay

The other thing to mention is to check the surgical wound twice a day. It should remain clean and dry and any swelling or bruising should be minimal. It is best to keep him in a relatively confined space fore a few days and also prevent him from jumping up onto high surfaces. Most Bucks are back to normal after 3 days.

Hope all goes well for him :)

Before his op’ he should have a thorough check up by the Vet. Unlike other species Rabbits do not have to be starved before a GA,they can be fed as normal.

After the op he should have started to nibble at food and pass some poop and wee before being discharged home. Once home eating a bit and pooping and weeing should continue, albeit he is unlikely to eat as much as normal and his poo output may be less than normal for the first 24 hours. He will probably be a bit groggy too. The Vet should supply you with an anti inflammatory analgesic such as Meloxicam to administer to him daily for the first 3-5 days. He should not need gut motility meds unless he is not eating and pooping once he gets home. The gut motility meds given are usually Metoclopramide and Cisipride. Not eating once home would also mean he needed to be syringe fed. Your Vet should supply you will a food supplement and disposable syringes to enable you to do this. In my experience Bucks seldom need as much post op’ nursing care as Does. A castration is no-where near as invasive as a spay

The other thing to mention is to check the surgical wound twice a day. It should remain clean and dry and any swelling or bruising should be minimal. It is best to keep him in a relatively confined space fore a few days and also prevent him from jumping up onto high surfaces. Most Bucks are back to normal after 3 days.

Hope all goes well for him :)

Thank you so much. :)

Had an examination and tests today, he looks fine. :)

He needs to jump when going up and down the litter box. Will it hurt him after surgery?

Thank you so much. :)

Had an examination and tests today, he looks fine. :)

He needs to jump when going up and down the litter box. Will it hurt him after surgery?

As long as the litter box sides are not too high . If they are then using Puppy house training pads with a bit of hay on top for a few days would prevent him from having to hop over a high surface. Or you can get litter trays with low sides.

As long as the litter box sides are not too high . If they are then using Puppy house training pads with a bit of hay on top for a few days would prevent him from having to hop over a high surface. Or you can get litter trays with low sides.

Actually he use a regular rectangular cat litter box. My bunny is 1,950 kilograms. Would the cat litter box be high for him?

A standard cat litter tray shoud be fine - they will step over it rather than jump. It's things like sofas that he shouldn't be jumping on for a few days, as it could stress the wound.

A standard cat litter tray shoud be fine - they will step over it rather than jump. It's things like sofas that he shouldn't be jumping on for a few days, as it could stress the wound.

Ok I understand. Thank you so much. :)

Back