• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heating a playhouse

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi all.Im looking to get a tubular greenhouse heater and a light put in my bunnies playhouse but have had abit of trouble(been trying for months:roll:) getting a leccy to have a look as theyre all busy with bigger and more lucrative jobs.Anyway I managed to get one round to see the playhouse and he said this would be illegal:?Surely not if done properly and safely.Im abit confused as it might be my personal set up that's wrong?
The playhouse is insulated and really strong construction and I have a leccy supply in the garden as I have 2 ponds with filters running.

Hi all.Im looking to get a tubular greenhouse heater and a light put in my bunnies playhouse but have had abit of trouble(been trying for months:roll:) getting a leccy to have a look as theyre all busy with bigger and more lucrative jobs.Anyway I managed to get one round to see the playhouse and he said this would be illegal:?Surely not if done properly and safely.Im abit confused as it might be my personal set up that's wrong?
The playhouse is insulated and really strong construction and I have a leccy supply in the garden as I have 2 ponds with filters running.

I can't understand why. I have a supply to my garden - was in one shed and then I got it further down the garden to the far shed.

I'd be interested in his explanation too ... :?

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Regulations-Explained

I've had a qualified electrician do this sort of work no problem. Sometimes they don't want the small jobs :lol:

I would much prefer someone told me the truth : ' you kidding, mate, expecting me to take on a tiddly little job like this' rather than 'sorry missus, it's illegal'.

I would much prefer someone told me the truth : ' you kidding, mate, expecting me to take on a tiddly little job like this' rather than 'sorry missus, it's illegal'.

:lol:

Thankyou Jane for the link,thats very useful.

I know that people have these in their sheds and playhouses A.Im wondering if its to do with my set up,but it could be "small job" syndrome.:roll:

I will try to get a second opinion anyway just to be sure.

I spoke to my dad (construction site manager)

He said it wouldn't be illegal but the guy might have been hesitant in case of any future accidents that might have cause damage/death etc. (If done properly I doubt this would have happened). Maybe just the whole small job thing is an issue.

I spoke to my dad (construction site manager)

He said it wouldn't be illegal but the guy might have been hesitant in case of any future accidents that might have cause damage/death etc. (If done properly I doubt this would have happened). Maybe just the whole small job thing is an issue.

Ah yes,good point.:)Thankyou for the info.

I also don't understand why the work can't be completed by a qualified electrician. Perhaps I missed something in the link provided by Jack's Jane.

I imagine he doesn't want to do it for multiple reasons: it's a small but awkward job, it's a minefield for health and safety (installing electrics into a wooden building, installing a heating object into a wooden building, a wooden building generally), if it IS notifiable under Part P (Jane's link) than that's a right PITA (new circuit to a 'special' building might be worth notifying to avoid problems later, he thinks?).

It sounds like it's a bit of 'not worth my time, mate' coupled with 'I ain't taking the hit when the playhouse gets damp and it all goes up in flames'.

I quite like having electricity in my sheds to be honest .. Helps me to see where I've kept their things on shelves etc, and the opportunity for tubular heating for those delicate buns I board :D

I never realised it could be such a nightmare - I've not had a problem the twice I've asked for it and had it done!

The lighting for me is quite important as I need to be able to check the bunnies properly after dark and they get abit spooked with a torch shining.I wil check out Jonms link though.
The heating(only gentle) is probably more my piece of mind than anything as Saffi,my lovely new girlie had no care before being rescued and although her weight and condition are improving and shes doing well now its just so shes not using too much energy keeping warm-if that makes sense.Her husbun Sam is snuggling her a lot though:love:

The lighting for me is quite important as I need to be able to check the bunnies properly after dark and they get abit spooked with a torch shining.I wil check out Jonms link though.
The heating(only gentle) is probably more my piece of mind than anything as Saffi,my lovely new girlie had no care before being rescued and although her weight and condition are improving and shes doing well now its just so shes not using too much energy keeping warm-if that makes sense.Her husbun Sam is snuggling her a lot though:love:

Ah sweet :love:

Thing is, buns grow old and feel the cold (didn't mean that to rhyme :lol:) and a bit of gentle heat as you say, means they can conserve their energy a bit better, if they need to.

Back