• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harlequine and Emeprid.

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Harlequin went into stasis the day after beauty so off we went to the vets and was given a bottle of emeprid. I have seen a improvement in her eating and her pooping. How ever the pooping is a minor improvement compared to what she’s eating now. She is on a dose of 0.9ml of the emeprid twice a day. Back off to the vets today for the 4th time this week between my girls :(

I’m wondering if there is such thing as a partial blockage? She is pooping. I’m cleaning out the pen every few hours to see how much. I’m just worried as it’s not much compared to what she is eating.

It could be her guts are taking a while to get going after the stasis, or are in slowdown. Is she moulting? I’m sorry you are having such a stressful time :cry: sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

No she’s not moulting and seems mainly ok in her self although ocashnally she’s in her litter tray not looking happy and has only had a nibble of her herbs this morning.

I was told that she was full of fecal pellets and Iv not seen enough to say this has decreased what’s in her gut. I’m not wanting to carry on with the syringe feeding as since I went to sleep she has eaten much more and I don’t want to just compact things further.

Is it normal for vets to dispense large amounts of meds even if you have a stasis prone bun?
I was given a full 125ml bottle of the emeprid which I see as rather excessive and I would be reluctant to use with out going to the vets first.

Wondering if it’s worth asking for an x-ray to see what’s going on?

Last edited:
No she’s not moulting and seems mainly ok in her self although ocashnally she’s in her litter tray not looking happy and has only had a nibble of her herbs this morning.

I was told that she was full of fecal pellets and Iv not seen enough to say this has decreased what’s in her gut. I’m not wanting to carry on with the syringe feeding as since I went to sleep she has eaten much more and I don’t want to just compact things further.

Is it normal for vets to dispense large amounts of meds even if you have a stasis prone bun?
I was given a full 125ml bottle of the emeprid which I see as rather excessive and I would be reluctant to use with out going to the vets first.

Wondering if it’s worth asking for an x-ray to see what’s going on?

Hi Lisa

Vets are quite different in their dispensing habits. It may be that they wanted you to have a large bottle by as there is a recurring problem. You would always be able to ring the vet if you wanted to use it, and take their advice first. But you are right, it's a large bottle to be having at home.

I should talk to them about the X Ray, it might be worth considering but she would need sedation for that. How are her teeth?

I know I have posted this before, but it's a useful source of info

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

This link may be useful to read before you go to the Vets

Good luck x

Thank you. I have just read and it gives me what I need to be asking.

Hi Lisa

Vets are quite different in their dispensing habits. It may be that they wanted you to have a large bottle by as there is a recurring problem. You would always be able to ring the vet if you wanted to use it, and take their advice first. But you are right, it's a large bottle to be having at home.

I should talk to them about the X Ray, it might be worth considering but she would need sedation for that. How are her teeth?

I know I have posted this before, but it's a useful source of info

It was said that it was because I have a stasis prone bun. I just think it is a hell of a lot especially being an inexperianced rabbit carer. My current vet seems to have much more faith in me then I have because of the little knowledge I have shown.

Her teeth were looked at quickly and there was no comment on them but she’s eating almost normally now it’s the not pooping enough ( there is some) that is worrying me. I will ask them to look again though.

I looked at the link. Thank you. Just writing down what I need to ask and possible treatments recommended.

Can a rabbit have a partial blockage?

Back