• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello All

Hi there,
So glad to find this forum.
Five years ago some school kids brought me an adult femal they had found. They asked me to lok after her while they tried to find who owned her.... five years later Binky is my rabbit. She lived in the garden and didn't try to escape so I think she was happy. She developed EC and was totally paralysed but pulled through. Her legs are still a little uncontrolled at times, but she is very capable. She is a calm rabbit, no performances and had a huge yard to roam, but I had to move and she was sent to a foster and bonded with another older female. Binky is unspayed, as far as I know, and so was the other girl. The fosters dog killed Binkys bond mate and then Binky was attacked by a new rabbit that the foster got. I've made a temporary enclosure for Binks 2m x 5m, it's not safe for her to roam my small yard because my landlord has aggressive dogs. I was given 2 three week old buns to raise, a male and a female and I would like to try bond one of the two babies, now 8 weeks, with Binks. The male will be neutered before any instrodustions begin and I will keep him seperated for 2 months before there is any face to face meeting. The big question here, do I bond the male (neutered) or the young female unspayed? Is it possible to bond 2 unspayed females, the younger will get spayed if she is the best choice of partner for Binks. The youngsters are both VERY chilled, at this stage. Binks must be around 8 years old and she gets on well with my cats, dog and rock hyrax and they get on well with her.

Oh yes, my name is Samantha :) and I do rehab with injured and orphaned wildlife, I do not have a lot of experience with domestic rabbits.

Hi Samantha :)

First of all a very warm welcome to the forum. Binky has had a very eventful life so far, hasn't she!

The easiest bond by far is between a neutered female and a neutered male rabbit. So in your situation I would definitely choose the young male to bond with Binky and I would get him neutered first. I would also get Binky spayed, as not only will it rule out any hormonal problems with her for the bonding, but very importantly it will prevent her getting uterine carcinoma, which is a very large risk in unspayed female bunnies. The bonding ideally would take place in a neutral place, where neither rabbit has been previously. It would need to be done at least 6 weeks after the male has been neutered. The male will be able to be neutered as soon as his testicles drop, by which stage he will probably be quite hormonal. He should also obviously be kept separate from Binky before neutering.

Please post for further advice if you need to.

I had to google what a Rock Hyrax was haha! Which part of the world are you living in?

First of all a very warm welcome to the forum. Binky has had a very eventful life so far, hasn't she!

The easiest bond by far is between a neutered female and a neutered male rabbit. So in your situation I would definitely choose the young male to bond with Binky and I would get him neutered first. I would also get Binky spayed, as not only will it rule out any hormonal problems with her for the bonding, but very importantly it will prevent her getting uterine carcinoma, which is a very large risk in unspayed female bunnies. The bonding ideally would take place in a neutral place, where neither rabbit has been previously. It would need to be done at least 6 weeks after the male has been neutered. The male will be able to be neutered as soon as his testicles drop, by which stage he will probably be quite hormonal. He should also obviously be kept separate from Binky before neutering.

I had to google what a Rock Hyrax was haha! Which part of the world are you living in?
Thank you for the feedback. Isnt Binky too old to spay? She must be at least 8 years old. I live in South Africa, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.

Thank you for the feedback. Isnt Binky too old to spay? She must be at least 8 years old. I live in South Africa, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.

Attachments

• DaphnMojo.jpg
    DaphnMojo.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3
I would consult with a vet that you trusted regarding whether to spay Binky, based on his examination of her. If he was confident to go ahead, I would also request blood tests beforehand to confirm that she was healthy enough for the operation.

https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/blog/do-rabbits-really-get-womb-cancer/

Thank you for the photo :)

Back