• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello from Switzerland

Swissgreys

New Kit
I have been lurking for a few weeks now, so thought I should take the time to come and say hello properly. :wave:

I joined the Forum because we are in the process of 'acquiring' 2 rabbits.
The rabbits are 3 years old, and we are taking them on from a family who can no longer keep them.
We are currently setting up their outdoor enclosure, so they won't be moving in for a few more weeks, but we are all very excited about welcoming them to our family.

I have owned rabbits in the past, but not for about 10 years, so a lot has changed in that time and I feel like I am having to relearn everything!
We live in Switzerland and our family is; Me, DH, 2 children aged 9 and 11, 4 guinea pigs, and 2 birds.

So based on what we know so far about our new rabbits (Chili and Pepper) I have a couple of questions already - these will probably be the first of many!

Chili is neutered, but Pepper has not been spayed. In the past we had all of our females spayed as soon as possible. Is it worth thinking about having Pepper spayed at age 3?
We do have a good small animal vet that we use for the piggies, so experienced medical care isn't an issue.

The rabbits are currently fed a muesli style mix with a small handful of hay each day (I know, I know).
Obviously we plan to change them to a complete pellet food (gradually) and unlimited hay (immediately), but is there a chance they will refuse to eat complete food after so many yeas of brightly coloured muesli?
And is it ok to offer unlimited hay immediately, or do I need to build up to this too?

Anyway I think that is it for now.
I look forward to being part of the Forum.

Pepper isn't very old at 3 years. Age alone shouldn't be a barrier to anaesthetic and entire girls have a very high incidence of uterine cancer by age 4 (around 80% death rate?). I would prioritise it - get her checked over and if all is OK, book her in. Also ask the vet to check her teeth while she is under anaesthetic - it's one more thing sorted if she needs it, or reassurance if she doesn't.

Hay - a big YES to unlimited from the start.

You seem to know what needs doing - so I hope all goes well. Lucky rabbits to find such a good home.

Sounds like Chilli and Pepper are going to be really happy with you. Four guinea pigs and birds oooo. I love guinea pigs. Look forward to seeing piccies of everyone when you have time.

To swop over from meusli I just added a few pellets each day and reduce the amount of meusli. I have not had problems with any bun not eating them. I had a couple of four year old does neutered with no problems.

Welcome from me, sounds like they are going to have a wonderful life with you. Looking forward to pictures of Chili and Pepper and their new home! ;)

Back