• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt question *** a ruby update! It's looking good!

Seen the vet. She admitted she doesn't know what could be the cause, it could be an ear infection but she wonders if there is a neurological element as the eye with the ulcer doesn't blink, it didn't last week either, I have lubricating gel for this eye. She has said that if the lapizole is stressing Ruby out (she will not take it at all) to not give it to her as it is very unlikely to be ec as she has recently had the full course of lapizole. I'm to continue with the eye drops and baytril (not got metacam) and take her back in 2 weeks.

The vet initially though the worst as Ruby was very stressed and flopped on to her side and would not get back up. I told the vet she was acting fine at home. Vet out her back in the box after checking her over and Ruby attacked her towel and her head went from a 90 degree angle to almost upright! Vet said that if she was acting like that she seems ok in herself we would continue the treatment as she is obviously coping and happy in herself. At the moment she thinks she is probably ok and hoping we can make improvements over the next couple of weeks.

Aaaww I am really glad Ruby showed the vet that she *can* lift her head up! I hope you all have a peaceful weekend with lots of binkies around the garden. Ruby and not you :D

I didn't ask about the metacam. I completely forgot and I had meant to ask.

Ruby is fine now. Happily eating some grass now she is out of the stress causing critter carrier!

Ruby is fine now. Happily eating some grass now she is out of the stress causing critter carrier!

Glad to hear that Ruby settled back home again. The reason I keep mentioning the Metacam is because of it's anti-inflammatory properties, not 'just' for it's pain killing ones. If the inflammation could be reduced the clinical symptoms (ie the head tilt) may reduce too. I know how busy you are with the babies, but maybe you or your OH could give the Vet a call and ask about the use of Metacam for it's anti-inflammatory effects to see if it reduces Ruby's symptoms ?

It doesn't sound as though Ruby is in pain at the moment, but when you get the chance, perhaps you could ring your vet and ask about Metacam? Your vet may not think it's appropriate, and I can see that if he thinks it's an ear infection rather than head tilt from E.C. However, it would be wise to ask his opinion ...

I'm so glad to hear she is doing well :D

I will try and remember to call about the metacam. I'm not sure the vet will prescribe though unless she feels Ruby definately needs it. Ruby seems to be getting stressed a bit with all the medication I am trying to give her, she is ok with the eye drops and will tolerate the first daily dose of baytril but the second dose is hard to get down her. I am having loads of trouble with the lapizole so the vet said to stop it for now. Stress seems to be making her tilt worse so it isn't worth it to make her stressed. She was so stressed from the car journey to the vets her head was nearly upside down and she was rolling!. I'll ask an opinion on the metacam though .

I will try and remember to call about the metacam. I'm not sure the vet will prescribe though unless she feels Ruby definately needs it. Ruby seems to be getting stressed a bit with all the medication I am trying to give her, she is ok with the eye drops and will tolerate the first daily dose of baytril but the second dose is hard to get down her. I am having loads of trouble with the lapizole so the vet said to stop it for now. Stress seems to be making her tilt worse so it isn't worth it to make her stressed. She was so stressed from the car journey to the vets her head was nearly upside down and she was rolling!. I'll ask an opinion on the metacam though .

The only saving grace with the Metacam is that bunnies usually love it :love:

I do know what you mean though, stress can make any problem worse, and with a poorly tilted bunny it's the last thing you want.

I'm sure you would know if she was in pain, and if she can manage without, the vet maybe thinks it's for the best :thumb:

She has been shaking her head a bit. I do think it is most likely an ear infection and I read something online that says an infection of the nerve in the inner ear that controls the face can prevent a bunny from blinking. So this All sounds like it fits with Ruby. Also she blinked this morning when I was putting her drops in! I hope that means her eye isn't permanently damaged which was something I was very worried about. I'm going to go and give her more drops now so I will see if she blinks again

Actually the thing I read said if the nerve is damaged it prevents blinking. Can the nerve repair itself?

