• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me make a decision regarding returning to rescue or not.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
So here's the situation. Leo and Lois had a fight which has resulted in stitches (their second blood drawing fight) after being bonded happily for over a year. They went back to the rescue to be rebonded for a week, there were no problems at the rescue centre and they were confident they could go back together. For some unknown reason they then proceeded to have another fight on their return home.

Since then they have obviously been separated. I've spoke to the rescue centre where Lois came from originally and explained the situation. They've now said that they've heard from the lady who bonded them that they're in excellent condition and that the set up we have is great as well. So as a result of that they don't really want us to return her (which obviously I don't want either!) since they feel she is in good hands. Thing is, they were in a double tier 5ftx2ft hutch with a 7x8ft run attached. Now that they're separated they are dividing their time between the run and only getting a 5ft hutch the other time. I simply do not have room for another set up though.

The rescue has mentioned (as Lois is older and it appears to be Leo causing all the problems) of us taking on another older rabbit if one comes along, that won't be as highly strung as Leo as they don't like having single rabbits. Then if for whatever reason it doesn't work out they would take said rabbit back (to be honest though, I can't see any problems).

I explained the set up situation and that too has stumped them as it seems that they want to keep her with me but obviously the accomodation for 50% of the time won't be ideal.

I'm just stumped now as myself nor the rescue really know what to do for the best. Can anyone give me any ideas? Ideally I do not want to give up Lois, she has been to countless homes and abused in the past so I really do not want to fail her. .

How many bunnies do you have? Other than Lois and Leo?

Would there be a way to get like a single storey 5ft hutch, for example, and attach that to the same run, and then split the run in two (so either 7ft by 4ft or 3.5ft by 8ft?)? So they both have a hutch and run available, just not as massive as before, but still a good size?

How many bunnies do you have? Other than Lois and Leo?

Would there be a way to get like a single storey 5ft hutch, for example, and attach that to the same run, and then split the run in two (so either 7ft by 4ft or 3.5ft by 8ft?)? So they both have a hutch and run available, just not as massive as before, but still a good size?

I have four in total. I don't want to intoduce any bun to Pearl and Archie as they're so loved up that I don't want to risk breaking any bonds, especially since Archie has already lost Blanche this year.

I have a spare 5ft hutch which isn't being used but although I could physically split the run in two, the way that the set up would have to be rearranged would then impact on the garden space. Which, there is noway my parents would allow. They only wanted originally two guinea pigs, they now have six guinea pigs, four rabbits and a hamster ...

So with regards to altering the set up, the best I could do would be to divide the time in the run and have them in a 5ft hutch at the other time ... :?

Could you post pics of their set up?

Any chance of Leo moving inside and becoming a house/bedroom bunny? :D

Could you post pics of their set up?

Any chance of Leo moving inside and becoming a house/bedroom bunny? :D

I would be able to this weekend, I'm in work until 6pm each night so it's dark by the time I get home.

I have thought about that, but I only have a box room myself, so the space would still be as (if not more!) limited by the time you take into account my wardrobe/bed etc. :(

I would be able to this weekend, I'm in work until 6pm each night so it's dark by the time I get home.

I have thought about that, but I only have a box room myself, so the space would still be as (if not more!) limited by the time you take into account my wardrobe/bed etc. :(

If he could be free range it wouldn't matter, my bunnies use my bed as theirs :lol:

If he could be free range it wouldn't matter, my bunnies use my bed as theirs :lol:

I'm honestly not shooting you down as I appreciate you taking the time to read/comment. My room
Is probably 7ftx7ft max. It then has a solid framed bed, wardrobe and bedside table where there's no room to crawl under. All in all it probably leaves only a 7x1 space of floor, the rest being bed which doesn't feel suitable really?

When they went back to the rescue centre to be rebonded did you totally clean and neutralise their hutch for their return? Are the other two rabbits close by? Are they bothered by them do you think? I'm just wondering if anything has changed to upset their bond?

Back