• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, Ozzie's still not right & not too happy with vet advice

He's eating watered down recovery food, :)
That is good news. Make it with the "warm" water too ;)
I always keep some recovery food in called Oxbow Critical Care fine blend. It is a good mix and smooth if you have to syringe it, quite often my bun will lap it off the spoon. VetUK sell it and delivery quickly.

Computer crashed so on phone here. Do u know, I'm angry at these vets. What are u supposed to believe?
I do have common sense & initiative but not in depth knowledge of rabbit biology. This vet just made me feel like I was pestering Ozzie by trying to feed him. She said rabbits are very private, just leave him! Glad I didn't listen & I'm glad I'm a member of this forum, thanks guys.

Computer crashed so on phone here. Do u know, I'm angry at these vets. What are u supposed to believe?
I do have common sense & initiative but not in depth knowledge of rabbit biology. This vet just made me feel like I was pestering Ozzie by trying to feed him. She said rabbits are very private, just leave him! Glad I didn't listen & I'm glad I'm a member of this forum, thanks guys.

Absolutely! Never just leave a rabbit that isn't eating. That's dangerous. He's lucky to have you. Not all vets know a lot about rabbits so you have to find one you trust, which is hard. Rabbits are 'private' but by that I would mean easily stressed. So agree to some extent, but single rabbits do bond with good owners so he will probably take comfort from your presence and interaction such as stroking him. And they need to eat all the time otherwise they go into stasis and shut down.

Ozzie & I fortunately do have a strong bond, i work from home a lot & he lives in my front room. i try & communicate with him his way. He gets proper grooming several times each day as he is top rabbit :) I'm still struggling here. i did find out a good rabbit vet by ringing the local rescue. unfortunately you had to be registered with them already to get emergency treatment. I need to know does the painkiller make them drowsy? He is really spaced out & also to say he's had a gut stimulant, i cannot see any poos :( Should I try to get him moving or leave him quiet & keep on with the water & recovery food?

When did you last see poo.

Where are you based, there are a few of us in the North West area and I am sure some of us could recommend a vet to you.
Did you go to Chester Gates today? Cranmore next door to Chester Gates is a "normal" vet but part of Chester Gates so not "referral" or emergency charges.

I'm in Tameside, there is a good one in our town but they wouldn't see him as i wasn't registered. I had registered with this one as they were part of the voucher scheme for neutering & half the price of my nearest vet. There are 2 good rabbit vets there but I'm not sure who they are. I am so so worried about him now. I took him out of the pen in a towel to try & feed him more recovery food. he wouldn't take it. I put him on the floor as he started to struggle & he ran to the corner of the kitchen, hunched. he now has a runny eye also. I don't know what else to do. What could the runny eye mean? do I want to know the answer... I don't want to lose him, he was treated like **** before I got him, had no hay, no attention & he's only had a nice life for 5 months.

Watery eye can mean teeth (amongst other things). If he has his dental tomorrow you should ask them for x-rays as this will give a full picture of his mouth/roots.

Elaine from Tameside rescue may be able to recommend a vet in the area for you (maybe it was them that recommended your original one). There is one in Manchester a few people use but not sure how close that would be for you, maybe put a post in Rabbit chat asking for some recommendations.

Most of the people I know are Cheshire, Wirral and Liverpool so not in your area unfortunately.

Do you have any carrot you could grate for him to try, any herbs to tempt him with.

ETA - I think this is the one in Manchester some people use - you could enter the name in the search to see what comes up.
They also have emergency contact so give them a call to explain.
http://ashleighvetclinic.co.uk/homepage.htm

Last edited:
Ring up the other emergency vets in your area and explain the situation, that he has been to the vets and you are very unhappy with their advice, feel that they are not taking his illness seriously, and that he is pretty ill and so needs to see a vet tonight. Most emergency vets, in my experience, will see an animal in these kind of circumstances, where the owner feels the animals life may be in danger. Vibes to Ozzie!

Do the painkillers knock them out a bit? wondering whether this could be why he is usteady. Ive tried all sorts of herbs, more recovery food & water. Elaine was great the other day, she's the one that gave me the info on the vets. Sorry I have threads all over the place, I'm in bits

Do the painkillers knock them out a bit? wondering whether this could be why he is usteady. Ive tried all sorts of herbs, more recovery food & water. Elaine was great the other day, she's the one that gave me the info on the vets. Sorry I have threads all over the place, I'm in bits

Vetergesic can make them very drowsy, but metacam doesn't (or at least I've never known it to). Do you know what pain relief was given? If it was a 24 hour one, then it will most likely be metacam. Vetergesic only lasts 6-8 hours.

she said the 24 hour one. he looks awful, just sleeping my boyfriend is holding him in a fleece blanket while I sit on a chair -shaking. I dont know whether to take him to the emergency vet & risk the stress of the journey or risk him not surviving the night. She gave him a gut stimulant & pain relief but didnt tell me the names of the drugs even though I asked twice. Just tried to give him a drink, he ran to the other side of the room again.

she said the 24 hour one. he looks awful, just sleeping my boyfriend is holding him in a fleece blanket while I sit on a chair -shaking. I dont know whether to take him to the emergency vet & risk the stress of the journey or risk him not surviving the night. She gave him a gut stimulant & pain relief but didnt tell me the names of the drugs even though I asked twice. Just tried to give him a drink, he ran to the other side of the room again.

My instinct would be to get him to the vet. He hasn't improved after the last meds and he is really at the point where he needs fluids under his skin. He must be kept hydrated or he won't be able to clear the problem. I hope he picks up through the night.

Definitely agree that he needs to see a vet urgently.

Will keep my fingers crossed for your little boy and hope that he improves during the night.

Sending loads more vibes for Ozzie. Thinking of you. xx

Back