Actually the thing I read said if the nerve is damaged it prevents blinking. Can the nerve repair itself?

It depends on the exact type of nerve damage/injury and which nerve structure is effected. It is a cranial nerve that controls blinking , CN7 I think. It is CN7 that is effected in cases of Bells Palsy in humans and the ability to blink is lost. This can resolve over several weeks so it seems healing/repair to the nerve is possible.

I've just taken Ruby for a check up and everything is looking very promising!!

The head tilt has improved, it is now at 1o clock angle rather than 3 or 4 o clock at its worst. Sometimes it goes to 2 o clock if she is being nosey, sometimes it is almost where it should be, so this is all looking very promising that her head will go back to normal soon.

Her eye has improved. There is still a mark on it from the ulcer which is slowly clearing and her blink reflex is almost back to normal. Her eye won't completely close but to say a week ago she wasn't blinking at all, this is great news!

On the bad side she is pretty underweight. She weighs 1.2 kg now. She is fluffy so I hadn't noticed and although I can feel her ribs, she was bonier a few weeks back. She is eating though but perhaps not enough with the head tilt. She was 2.2kg at her heaviest so that it a lot of weight to lose. She was perhaps a bit on the chunky side before and maybe overweight. Vet wants me to take her back in 2 weeks mainly to check her weight gain. She is on unlimited pellets until then (need to try and stop Bertie from sharing as he has got fatter these last few weeks!!). Is there anything else I can give her to fatten her up. I have been mixing oats in with the pellets when I remember.

The only medication she needs at the moment is the baytril. She has been using it for 5 weeks now. I have another 3 week supply and we are hoping that clears the tilt.

She is back to her extra naughty self, fighting the medication. I can only get it in to her by nearly sitting on her with her between my legs with me crouched over her on the floor!!! And then she spits half of it out.

I've just taken Ruby for a check up and everything is looking very promising!!

The head tilt has improved, it is now at 1o clock angle rather than 3 or 4 o clock at its worst. Sometimes it goes to 2 o clock if she is being nosey, sometimes it is almost where it should be, so this is all looking very promising that her head will go back to normal soon.

Her eye has improved. There is still a mark on it from the ulcer which is slowly clearing and her blink reflex is almost back to normal. Her eye won't completely close but to say a week ago she wasn't blinking at all, this is great news!

On the bad side she is pretty underweight. She weighs 1.2 kg now. She is fluffy so I hadn't noticed and although I can feel her ribs, she was bonier a few weeks back. She is eating though but perhaps not enough with the head tilt. She was 2.2kg at her heaviest so that it a lot of weight to lose. She was perhaps a bit on the chunky side before and maybe overweight. Vet wants me to take her back in 2 weeks mainly to check her weight gain. She is on unlimited pellets until then (need to try and stop Bertie from sharing as he has got fatter these last few weeks!!). Is there anything else I can give her to fatten her up. I have been mixing oats in with the pellets when I remember.

The only medication she needs at the moment is the baytril. She has been using it for 5 weeks now. I have another 3 week supply and we are hoping that clears the tilt.

She is back to her extra naughty self, fighting the medication. I can only get it in to her by nearly sitting on her with her between my legs with me crouched over her on the floor!!! And then she spits half of it out.

Oh my Beki what a fab update!

I agree it's difficult stopping the partner from guzzling alongside the one who needs to gain the weight! When I needed to fatten up my little one quite swiftly I began to syringe him baby food and ground up pellets in addition to normal food.

As you are doing - oats are very good! They also help repair nerve damage. Sunflower seeds are also very good and potentially quite fattening so another one to add in there.

If there are no calcium issues, alfalfa hay is nourishing, though Bertie may well decide to share that :)

Good luck and I'm so pleased with your news!

Ace update, yay for Ruby. The bunny I had with EC was tiny too- I think exactly the same weight. Being tiny doesn't stop them putting up a big fight though :)

Back