• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For Anyone Anxious About Their Rabbits Having a RHD2 Vaccine

I have much the same concerns mentioned here. Especially regarding Xena. As some may know she had an e.c episode, which resulted in a seizure and subsequent brain damage. She is fine in herself and I've just had the test results back to say her kidneys seem to be ok, which is a relief. I was debating whether to get her vaccinated with the combi since her immune system will have been compromised but will probably go ahead now I know her kidneys aren't damaged. The new vaccine is something I would not feel comfortable giving her...however, there has been a confirmed vhd2 death in my area and I'm now beginning to seriously worry.

Weighing up risks v benefits it's so difficult, especially when little seems to be known about this new vaccine and how it interacts with the combi vac.

I am not sure how to feel about VHD2. I seem to swing from being panicked one minute to thinking what will be will be the next. I think I would go for the vaccine if it was offered. Currently I am just trying to take precautions with clothing, shoes and disinfecting lots. I've also put up some new fly netting and strips and of course my four are up to date with their vacs.

I'm still not sure and a bit confused, my vets are trying to find out info, but what would be the key questions I need to ask them. Our buns are house bunnies but do go into boarding a couple of times a year. They are due their vaccinations this week !

I'm still not sure and a bit confused, my vets are trying to find out info, but what would be the key questions I need to ask them. Our buns are house bunnies but do go into boarding a couple of times a year. They are due their vaccinations this week !

I would suggest you show this link to your Vet :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

and this:

If your Rabbits are due their usual Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccination this week then personally I would not postpone it, even though it will not cover for RHD2 it will offer protection against the two other deadly viruses-Myxomatosis and RHD.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jane

I forwarded your original link from earlier and have just had a response. My vet doesn't currently have stock of the new vaccine and in the circumstances, our rabbits need their vaccinations next week to ensure coverage for boarding in 3 weeks time, I'll go ahead with the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccination this week.

Thank you, Jane

I forwarded your original link from earlier and have just had a response. My vet doesn't currently have stock of the new vaccine and in the circumstances, our rabbits need their vaccinations next week to ensure coverage for boarding in 3 weeks time, I'll go ahead with the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccination this week.

A wise decision xx

Back