• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gripe Water really is the bees knees!

I was in the pharmacy today and saw some gripe water, so I've picked it up! I'm going to add it to my little bunny medicine box for next time N&T have any stasis type episodes.

Just wanted to bump it up to say thank you for reminding me to get some, I'd always meant to! And also bumping it in case anyone else is really forgetful like me :D

I was in the pharmacy today and saw some gripe water, so I've picked it up! I'm going to add it to my little bunny medicine box for next time N&T have any stasis type episodes.

Just wanted to bump it up to say thank you for reminding me to get some, I'd always meant to! And also bumping it in case anyone else is really forgetful like me :D

I also think it's very good for some rabbits, especially those which tend to get a small component of bloating, but bloat is so serious, you still have to get to the vet ASAP.
However many of us on here with stasis prone rabbits from all causes found that using forage continuously instead of veg had a dramatic effect. Donnamt's Alvin went into stasis about every 6 weeks :shock: (we later found he was deaf & therefore highly strung) Just adding hawthorn leaves instead of veg stopped the stasis completely.:D
Others found that it reduced the frequency of stasis markedly.
My exotics vet started to use it in hospital after standard treatment to facilitate recovery.
The thread was put up in the very early days before forage was more generally used. Treatment of underlying causes is just as important. It's the sticky at the top of the diet forum. Sorry I can't post the link

Last edited:
Dudleys been having a few odd not eating episodes lately and it normally takes a couple of hours to get him eating again. On his last episode I used gripe water instead of Infacol, he loved it!! He does take water or peppermint tea but he was licking away with enthusiasm when I syringed him some of this!! and after some standard tummy rubs he went back into the lounge and within half an hour was eating again!! Id love to know if it was coincidence or the gripe water, but this is definitely the fastest recovery of a non-eating bunny I've seen!

ETA the first thing he likes to eat after an episode is dried leaves.. in particular sloe!

I also think it's very good for some rabbits, especially those which tend to get a small component of bloating, but bloat is so serious, you still have to get to the vet ASAP.
However many of us on here with stasis prone rabbits from all causes found that using forage continuously instead of veg had a dramatic effect. Donnamt's Alvin went into stasis about every 6 weeks :shock: (we later found he was deaf & therefore highly strung) Just adding hawthorn leaves instead of veg stopped the stasis completely.:D
Others found that it reduced the frequency of stasis markedly.
My exotics vet started to use it in hospital after standard treatment to facilitate recovery.
The thread was put up in the very early days before forage was more generally used. Treatment of underlying causes is just as important. It's the sticky at the top of the diet forum. Sorry I can't post the link

That's certainly very interesting, I'll have a look for that thread! Luckily I've only had 3 episodes of stasis in N or T in the 4 years I've had them, and 2 resolved immediately after a vets visit where they had metaclop and painkillers. Tapla had an episode of stasis a month or two ago that took a good 3/4 days of repeated vets visit to fix though. Luckily even then, there was no sign of bloat or even much gas... but I still find it interesting to know about the various things that can help with all manner of bunny problems!

I should really try to feed N&T more forage. Although to be honest they eat so much of my moms garden that they probably have their fair share, they just forage it themselves :roll:!

i bought gripe water a couple of weeks ago when jasp had a bad tummy after eating something. it worked quite well :wave:

I found the miracle cure of "infacol" 6 months ago after my housebun had had not eating and shaking episodes every 4 weeks lasting 24 hrs for 3 years!
Endless vet visits and vet meds had no effect whatsoever untiil I read on here about infacol so next attack he had 1 syringe full and was eating again an hour later. Same thing happened next time and time after so it could not be coincidence.
I then found any fresh green stuff means he has attacks every 4 weeks but keep him on pellets and dried forage and he only does it every 3 months.
No idea what the question was but the answer is def infacol:thumb::thumb:

Dudleys been having a few odd not eating episodes lately and it normally takes a couple of hours to get him eating again. On his last episode I used gripe water instead of Infacol, he loved it!! He does take water or peppermint tea but he was licking away with enthusiasm when I syringed him some of this!! and after some standard tummy rubs he went back into the lounge and within half an hour was eating again!! Id love to know if it was coincidence or the gripe water, but this is definitely the fastest recovery of a non-eating bunny I've seen!

ETA the first thing he likes to eat after an episode is dried leaves.. in particular sloe!

:wave: Hi The active component in Gripe water is dill seed. It really does work well on babies with colic. Amongst other things it helps to disperse pockets of foamed up gas which the bowel can't move onward (it just squidges back & forth) It's also said to help to coordinate bowel movement & reduce spasms.

Both Thumper & now Benjie adore their sloe leaves when they get a bit of gut slow down & use them to avoid stasis. Benjie also used them to get rid of his pin worms completely even though I'd no idea they'd returned.
I later discovered that wildies scoff every fallen sloe leaf they can get in their foraging areas leaving all others.
Marie (vet) had a bun who wasn't responding to treatment when Thumper had a dental. The bun hadn't eaten for well over a week, & started eating immediately, as did Jaysmonkey's Lola who had also been in stasis for about a week.
The big problem with them is that buns will only eat them when gathered after the sloes are completely ripe. There's a very short time to gather a year's supply.
It's good to hear that Dudders is also helped by them.
I haven't forgotten about Dudder's head gear :lol:

Back