• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fun and games at the emergency vet

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Rupert had stasis last night, he usually sleeps until about 7pm and then the two of them get dinner at 8ish. He didn't get up and was hiding in a corner, so I tried to tempt him out with some treats and he was having none of it. I tried massaging his belly and feeding him some critical care but he just spat it back out.

His belly was so hard that I was paranoid he might have a blockage, so off to the emergency vet we went at about 9pm. Luckily no blockage, so they gave him an injection of metacam and emeprid and sent him home with some more.

I got up at 2am to check on him and found him munching on hay as if nothing had happened! I fed him some oats (I know, terrible for them but it was just to test his appetite) and he absolutely wolfed them down. So I went back to bed and have got up this morning and he's 100% back to his usual self! There are a few cecals and misshapen poos on the floor so I'll give him some emeprid and critical care today just to keep things moving.

I've no idea what caused it, he's had stasis once before and the massage worked but he obviously needed the additional help to get things moving this time. He's moulting at the moment so not sure if that's caused it. I'm glad we got it sorted as I didn't want to leave him overnight but the emergency call out fee is absolutely eye watering!!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oh, that's such a relief that he's back to eating already! I'm sorry he was unwell last night, poor Rupert. Casper and Sophie have had gut slowdown during moults sometimes, so it could be the cause, if he's been swallowing too much hair. Sending a lot of vibes for his poops to go back to normal.

I am currently having the same problem. I think it may be due to the fact that many components are effective at the same time. Cookie has a lung infection at the same time, and I made a mistake and offered her too much fruit. He's also stressed because he's sick, plus he sheds a lot like your bunny. I think it could be a combination of everything but don't ignore her molt, it can really affect. While I am shedding, I give pineapple in very small pieces 2 days a week, it helps my bunny a lot.(Normally don't give pineapple, if it has gas, don't give it now). And I groom him 10 times a day. But you can consider other factors as well.

But I'm so glad your rabbit is starting to eat again. I'm sending too many vibrations for your bunny. Xxxxx

Poor Rupert, really pleased that he's been eating and pooping since the vet visit. Sending him lots of vibes to keep things moving xx

Yeah it hasn't happened often enough (thank goodness) for me to understand if there's a pattern to it. He likes a good stroke so I think I'll get a comb out later and brush him through to get rid of any excess, he's quite smooth coated so even when he moults it doesn't come out in big clumps like it does for Lilac! Here he is feeling much better this morning - he was lying down but they both thought I had food so got up to investigate! (He's on the right lol).
56d77b2c012d95c4861408e329a917d3.jpg

Yeah it hasn't happened often enough (thank goodness) for me to understand if there's a pattern to it. He likes a good stroke so I think I'll get a comb out later and brush him through to get rid of any excess, he's quite smooth coated so even when he moults it doesn't come out in big clumps like it does for Lilac! Here he is feeling much better this morning - he was lying down but they both thought I had food so got up to investigate! (He's on the right lol).
56d77b2c012d95c4861408e329a917d3.jpg

Ahh dearr, he is so cute :love: He is beautiful like an olive :) Mashallah :)

I’m glad he is feeling better:love: the moult could have caused the slowdown as you say. He hadn’t eaten any cardboard beforehand had he? That’s caused a gut slowdown in one of mine in the past. They are both adorable:love:

Thanks all

My two don't really eat much card or anything else, they're a bit odd in that respect! I was out most of the day at work yesterday so I don't know if he found something small and ate it potentially but he was fine when I left so I'm really not sure. He's a mystery!

I'm glad Rupert is feeling better today. Nice to see him keeping up the bunny tradition of getting sick at night, after the OOH surcharge kicks in!

Well done on getting him to the vet so quickly. I really think that makes a huge difference in how quickly they recover from these episodes.

They always like to get ill at evenings and weekends don't they!

I’m glad Rupert is feeling better!

On a side note I saw this picture earlier and I feel it is quite relevant!

1f352cba6d5e1e436032dcf47a54d40d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha omg I love this!

I'm definitely going for numbers 1, 4 and 6!

Back