• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gelding (Don't look if easily offended....graphic pics)

:shock:
Thats pretty interesting to be honest lol if abit squemy :lol:
Didnt they have to take the horse to a sterile place to have that kind of op? I'm just wondering because you would have thought they would need too, but I've never seen it be done so not got a clue :lol:

Nope.... injected him to knock him out. Dropped him where he was standing. All his instruments were sterile etc. He cleaned him first, then out came the scalpel. He was given a dose of antibiotics, cleaned off. The wound is left open, no stitches. 'Bute' given in an oral syringe format for inflammation and pain relief daily. It was all over in just over half an hour.

Horses can't stay down for too long as it's not good for them. They have about 4 hours sleep per day. If they're down for too long their weight crushes their organs. It's better and less stressful for the horse to have it done at home....all done and dusted :)

:shock:
Thats pretty interesting to be honest lol if abit squemy :lol:
Didnt they have to take the horse to a sterile place to have that kind of op? I'm just wondering because you would have thought they would need too, but I've never seen it be done so not got a clue :lol:

I think the bigger issue is to try an avoid doing it in the summer as flies can cause a problem, and irritate the wound.

Most large animals get operated outside, and will get an antibiotic injection to cover the risk of infection. Cows and sheep get ceasarians done in the byre.

It must have been an interesting thing to see, though, I would love to watch an op, as long as it wasn't one of mine.

Last edited:
Good lad, I mean losing your nuts and your Mayo all at once could be quite traumatic:lol: Absolutely gorgeous horse though.

Ouch!!! My poor boy had to go through that :shock:. Glad I didnt witness it though :lol:. Hope he behaves himself now ;)

Ouch!!! My poor boy had to go through that :shock:. Glad I didnt witness it though :lol:. Hope he behaves himself now ;)

It should calm him down somewhat..... he is sweet, but just didn't like the basics and would rear up even if just being groomed, especially if it was his legs. Jen was just lunging him last weekend and he went loopy and Jens hands got cut up pretty badly having the rope pulled from her hands.

He is beautiful though and loves being cuddled :)

It should calm him down somewhat..... he is sweet, but just didn't like the basics and would rear up even if just being groomed, especially if it was his legs. Jen was just lunging him last weekend and he went loopy and Jens hands got cut up pretty badly having the rope pulled from her hands.

He is beautiful though and loves being cuddled :)

Not the easiest to handle when their bits are yet to be thrown into a bush :lol: :lol: Its amazing what a massive effect hormones play in basic behaviour.

Not the easiest to handle when their bits are yet to be thrown into a bush :lol: :lol: Its amazing what a massive effect hormones play in basic behaviour.

Yep....if Bob had his way he would have left it for the time being, but really he is Jens horse and she wouldn't be able to deal with him as a stallion. Good luck to the first person to get on him.....needs to be a rodeo rider I think lol

My daughter used to have a shetland pony in our garden,we had him gelded and they did it in the garden.....it was quite gruesome ,the vet just chucked the removed items out of the stable door!!:shock:

Back