• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut Stasis, Fibreplex, Protexin Profibre Pellets

Thanks bunny momma ^.It worked! I’m actually so happy right now i’m about to cry happy tears. I got a call back from the vet & she said her college managed to do the dental & x-ray without sedating Toasty. I’m thinking of getting a gift & a card for the vet & surgery. Have any of ye ever done this before? Thank you to everyone who supported me on this thread!

Thanks bunny momma ^.It worked! I’m actually so happy right now i’m about to cry happy tears. I got a call back from the vet & she said her college managed to do the dental & x-ray without sedating Toasty. I’m thinking of getting a gift & a card for the vet & surgery. Have any of ye ever done this before? Thank you to everyone who supported me on this thread!

Glad to hear that all has gone well. Yes, I have bought my Vet a gift/card to say a special Thank You when they have helped one of my Pets :)

Did the Vet take a blood test to check Tosty's renal function or an Xray of his foot to assess his dislocated toe ??

Hi Jane, thanks for the suggestion, I decided to give a Thank you/Christmas card to the whole surgery & wrote a sweet note inside. The vet said she couldn’t get blood because he wasn’t sedated, so it was difficult to while he’s awake. Also my bad I misheard my vet on the phone 😭 she didn’t mention x-ray being performed, i got mixed up from that morning when she told me that if they would have to sedate him then she would take an x-ray of him, as i mentioned to her that he had slipped on the wood floor last night & then i noticed his leg being a bit sore 😢. She also mentioned to me that metacam is the only licensed painkiller for a rabbit & even if he were to have a kidney issue there’s no treatment for it as kidneys can’t repair itself so if would be better for him to have a pain free shorter life, rather than a painful life. I am a bit worried about his leg & toe even though she said she could not feel any fractures, but injected Toasty with Loxicom & gave me some to take home & lowered the dose a bit, incase it were to infect his kidneys. He’s eating much better than before after getting his teeth done, so i’m happy about that, still don’t know how the vet managed to do that while he was awake! I didn’t get to talk to the vet who did it unfortunately. She even flushed his tear duct out 😄, so now Toasty is a weepy eye free bun. Wish I could of thanked her in person!

Hi Jane, thanks for the suggestion, I decided to give a Thank you/Christmas card to the whole surgery & wrote a sweet note inside. The vet said she couldn’t get blood because he wasn’t sedated, so it was difficult to while he’s awake. Also my bad I misheard my vet on the phone �� she didn’t mention x-ray being performed, i got mixed up from that morning when she told me that if they would have to sedate him then she would take an x-ray of him, as i mentioned to her that he had slipped on the wood floor last night & then i noticed his leg being a bit sore ��. She also mentioned to me that metacam is the only licensed painkiller for a rabbit & even if he were to have a kidney issue there’s no treatment for it as kidneys can’t repair itself so if would be better for him to have a pain free shorter life, rather than a painful life. I am a bit worried about his leg & toe even though she said she could not feel any fractures, but injected Toasty with Loxicom & gave me some to take home & lowered the dose a bit, incase it were to infect his kidneys. He’s eating much better than before after getting his teeth done, so i’m happy about that, still don’t know how the vet managed to do that while he was awake! I didn’t get to talk to the vet who did it unfortunately. She even flushed his tear duct out ��, so now Toasty is a weepy eye free bun. Wish I could of thanked her in person!

Hopefully the Loxicom will help keep any arthritic pain under control. Re the wood floor, can you put some rugs down on it for him to hop on. Rugs will give more traction and help prevent him slipping again, especially if he has a sore back/leg. Hopefully he will continue to eat more now. Is he a good hay eater usually ?

I’m glad that the vet was able to do the dental and the flush, I hope he will remain well now :love:

Rugs are a good idea, thanks Jane, i shall try that. I do hope it's just a sore leg, I started noticing signs when his foot became stiff and he would stick it out slightly when he would sit, and also it appeared to look stiff when he would turn around almost like he's dragging the foot. It's that same leg that got sore after he slipped. Do you think he can feel the dislocated toe? I so regret putting him on my lap then he jumped off in a panic. I'm not sure why but he tries to run every time i put him down and that's why he gets injured :cry:. When he was younger he wasn't like that, he was much calmer :?. Is it just my rabbit :roll:.

Hopefully the Loxicom will help keep any arthritic pain under control. Re the wood floor, can you put some rugs down on it for him to hop on. Rugs will give more traction and help prevent him slipping again, especially if he has a sore back/leg. Hopefully he will continue to eat more now. Is he a good hay eater usually ?

Rugs are a good idea, thanks Jane, i shall try that. I do hope it's just a sore leg, I started noticing signs when his foot became stiff and he would stick it out slightly when he would sit, and also it appeared to look stiff when he would turn around almost like he's dragging the foot. It's that same leg that got sore after he slipped. Do you think he can feel the dislocated toe? I so regret putting him on my lap then he jumped off in a panic. I'm not sure why but he tries to run every time i put him down and that's why he gets injured :cry:. When he was younger he wasn't like that, he was much calmer :?. Is it just my rabbit :roll:. I've noticed him eating a little more pellets and hay ( he's very picky with hay so doesn't eat a whole amount i wish there was a way to make him eat loads for his teeth, i've tried all Burgess's Exel the short & long stem hay) and still drinking lots of water at times. I wonder if it's worth doing a blood test to rule out diabetes or kidney issues, but then again i'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to help :(. Right now the loxicom dose is 3kg in dog kg syringe, the vet explained that it is under 0.25ml which he usually had before in the past, but if he's still in pain then the vet will up the dosage.

Thanks Zoobec :love:, I noticed Toasty's eye was watery with a bit of milky fluid near his tear duct, so I rang the vet and she told me to use antibiotic drops on it for a couple of days, apparently his tear duct is very small she said. I'm hoping the drops work now :).

Back