• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me decide!

Vicki1180

New Kit
Hi guys

So my rabbits live in a lovely shed which has been converted into a house for them. My dilemma is with the run.

My initial plan was to connect the run to the shed (the run is pretty big, 8ft x 4ft). However, for one reason or another that hasn't happened yet.

I know it's recommended they should have access to outdoors permanently. Currently they go in the run in the evenings and they get min of 4 hours a day. The run is currently on the grass (we have no paving) and I move it around the garden to prevent mud patches

So, my concern is that if the run is fixed to the shed, them being on the same patch of grass will turn to a muddy grassless mess. I don't have the option of paving as the house is rented.

So I guess the question is, do I continue as I am or hook it up?

Also, if it were to be hooked up I would have to mesh underneath to protect from escape attempts. Which means even with a run around type connection it would have to remain in the same place.

Hope you can help!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I also rent. My three runs are all meshed underneath. Two of them connect to sheds via a welfare hutch company connection tunnel and the other one is an aviay run fixed to the shed. All rabbits have 24/7 access.

One run is on concrete and two are on earth. We don't have any grass.

I personally think that a lot of run time is very important to rabbits especially as they are so lively when we are in bed.

Mine will be meshed underneath and movable using runaround-type tunnels :) The mesh will be attached to the run so will move with it. We have different (size and flexibility) sections of tunnel so it makes it easier.

Hi, I did have mesh attached to the run, but I felt bad about their little feet and took it off. They seem much happier without it...as soon i as I removed it, they were binkying all over the place!

Hi, I did have mesh attached to the run, but I felt bad about their little feet and took it off. They seem much happier without it...as soon i as I removed it, they were binkying all over the place!

IMO you were right to remove it - I think meshing underneath, unless it is buried under grass, is horrible: those poor little feet. Personally I don't like runs on grass, I much prefer hutch (or shed etc) to be on paving slabs so it can have a permanently attached run (as recommended by the RWAF).

Hi, yes I agree. In an ideal world I would do this, but due to the position of the shed and us renting it's just not possible.

Could you not place paving slabs over the grass where you would like the run to be and then re-turf the dead grass underneath the slabs when you move?

You'd still probably have to have permission from the landlord to do that? I think you are very lucky to have found landlord who lets you have pets. I can't find anywhere here!

I don't know what to suggest really. I think I would carry on doing what you are doing and speak to the landlord to see if you can add paving slaps.

Mmm, it doesn't often work! It worked for my first rabbit but I'm semi-expecting our current lawn to be too bumpy to really work :) Still optimistic though ;P

You could use the mesh 6" inside and out method? Or lay slabs around the outside/inside? Would be a PITA to move them each time but might work; if you moved every few days the grass might even survive! The mesh inside and out might work better for you. The RWAF's Make it Right has a picture here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/making-it-right.htm on page 7.

Back