• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Bonding Bunnies?

SteveTheRabbit

Young Bun
Im 14 years old about a month ago i rescues a lop eared bunny (Called Ivy) from someone who'd found her in a bin and couldnt care for her. Shes lovely, friendly and easy to handle. The vet said she can be spayed in a few months because she just got vaccinated. But i want them bonded by half term (3 weeks) So is it possible to bond them now?
Anyway, i have a big rex neutered male (Steve) . Hes about 3x her size.. so im a bit worried about the bond. Hes a really friendly rabbit, the friendliest i've ever met actually. Steve and my 7 guineapigs live in a 12 by 8 foot shed. Steve has 2 runs attached together because he got statis from eating the wood and its for his own safety! But today, i split the runs and put I cleaned one and put Ivy in it, giving steve a couple of her toys. It was fine at first, i sat in her cage with Ivy and then she went over to the split bit in the middle (its a run panel) and jumped up, putting her paw through the gap. Steve looked up, sniffed her and bit her paw. I was really worried and moved her away. But steve sort of sprinted to the same place she was staring at her. Steve is 2 and a month and Ivy is believed to be 2 or 3. Shes a TINY lop and looks like a baby you'd see in a pet shop. Steves been neutered for about 3 months.

Im going to try and bond them, so ideas?
Any ideas and help would be great. I had a very UNsuccesful bond about 2 years ago and that terrifies me and i dont want it to happen again. Please help!

Hey there. It might be useful for you to have a read of this. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

I think that the behaviour is expected because even though one run was neutral, the other still smelt of Steve and he will know it's his territory, so you will need to neutralise the whole lot, or do it somewhere else. You're on the right track though, and thinking in the right way and hopefully it will work :)

Back