• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Out of my depth - U/D - this is getting weird

Hi

I rescued a doe 3 weeks ago who had been loose for a week or two. She started nesting/trashing/nesting after a week. I left her nest alone for 2 weeks and got her checked by the vet last week. He palpated her belly and said 60% sure it was phantom, but offered to do the spay anyway.:shock: I refused, as I didn't feel happy unless we were sure she wasnt really pregnant. She ignored her nest most of the time and just sat around in the run too.

I left her for a total of 3 weeks, then, after no sign of babies, nipples, etc, I cleaned away the nest. She hasn't tried re-building and doesn't seem to be quite so distracted.

Hope you get the result you want (and a big apology from the vet!)

Carmen

I would just wait and see - they're only pregnant 4 weeks so you haven't got long to wait till you know for sure :)

I can't see any babies, and Tibbler isn't spending any more time in her sleeping area than usual, but I peeped this morning and she's pulled out more fur. A neighbour said that if her teats were more prominent she'd probably already had them...and eaten them!! :shock: Please tell me my neighbour is winding me up.

(

Unfortunately she is not winding you up :( please see post 24) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94656&highlight=eaten&page=3

also post 19 http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94184&highlight=jane&page=2

These were all rabbits who had come in from dreadful situations, one of them had probably been repeatedly bred and would have struggled to have brought up another litter, the other was a very young about 4 - 5 months old.

In the wild they will eat them to get rid of any evidence that rabbits have been living in the area if they are under threat from predatory animals.

Weird thing is one of my females builds nests at least once very 6weeks. The other one has never built a nest... The one who does build nests has a very large dewlap... Is this connected?

My uncles stray was suspected to be pregnant and built a nest. 2 weeks later no babies... SHe had teats also... She probably ate them we think... Stress of a new situtation...:?

Back