• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fudge......UPDATE downhill again... HOME!! Eaten her dinner :D

Update

Well we were doing good, scoffed all her dinner and was happy running around and doing big roll over bunny flops!

Went to give her her supper and she ran under the bed and wouldnt come out! Didnt even sniff the air for her supper :(
DeJa Vu all over again! Its a repeat of last night :cry:

Atleast this time she has eaten all her dinner and has taken her metacam so i know she should be ok for tonight! will keep my eye on her of course and if in need of a vet she will be there but dont want to cause any uneeded stress!

I dont think its anything to do with teeth, i know her really well and when it is her teeth she doesnt grind but tonight and last night she has been grinding alot and pushing her tummy to the ground so its a tummy prob!

Not given her anything new so im thinking she has eaten something (bits of carpet, towel, her teddies etc.)

Picked her up to syringe water just to keep her hydrated and attatched to her bottom was a long stringy poo still in the making! Was about 5/6 poos long and the strand holding it together is thicker than a stringy poo caused by hair from a moult!

Will see what happens to it and will update tomorrow after another night of no sleep :cry:

Poor Fudge, she never has it easy :cry:

More vibes RU, i need the RU power to heal my girl :wave:

Well we were doing good, scoffed all her dinner and was happy running around and doing big roll over bunny flops!

Went to give her her supper and she ran under the bed and wouldnt come out! Didnt even sniff the air for her supper :(
DeJa Vu all over again! Its a repeat of last night :cry:

Atleast this time she has eaten all her dinner and has taken her metacam so i know she should be ok for tonight! will keep my eye on her of course and if in need of a vet she will be there but dont want to cause any uneeded stress!

I dont think its anything to do with teeth, i know her really well and when it is her teeth she doesnt grind but tonight and last night she has been grinding alot and pushing her tummy to the ground so its a tummy prob!

Not given her anything new so im thinking she has eaten something (bits of carpet, towel, her teddies etc.)

Picked her up to syringe water just to keep her hydrated and attatched to her bottom was a long stringy poo still in the making! Was about 5/6 poos long and the strand holding it together is thicker than a stringy poo caused by hair from a moult!

Will see what happens to it and will update tomorrow after another night of no sleep :cry:

Poor Fudge, she never has it easy :cry:

More vibes RU, i need the RU power to heal my girl :wave:

If you think she may have ingested something she shouldn't then it is absolutely essential that she is examined by a Vet, even if she has had a few periods of eating. All you are describing re her symptoms and behaviour fit exactly with an impaction in her cecum. Left undiagnosed/untreated this can become extremely serious so early intervention is always needed. A Rabbit with cecal impaction will at first continue to eat and produce fecal (hard) poo. But this will gradually reduce, there will be periods of pain, usually at the times that the Rabbit would normally produce cecal poo. Left untreated the condition can lead to total obstruction.

Sending vibes for her xx

Last edited:
I've only just seen this. So sorry to hear that Fudge is poorly. :(

I agree with Jack's Jane, you really do need to get her straight to a vet.

Thinking of you both. xx

Update

Off to the vets in 10mins! Had to get an emergency appointment as they want to see her straight away!

She has started eating again but is still grinding her teeth loud even after her metacam!

Wish her luck its nothing serious :(

Back home!

Went to the vets and i got a great vet! Weekend vets are usually the ones who dont care much about small pets!

Anyway she had a good look over fudge, eyes, ears listened to gut sounds/heart etc and had a good feel for an impaction in her gut! Nothing was found but she said fudge is very gassy and thats the cause of her pain and pushing her tummy to the ground!

So she said to try and get her to drink more to keep her well hydrated and i said she isnt a big drinker so the vet suggested adding some fruit juice or sugar free diluting jucie to encourage her to drink more!

Ive also to give her metacam and zantac for the next couple of days but if there is no improvement in her by this time tomorrow or is she goes downhill again to go back to the vets to be admitted!

I had zantac here but i didnt want to risk using it incase it was off (had it since jan last year!) so got some new stuff and hopefully she will improve tonight and get better :)

I now need to go buy her a new heatpad too as it isnt working anymore! the one time i really need it, it packs up on me :roll: typical! So hoping P@H have some in stock :?

Her teeth were checked too and she may need a dental for her lower right side soon so to keep an eye on her eating but her weight is 2.2kg so went up 0.1kg since last time! so thats good as she was very skinny in July a little 1.3kg!

Think im going to change her diet to a higher fibre one. Oxbow pellets, allen and paige pellets, a little excel and the protexin pro-fibre pellets to help her tummy!

Thanks for the vibes RU, just hope she continues to improve!

Good to see a positive update, and keeping up vibes for her. Did you manage to get a heat-pad for her?

if she is gassy don't give her fruit juice..can make it worse

Glad she is home and hope she soon is back to normal x

Good to see a positive update, and keeping up vibes for her. Did you manage to get a heat-pad for her?

Nope didnt have any in stock because they are refurbing the place so its like a construction site just now!! Going to the further away one tomorrow to get one. Going to close the bedroom door tonight to keep the heat in so she is kept warm (and it does get really warm in the room)

She wont be happy she is being kept in the room though :roll:
She seems ok, still not happy with me taking her to the vets but thats normal for her! in a few hours she should be happy with me again! So will update once i know how she is later!

She is a colicy bun but this has been the worst gas episode in a long long time! Wonder what causes gas??

if she is gassy don't give her fruit juice..can make it worse

Glad she is home and hope she soon is back to normal x

Not going to try that until she has fully recovered! not sure how else to get her drinking more water! With a bowl she just sits in it :roll::lol:
Tried flavoured tea in her water but she doesnt like any flavour :roll:
And veg gives her an upset tummy :( except carrot! one very complex bunny she is :roll: x

well fluids so help to disperse gas..so as she doesn't drink much, if it continues ask vet to give her fluids, they really make a difference
what veg/fresh foods have you tried her with?

well fluids so help to disperse gas..so as she doesn't drink much, if it continues ask vet to give her fluids, they really make a difference
what veg/fresh foods have you tried her with?

Tried spring greens, different cabbages, romian and little gem lettuce, broccoli is a no no as it makes her really gassy. She can tolerate fresh herbs, she loves dill, basil, mint and parsley but its higher in calcium and she needs a lower calcium diet so only that very occasionally!

She likes taking water from her syringe after her metacam but gets bored after the metacam flavour is gone! And she gets her pellets soaked in cooled boiled water everyday too.

Its lovely having noah here who isnt so complex with his food :lol: And its strange watching him eat hay as its been so long since ive seen a bun eat hay :roll: He loves his grub where as fudge is very picky.

Ive tried most things to help her and i think getting more water into her and more fibre will really help! I think i should try the protexin pro-fibre pellets to get more fibre into her and go back to oxbow pellets!

ETA: what about adding a probiotic to her water? could that help? and if so which one would be recommended as i will try anything :)

Last edited:
Back