• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal- He Just Choked :-( -Updated 6th September

Thank goodness he is ok!

My Mr Bubble choked a couple of months ago, and it was the scariest bunny thing I have had! I was sure he was dying :(

Hope Hal continues to keep well.

He is gorgeous, by the way!

Thank goodness he is ok!

My Mr Bubble choked a couple of months ago, and it was the scariest bunny thing I have had! I was sure he was dying :(

Hope Hal continues to keep well.

He is gorgeous, by the way!

It is terrifying isn't it :cry: I hope Mr B is fully recovered now xx

Isn't it the most frightening thing!! So glad he seems better today. When it happened to Herge he had all that awful stuff running out of his nose too and his chest sounded horrendous. I gave steroids and antibiotics straight away too and he made a full recovery. I couldn't believe it I felt sure I'd lost him. Really hope Hal continues to do well. xxx

Where did you learn what to do Jane? I know how to do the HM on humans, but wouldn't have a clue how to do it on any of my cats or bunnies. It would be a useful thing to know, just in case.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Hal to make a full recovery xxxx

oh my goodness jane :shock: i've come over all funny reading this. i wouldn't have known what to do :cry:

so scary :cry:

((hugs)) xxx

hope all is ok now x

OMG poor boy! :(. Thank god you knew what to do, that's one thing I really dread, my buns would probabl die because I don't have a clue :(
I'm so glad he's doing better now :D xx

Keep having flashbacks of what happened. I never want to witness such an event again. It was horrific, my poor Hal :cry:

How terrifying! :( I caught Mimzy coughing up something one night and everything I'd read on bunny Heimlich went right out of my head. Luckily he dislodged it on his own.

I am glad Hal made it through, and I can imagine you are still shaken. What an awful experience!
Mega healing vibes for Hal. And a well done for you! :) Try to keep the images out by looking at how much better he is now...that's thanks to you knowing what to do and having the presence of mind to get it done. I doubt many of us could fare as well.

Aw, it must have been horrific. How is he now Jane?

He's doing OK thanks. Obviously he will never be 100% healthy, he wasn't before the choking. The fact he survived defies all logic. He had everything stacked against him and was severely compromised before it happened. I could have broken his back as I tried to dislodge the food. I had to shove a finger down his throat too, to hook out what was lodged there, all the time Hal was going a deeper shade of blue and I honestly thought his eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. He was making the most awful noises. It really was one of the worst Rabbit Emergencies I have witnessed.

There was no 'skill' in what I did, it was all done on automatic pilot. Something just took over. I never want to have to draw on that 'something' again.

He's doing OK thanks. Obviously he will never be 100% healthy, he wasn't before the choking. The fact he survived defies all logic. He had everything stacked against him and was severely compromised before it happened. I could have broken his back as I tried to dislodge the food. I had to shove a finger down his throat too, to hook out what was lodged there, all the time Hal was going a deeper shade of blue and I honestly thought his eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. He was making the most awful noises. It really was one of the worst Rabbit Emergencies I have witnessed.

There was no 'skill' in what I did, it was all done on automatic pilot. Something just took over. I never want to have to draw on that 'something' again.

God that is awful :( it must have been so traumatic for you and poor Hal of course :(

Oh my! That sounds horrendous. Hal is so lucky that you didn't panic and reacted so quickly to save him.
Julie started choking about a year and a half ago but it has never been anything like what Hal went through. She eats too fast and chokes from time to time. The mucus pours out. I hold her kinda upside down, nose pointed down to get it all out. Last night and the night before though she choked with her eyes bulging. I grabbed her with her nose pointed down and swung her and the chewed up food came out then all the mucus. Scary but nothing like you went through.

Hal is still doing OK at the moment. I have just taken this photo

Rabbits015-Optimized-3-1.jpg

Thank goodness you managed to get it out, poor boy must have been terrified.

Sending vibes that it doesn't worsen his condition and he recovers well from the incident.

Back