• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harlequin and Beauty are finally with us :)

Hi Omi. That is what we were told originally by the breeder but then yesterday he said they were part of the same litter. Looking at body shape though as well as size and colour I would say they arn’t but these are the first rabbits I have had the pleasure of raising and looking after.
I am separating them when I’m not in the living room to keep an eye on them and it is just nipping and chasing at the moment although I think I saw a short amount of grooming late last night.
I don't think I'd separate them if that's all it is tbh, I think that's normal, they're probably alone for the first time and establishing who is in charge etc,I'm not a bunny expert though [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Minilop. Breeder says he limited their hay so they wouldn’t get fat.
He basically told me any hay that was marketed for rabbits no veg until six months and the food he’s been giving them witch doesn’t have the right nutrition
They do seem to be eating the hay iv given now though.

Yes they can never have enough hay, that's the best thing for them, and good they are now tucking into it

Hi Lisa,
sounds promising. hopefully they'll settle down a bit over the next few days.

the only things i would like to add at this stage are to make sure they're vaccinated for myxy, rhd1 & rhd2 (and/or up to date on the vacs) and also to make sure they don't escape! my previous bunnies would've been difficult to recover if they escaped, but my nethie would be impossible :(. my current pet carrier for vet visits is pretty ropey. i'm going to have to purchase a much better one for the future.

minimum pellets, maximum hay & veg. a swede is a pretty cheap item & if just given whole, keeps them occupied for a few days.

I’m starting to see some encouraging behaviours like eating from the same bowl at the same time relaxing a foot or two apart and maybe some attempts at grooming but Beauty hops away so quick I’m not sure. They are both also attempting to sploofing which looks quiet funny.
Beauty has started to stand up for her self and thumps then some times Harlequin will hop off. The chasing is still happening but not as much.
I’m not sure about the staring each other out nose to nose though as iv not seen it mentioned any where I’ve been looking. It looks like they are staring each other out and some times it looks quiet intense.

Both will be vaccinated just after Christmas for all 3.

We have a cat carrier that is quiet sturdy and if both are Netherland Dwarfs then it should last but I suspect Harlequin is a cross and may get much bigger so may have to purchase a larger pet carrier.
It would be pandemonium if they got out especilly as I don’t think a race horse could keep up with Harlequin lol.

25g of pellets a day each is what they are getting and they are tucking into the medow hay I brought today and really are not interested in the timothy I have. Fussy bunnies. Will give it a few days then change over their pellets really slowly as what breeder gave me is not very good nutrition.
Veg will start to give them a while after changed over pellets as they have never had any and I don’t want to introduce too much at once.

It all sounds to be going reasonably well and I don't think I would be concerned by their interaction with one another tbh. It seems as though they are sorting out their relationship with each other, which is what you would expect.

If they are more interested in the Meadow hay and leaving the Timothy, I would mix them up a bit.

How does your daughter feel about them now they are home with you?

I don't think I'd separate them if that's all it is tbh, I think that's normal, they're probably alone for the first time and establishing who is in charge etc,I'm not a bunny expert though [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

I’m just so scared they are going to hurt them selves. Harlequin is so fast she quiet often runs into the side of the hutch as she can’t stop quick enough. Also I’m just a bit waery still as they are the first rabbits I’ve owned and I’d never forgive myself if any thing happened. They are in the same hutch I’m just deviding it up at night so they can still see and smell each other.

Yes they can never have enough hay, that's the best thing for them, and good they are now tucking into it

I think I’m going to have fussy bunnies. They completely turned their noses up to the Timothy hay but can’t get enough of the medow hay iv now got.
Going to be interesting when I introduce the alfalfa.

568c685333d8ac0fbf805c6c76106060.jpg
968633667b09064e20d8aa00fe7b5ad9.jpg

The promised pictures.
Do you think Harlequin looks like a netherland dwarf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed this thread, you can get hay samples from the hay experts, and Timothyhay.co.uk, also hayandstraw.co.uk.
Frosty and Fern like Timothy hay and the sweet green hay and 5 a day hay from natures own.

There are some videos on bonding, that might help with deciding when to intervene, it was a trio bond but the principal is the same. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466

Probably moving them to a new territory has probably caused the chasing etc, I’ve seen it in bonded pairs I’ve brought home, restricting the space for a little while has worked (confining to one level of hutch, then both levels, then finally letting them have access to full run space.

It sounds like they are settling nicely:love:

Thanks Zoobeck. They seem to be doing really well now. Have caught then snuggled up and there has been no chasing this afternoon. They been playing with the same toys and eating from the same bowl. I’m going to put my trust in them tonight and not separate them as they doing so well. Thanks for the link will take a look later. They currently have both floors of the hutch and seem to be happy with that at the minute.

Will also look into the samples of hay. Thanks for the tip. Do you just email them and ask for samples?

I think some you have to buy a sample pack, but the hay experts one is particularly good, lots of samples. Some you just email.

Ok I’ll look into it. I may have seen the hay experts one was going to put an order in befor Xmas but postage was expensive for 2 items so didn’t bother in the end.

Can I ask what the fiver first sticks are and what they are for. I have seen them mentioned loads.

Back