• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frances Harcourt-Brown 2017 Owners Days U/D P821 - next event 16 September 2017

I read on fb thatFrances has been round a few of the veterinary courses at Universities talking to the students about rabbits, and had some very positive feedback from them. So much for retirement, she seems just as busy as ever!

She is indeed. It's a bit of a double edged sword though, sadly as while she's able to spend so much time focusing on education and passing on her wisdom, now she's not a practising vet she is losing touch with developments and changes so her availability for the courses will be a bit time limited. She thinks this will be her last year doing courses... but then she said that the year before as well. I kind of feel it will be the case this time, sadly. I'm hoping if the owners' day is a roaring success she might want to do another ... who knows!

thats fab. Go Frances

Sorry BB I have no bunny questions at the mo but I will give it some thought
. I'll prob go the September one & tie it in to visiting friend in Leeds

Closing date was the end of January, she's already drawing up the agenda ;)

Thanks for that - I don't think I'd have found that one if you hadn't linked to it.

Have just booked for the owners day, but am interested in that nursing day too if possible!

Thanks for that - I don't think I'd have found that one if you hadn't linked to it.

Have just booked for the owners day, but am interested in that nursing day too if possible!

You're welcome. I wouldn't have gone looking for it but Frances told me she was doing another day aimed at nurses and wondered if owners might be interested in it. I hadn't seen the agenda then but it's definitely of interest.

Last edited:
Nursing the sick rabbit looks really good, I'd like to attend that . I may go to both depending how a few things pan out. 9am start though - would have to be a B&B

it looks really Interesting. Wonder if it'd be morally acceptable to put it on our joint cc ;) Never has a joint acc til recently & now I think everything I buy on it is half price :lol:

You're more observant than I am...what's changed?!

I wish I'd saved the original to compare them!

I'm pretty sure there was a dental section that was stand alone rather than amalgamated with the urinary tract and urinary tract was in with something else (maybe)

There was definitely a section on stasis/bloat/magacolon.

I don't remember seeing a section on RHD/myxo (but you are probably better able to say for sure as that's something that dominated a lot of last year for you!) *I think* it's replaced the stasis/bloat etc but I could be wrong...

Yes, now you come to mention it I do remember there was a section on dental disease, and I'm not sure I recall the infectious disease bit either. I have just booked :D

Yes, now you come to mention it I do remember there was a section on dental disease, and I'm not sure I recall the infectious disease bit either. I have just booked :D

:D I'm going too.

It sounds like it will be our last one available as Frances has said on FB that it's the last year (not it might be the last year, but it is the last year). I suppose it's only fair that we let her retire sometime though :(

I have the original (printed off last night to take to the Rescue today but forgot it! D'oh!), and it says -
digestive physiology and calcium metabolism
Gut stasis, bloat and megacolon - what are these conditions?
Common emergencies and when to worry (as if we don't anyway!)
Dental disease and related problems
Rabbit anaesthesia and post op care
Dietary advice for sick and healthy rabbits

So yes a bit of tweaking, but looks interesting anyway. Might go, but it is a full day, although I'm not too far away could be a strain!

I have the original (printed off last night to take to the Rescue today but forgot it! D'oh!), and it says -
digestive physiology and calcium metabolism
Gut stasis, bloat and megacolon - what are these conditions?
Common emergencies and when to worry (as if we don't anyway!)
Dental disease and related problems
Rabbit anaesthesia and post op care
Dietary advice for sick and healthy rabbits

So yes a bit of tweaking, but looks interesting anyway. Might go, but it is a full day, although I'm not too far away could be a strain!

Oh, thanks for that, that's really interesting. It's really quite a lot different to the new one. I suspect it was tweaked as there was a lot of repetition of subjects from previous owners' days which might have been off-putting for owners to make the commitment of booking when a lot of the subjects had already been covered for us (eg dental and digestive physiology).

Back