• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming Question?

FooManChew

New Kit
My Foo Bunny is a Lionhead Mini Lop X. At just over two months his coat is very long and dense with shorter hair being only on his legs.

What would be the best type or style of brush or comb to use on his coat type? I've seen videos showing everything from a metal flea comb to a soft bristle brush. I'd rather make an informed decision based on others personal experiences and perhaps only have to buy one or two before narrowing it down vs using a process of elimination method as the fewer brushes/combs I buy the more toys and treats I can get! Any advice appreciated!

Much Thanks!

I use a double sided dog comb for all my animals (longhaired rabbits, cats, guinea pigs and short-ish haired dogs). Bristle brushes only do the surface of light, fluffy coats. You need to get down to skin level to stop it matting. Rabbits have very thin skin which tears easily if you try to pull mats out - so you need to find a way that works for you and bunny and stop the mats forming in the first place. Mine are groomed thoroughly once a week. If they are going through a very heavy moult, it may get done twice a week. We never have knots or mats, but that is after many years' practice.

This type of comb:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PIXNOR-Sta...UTF8&qid=1471335389&sr=1-65&keywords=dog+comb

The wide bit is useful for rougher / knotty bits (and under fluffy feet), and the finer side for routing grooming. I tend to work in 'quarters' - back / front and left / right combinations. The order varies depending on how cooperative the animal is. Get as much done from the top as you can, and make sure the arm pits are done properly as they tend to get matted first, and the 'trousers' along the back of the legs.

My Foo Bunny is a Lionhead Mini Lop X. At just over two months his coat is very long and dense with shorter hair being only on his legs.

What would be the best type or style of brush or comb to use on his coat type? I've seen videos showing everything from a metal flea comb to a soft bristle brush. I'd rather make an informed decision based on others personal experiences and perhaps only have to buy one or two before narrowing it down vs using a process of elimination method as the fewer brushes/combs I buy the more toys and treats I can get! Any advice appreciated!

Much Thanks!

Lots of us here have tried and tested this comb and found it to be the best they've tried.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Protection-Salon-Grooming-Moulting/dp/B001GU4Y2I

Good luck with your search! xx

Thank You Both! I'm going out today to see what's available locally but if I come home empty handed I'll be ordering one online. I need to start a grooming routine with him & don't want to start out on a bad foot by using something that pulls unnecessarily or that isn't effective on his dense coat. Seems as though most prefer a wide tooth metal comb so that is where the search will begin! Thanks so much again!!

My very fuzzy bun loved her zoom groom. It looks useless but removes a surprising amount of fur and seems to detangle thought the coat without pulling.

I never had a long hair rabbit but I second the zoom groom. All rabbits seem to love the message that they get from it and it does not pull at all. I watched the rabbit sanctuary use it on an agora rabbit and it lokked to work great.

Back