• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving Rabbit Mum

Still thinking of you, losing a beloved furry friend is very hard, we understand that here. Sending you a hug, be kind to yourself xx

I’m so sorry you lost your special friend 😢 when they pass away suddenly without any obvious cause it is extra hard, but at least he had a happy life and didn’t suffer.

sending hugs xx

I’m so sorry you lost your special friend 😢 when they pass away suddenly without any obvious cause it is extra hard, but at least he had a happy life and didn’t suffer.

sending hugs xx
Thankyou for your kind words zoobec, the shock of losing him has floored us all. Hugs so gratefully received 💕 xx

Hi all

Our rabbit passed away suddenly last night and we're all feeling heartbroken 💔. He was around 7 or maybe older (a rescue rabbit so unsure of his age) and had been having urinary incontinence issues for around a year, although this had improved lately. He had an operation to remove what we believed was bedding from his penis in March of last year, it turned out it was hair that kept growing, which required regular removal. Despite this he was happy and comfortable and was on loxicom once per day and gabapentin once per day since March of 2023.

Yesterday he was working on his cardboard box in the morning (bunstruction) and retired to his grass hideaway in the afternoon. He had done some droppings on his rug. He popped his head out for some basil and in the late afternoon when I got back from a walk he was still in his hideaway. I visually checked him and started making the evening meal. As I was cooking with pak choi I called him over for a piece but he didn't come out so I offered it him in his nest but he refused it. I called my partner in and we lifted him to discover hundreds of droppings beneath him and lots on his tummy. We cleaned him up and he ate some basil but refused a piece of romaine. After our meal I hand fed him the romaine. I decided to lift him for a cuddle in a blanket, I noticed his mouth and nose were colder than normal. My son suggested I let him down to see what he did and he returned to his cardboard box but didn't seem comfortable so I once again cuddled him in a blanket. I gave him some loxicom and my partner warmed a wheatbag and lit the logburner. We then rang the emergency vet. In the next 20-30 minutes he went downhill, he became floppy and passed away in our arms. We're all still in shock and I csnt stop going over and over what I had missed.

Does anyone have any idea of his cause of death? Could this be gut stasis? Any support would be gratefully received. I'm heartbroken 💔. Pictures of Billy Bumper on 14/1/24 by the fire and ready for bed in the new year.
I'm so very sorry
Thankyou for your kind words zoobec, the shock of losing him has floored us all. Hugs so gratefully received 💕 xx
So very sorry to hear about the unexpected passing of your bun.

Back