• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Think we have a pregnant bunny!!

SarahM

Warren Scout
We got a female bunny companion for a male bunny. We had him done and then waited about 6 weeks before introducing them. We noticed the other day that she was pulling out lots of hair, and again last night, I then put some more hay out and noticed that she has been collecting it and was putting it in the litter tray. I assume this means she is making a nest. Obviously we was not expecting this to happen, and have no idea what to do next.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Sarah

As she is unspayed it could just be a hormonal thing. Or she could be pregnant.

If you haven't done already you should probably take the male out.

You could work out when she was due roughly from the time you put the male in, count 31 days on.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more advice

Nicola

Hi, I'm guessing shes not been spayed?

Sometimes unspayed does will make a net because they're hormonal, I've got no experiance with buns that are pregnant so someone else will be along soon! :wave:

Where did you get her from? Is it likely she was pregnant before you got her? If you waited 6 weeks it's very unlikely that your boy is the daddy. It may be she isn't pregnant though as they do make nests and go through phantom pregnancies. If there are no babies within a week then perhaps you could think about getting her spayed to prevent the hormonal 'pregnancies'. Good luck, I hope she isn't pregnant :)

How long is it since you introduced them?
Often if the female makes a nest 17 days after being "bred" it is phantom. Though some do start early:roll: even if they really are pregnant.

usually the mounting will induce a phantom pregnancy if she's not spayed. My girls aren't spayed and they occasionally make nests, which I always leave at least a week. If you don't leave the nest they will get distressed and make another, whereas if you leave it they will lose interest after a few days - I've just cleared one up in the shed that Petunia made a couple weeks ago - the last time I cleaned the shed she ran in to check I hadn't damaged her nest, so I just cleaned around it - whereas this time she wasn't bothered so I removed it. It's her first in 2 years! The others usually make one in spring.

How old is your doe? If she is coming up about 4 months its probably hormones kicking in. Both my girls built nests at this age.... my signal it was time to spay!

Sound highly unlikely its your buck if he's been altered.

I thought that a rabbit makes a nest only in the 24hours before having the babies?

I used to have an unspeyed rabbit (when I was little) and she often had phantom ones. Fingers crossed .

I thought that a rabbit makes a nest only in the 24hours before having the babies?

I used to have an unspeyed rabbit (when I was little) and she often had phantom ones. Fingers crossed .

It all depends on the doe. Some makes a nest just before giving birth, others make it a week before or so.

Back