• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fresh is best? - an experiment

Apparently there's also about 230 different varieties of Dandelion recorded in the UK as well :lol:
Well I'm just going on the Wikipedia entry :lol: Like, I know glden flax and brown flax must be a bit diferent, but for my purposes I treat them the same (in my human food spreadsheet)

I agree. It was just interest really. I also think that humans very often do more harm than good in the food additional to grass and/or hay that is fed to domestic rabbits.
It was dollyanna I think who posted saying that forage-fed bunies who aren't free-fed forage, like wild rabbits, will choose the interesting stuff by preference, so it makes sense.

i've never had a bunny diss dandelions.
My first rabbit, Charlie, might eat one leaf but that was it. He survived his almost 11yrs (RIP 1998) on lawn grass, hay and muesli (which we left until there was just oats left). He was a Nethie. He did think the grass was always greener outside his run so he wasn't ALL weird :lol:

I think I'm going to have to mimic your experiement with my two, because I am pretty sure mine would disagree and tell you fresh is best for anything except nettles! Now they are getting a full bucket of fresh greens each day they rarely touch their platter of dried stuff, which actually has a lot of variety but it is only explored during the day or when the fresh has gone.
They do, however, limit their intake if we overdo a particular plant, and there will be some leftover the next morning. This actually makes me quite happy because I know then they've had enough choice to eat their fill, and haven't just eaten everything because that's what they were given. And I am happy to offer that amount because it always comes after several hours free range eating grass, so I know they aren't eating "goodies" instead of the grass.

Pepper seems to be doing really well on his pellet free diet (touch wood).

until this time he was having extra pellets after his illnesses to fatten him up but now he's just on grass, various other things in the garden he finds, psb leaves and occassional other things i pick for him.

i wish my 2 ate some of the things you guys forage for your buns though, like dandelions, sowthistle & plantain as my lawn would appreciate it - but they don't touch any weeds :(
would be nice if they ate moss too :)

Me too, I must have a 6 foot stretch that is rammed with dandelions, all in flower and not so much as a nibble. Rups will eat the (bought) dried dandelion roots.

I find this incredible :shock: Dandelions and Sowthistle especially are plants I've always tempted my bunnies to eat when they've been poorly. Try picking, one of them at a time and with the Dandelions, especially the flowers ;), and leave them in the shed overnight. I would put money on them eating them once they find out how yummy they are.

So thinking about what Omi said about giving them dandelions etc indoors I have done just that and the little tinkers are tucking into dandies etc like it was the bestest of breakfasts :shock:

So thinking about what Omi said about giving them dandelions etc indoors I have done just that and the little tinkers are tucking into dandies etc like it was the bestest of breakfasts :shock:

Well done bunnies :D I'm glad you didn't let me down :lol:

:love:

i forgot to try this but will be picking some tonight :)

I'm really shocked that you were expecting the bunnies to pick their own supper :lol:- you do know that when you take on house bunnies there is an implicit agreement that you offer 24/7 silver service?

Dollyanna did you try a fresh & dried side by side comparison on your rabbits?

Mike - report back too pretty please

I'm really shocked that you were expecting the bunnies to pick their own supper :lol:- you do know that when you take on house bunnies there is an implicit agreement that you offer 24/7 silver service?

Doh silly me, yes they do like to have items brought to them.

C'mon guys - priorities :lol:

I noticed whereas Mousey loves a blackcurrant leaf both J&B leave them (surprising cos Boo is by no means fussy). So I dried a few & they were suddenly acceptable to all. Strange!

I find the rustly texture seems to appeal or possibly they gain/lose some sweetness in the drying process.

Rodney doesn't like strawberry/blackberry/roses leaves fresh but they're acceptable dried.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I find the rustly texture seems to appeal or possibly they gain/lose some sweetness in the drying process.

Rodney doesn't like strawberry/blackberry/roses leaves fresh but they're acceptable dried.

Oh that interesting as its a similar kind of leaf. To me dried forage smells stronger but i wonder if its more or less tasty when food has gone through the process

I have thought about trying them myself but I'm not keen on dried stuff and I figure our taste buds would be pretty different.

Saying that Rodney can be funny about texture so it could be that. The boy will not touch anything smushy or too wet.

My fresh plantain is slowly growing so I shall be able to test him on that as dried is his absolute favourite thing.

Back