• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frosty keeps on humping Daisy

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
Whenever I go out to feed them he is honking and humping. Daisy doesnt react at all, just sits there then gently hops away.

She will often go and sit on a wooden shelf that Frosty cant reach (his sight isnt great). They are both about 8 years old.

I realise that a vet trip is in order. Anyone had any similar experiences?

Hope all goes well at the vets, is this a new thing, spring fever?

That was my first thought too, Phillip has been all over Britney and Whitney the past couple of weeks given half the chance!

Hope the vet visit goes well x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. Some background.

Frosty and Daisy are both about 8 years old. Frosty was neutered as a youngster when I first got him and his brother, Snowflake.

Frosty used to live with Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy but (after I tried to bond them with Loganberry and Moondust) he started to bully Snowflake and chase and hump Tessie and Daisy.

The bonding didnt work so Logan and Moondust stayed indoors and the quad went back out to the shed. I separated them into 2 pairs as Frosty wasnt letting Snowflake inside the shed at all.

So Tessie and Snowflake settled really well together until her death and now Snowflake lives inside with Dusty (a 6 and a half year old from honeybunnies rescue) in the same room as Logan and Moondust but separated by a barrier.

Frosty has been getting more and more constant with the humping and it must be a real pest for Daisy and surely exhausting for him ...

It sounds like Frosty might be a bit of a bully. Have you tried telling him off? Otherwise have him as a single but what about Daisy?

Could Frosty be reacting to Dusty's arrival?

I know you've had her a while now but if she's moulting more or leaving scent and fur on you he might be picking up traces?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sorry, I am confused. Daisy and Frosty live indoors and cannot see or smell other Rabbits ???

Personally I would not ‘tell Him off’ His behaviour is not ‘naughty’, it has a meaning that we need to try to figure out.
Factors to consider, Spring Fever, new relationship and a need to keep asserting dominance
Less likely, but possible, a health problem. Hyper sexual behaviour in older neutered Bucks can be a symptom of Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia.

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...-cache/1/adrenal-gland-disease-in-rabbits.pdf

Sorry, I am confused. Daisy and Frosty live indoors and cannot see or smell other Rabbits ???

Personally I would not ‘tell Him off’ His behaviour is not ‘naughty’, it has a meaning that we need to try to figure out.
Factors to consider, Spring Fever, new relationship and a need to keep asserting dominance
Less likely, but possible, a health problem. Hyper sexual behaviour in older neutered Bucks can be a symptom of Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia.

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...-cache/1/adrenal-gland-disease-in-rabbits.pdf

I think Frosty and Daisy are outside. Is it just when you go round with food? I have one like this, all other times they are fine, just when he hears the food coming!

Could Frosty be reacting to Dusty's arrival?

I know you've had her a while now but if she's moulting more or leaving scent and fur on you he might be picking up traces?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

This is a good point. I remember a member once posting about pet sitting someone else’s rabbits, and it caused referred aggression between her pair.

Frosty and Daisy live outside. All the others are indoors. I always feed and clean out F and D first. It could be that food stimulates him. Yes he is definately a bully. Has always chased others at food time its just that the humping is so intense.

I will look into the adrenal gland thing. Thanks everyone. It is soooo helpful to have you guys to discuss rabbit things with x

Frosty and Daisy live outside. All the others are indoors. I always feed and clean out F and D first. It could be that food stimulates him. Yes he is definately a bully. Has always chased others at food time its just that the humping is so intense.

I will look into the adrenal gland thing. Thanks everyone. It is soooo helpful to have you guys to discuss rabbit things with x

I’d monitor Frosty and Daisy’s weight carefully as if Dusty is bullying Daisy she may not be getting her fair share of the food. She may also be getting stressed which may not show itself in obvious ways other than weight loss.
Weight loss occurs with Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia

Well things have calmed down considerably. I have spent more time observing them and although Frosty likes a humpfest when food is initially offered he soon calms down and they eat peacfully together.

Such a relief to see them being normal rabbits again. They were both cuddled up on Daisy's shelf the other day x

Well things have calmed down considerably. I have spent more time observing them and although Frosty likes a humpfest when food is initially offered he soon calms down and they eat peacfully together.

Such a relief to see them being normal rabbits again. They were both cuddled up on Daisy's shelf the other day x

Thank goodness :)

It must be the time of year. Laurel, my 11 yr old, is going crazy at food times . She has always done this in the Spring!

11. Go Laurel!

Yeah good old spring. Snowflake has been chasing Dusty again at pellet o'clock so back to placing them gently round the room and not scattering!

Back