• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness Training??

I indroduced grass slowly with all mine :D Could you maybe bring them into the house and just sit on the floor and read a book or something? Once they are comfortable with you being with them they will become more confident around you :D

were they on grass at the rescue? If so, they'll probably be OK, especially if the grass is quite short. If its knee high then maybe they shouldn't be out there too long.:)

it's only about a cm or two high. Very short. I could bring them inside but not today. Can anyone remind me how to bunnyproof a room? And if they've gone only in a litter tray, would they go only in a litter tray in the house?

One of my buns is harness trained. I didn't think he would accept it, but the first harness I had for him was very 'covering' and he hated it. The second one I got is one strap around the neck, one around the body, the two bits joined along the back. Thats a terrible description so I'll post a photo! I let him get to the stage where he trusted me, I could pick him up and could generally do anything to him without him getting scared (bum check, nail clipping, grooming etc). Then I would put the harness on him (without the 'lead' part) for just a few minutes, then take it off, giving a pellet when it was on and then again when I took it off. He flicked a bit and shook himself when it was on - it must feel strange to begin with. Once he was used to this and didn't mind it then I attached the lead and let him loose in my house! He loves it and it means he has access to my mum's garden when he stays there! He did the most massive binky I have ever seen when we were out there so he can't hate the harness that much! My new girl is nowhere near the stage where I can put a harness on her though. I can pick her up (but she doesn't like me to), although she will now accept treats when I hold her :D I want her to be totally relaxed before I try a harness on her and I won't continue if it distresses her. I know a lot of people will disagree with me using the harness, but it is the only way they can have access to the outside. I don't have a garden or a run for them (and nowhere to keep a run either!), so if I can use a harness with them to allow garden time at my mum's then I will do so as long as they don't mind :) You can't tell them where to go though and they can slip out of a harness even when you think it is tight enough (obviously with finger space so its not too tight!), but I know you have said you are securing your garden :)
I'll add the harness photo in a sec :wave:
IMG_0457.jpg

Last edited:
Back