• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Genital lump, red & swollen( pic included)

If she is male it would be very obvious by now. Especially if an entire male

Without being able to see her genitals IRL it is hard to determine whether they are very swollen but from the image you posted a few days ago they did look to be so.

Re her spay status- a luteinising hormone test can be done to check for the presence of LH. This refers to the procedure in Cats, but the same principle applies for a Rabbit

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/fu...id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed

Re her vaccines - As her vaccination status is unknown she will need a FILIVAC vaccine first followed by a NOBIVAC MYXO RHD PLUS Vaccine two weeks later.

sK2anoj.jpg

Ideally it would be safer for her to remain indoors until fully vaccinated, ie until 3 weeks after her NOBIVAC MYXO RHD PLUS

Is the Vet you consulted Rabbit Savvy ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/

Morning, thank you so much for this. Iv just been on the rabbit savvy vet link & typed in my postcode. 2 vets came up & one is at the practice I’m registered with [emoji846]. This is great. I actually booked an appointment with the clinical director there anyway as a couple people on here had recommended him & he was on highland vets. I will change to the female vet that came up on the search though. The thing is with the both of them it’s very hard to get a quick appointment as they are booked up for weeks. I just got so worried about the lump that I wanted to get Bella seen asap but it was a young vet. The pics are t very clear as my son took them. I will get better ones & post them & maybe they will show clearer. I will keep up the cream I got. The vet kind of pushed on her genitals to expose them to look & check her sex. He was unsure & had to go online but I really need to know for sure if she’s definitely female. He didn’t even mention the hormone test but im going to say I want this done. Do you think they should have done tests about her cecotropes? Im worried he said no grass & that should clear it. They are all over floor she can’t eat them & I read it’s very important for them to eat them. If Bella was a male let’s say & not neutered, she would have been displaying hormonal behaviour to shadow & trying to mate with her. My friend has a male who before getting neutered was trying to jump everything & getting very frustrated. If both were males not neutered they would have fought. I will make sure she gets these vaccines done, hopefully they will know already to do that but I will say. Do you think I should get the hormone test done to be sure? Your right she doesn’t display male behaviour but what if she was a male & was neutered. That would effect the bonding with Morgan as he’s a male xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry just a quick reply. I've had one of my rabbits hormone tested, it involves a blood test, an injection, followed by another blood test. My rabbit was at the vets for a few hours for this, she did need sedation as she wouldn't stay still enough for the vet to take the sample from her ear veins but as it was just a light sedation no worries about a GA. Has Bella eaten grass for a long time? Some rabbits aren't as able to tolerate grass/veg well, so hay only for a while may help, but if Bella has previously always eaten grass with no problems then cutting out wouldn't help I'd say.

Sorry just a quick reply. I've had one of my rabbits hormone tested, it involves a blood test, an injection, followed by another blood test. My rabbit was at the vets for a few hours for this, she did need sedation as she wouldn't stay still enough for the vet to take the sample from her ear veins but as it was just a light sedation no worries about a GA. Has Bella eaten grass for a long time? Some rabbits aren't as able to tolerate grass/veg well, so hay only for a while may help, but if Bella has previously always eaten grass with no problems then cutting out wouldn't help I'd say.

Morning liz, thank you for commenting. That sounds quite a bit to do the testing but I feel this is worth it to know for sure. Bellas booked in again in a few weeks as was only appointment I coukd get with a recommended vet at the practice. I wouldn’t mind if she had to have slight sedation if it helps. It’s such a worry them going under as she not long was already for dental. I didn’t know this at all about grass. I stopped veg now anyway. I thought grass was part of the natural diet & so I thought it was ok. She’s indoors now anyway so no garden time for Bella [emoji3525]. She loves it but will try just hay. Iv had to give her a tiny amount of pellets which I’d stopped to get the meds in her. I told vet next time I might have to do injection form of the meds. She will be done them soon as was just for the week. She has always had grass even before we took her. She had this issue but was never taken to the vets ever [emoji22]. One reason I took her. Here I would open the shed flap/door thing & let her out into her enclosure all day so she was free to go out or go back in & eat grass all day. There’s a wee slabbed bit in there but she always preferred grass bit. She’s been in the house so no grass but still happening. It’s early days though as she’s not even been in a week yet. Will see how this goes as I’m keeping her in till spring time. By then the new shed will be up that neither rabbit has been in. Morgan’s in the house since coming here as he doesn’t have a winters coat & never been out because he came from sspca. I’m going to bond them when I get Bella all sorted with everything at vets xx

Morning, thank you so much for this. Iv just been on the rabbit savvy vet link & typed in my postcode. 2 vets came up & one is at the practice I’m registered with [emoji846]. This is great. I actually booked an appointment with the clinical director there anyway as a couple people on here had recommended him & he was on highland vets. I will change to the female vet that came up on the search though. The thing is with the both of them it’s very hard to get a quick appointment as they are booked up for weeks. I just got so worried about the lump that I wanted to get Bella seen asap but it was a young vet. The pics are t very clear as my son took them. I will get better ones & post them & maybe they will show clearer. I will keep up the cream I got. The vet kind of pushed on her genitals to expose them to look & check her sex. He was unsure & had to go online but I really need to know for sure if she’s definitely female. He didn’t even mention the hormone test but im going to say I want this done. Do you think they should have done tests about her cecotropes? Im worried he said no grass & that should clear it. They are all over floor she can’t eat them & I read it’s very important for them to eat them. If Bella was a male let’s say & not neutered, she would have been displaying hormonal behaviour to shadow & trying to mate with her. My friend has a male who before getting neutered was trying to jump everything & getting very frustrated. If both were males not neutered they would have fought. I will make sure she gets these vaccines done, hopefully they will know already to do that but I will say. Do you think I should get the hormone test done to be sure? Your right she doesn’t display male behaviour but what if she was a male & was neutered. That would effect the bonding with Morgan as he’s a male xx

Sorry forgot to say she’s been indoors for near a week & im keeping her inside till spring time. Then she will be all sorted. She needs the vaccines before being introduced to Morgan who’s had all his. I’m going to check his pack from sspca for which ones he got to make sure it’s all of them. Even if Bella has had them it won’t harm her & they said she should have got boosters which she wouldn’t have got before as was never taken to the vets. Xx

Back