• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foot baths

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Mouse pees down her bad foot all the time. Each night I just bathe in saline & dry, occasionally I use gentle unscented soap. I can't clean it very effectively though on account of her thick feet fur & mat that runs along her hock? Avoided urine scold so far but I'm wondering what can clean it better. She's a solo bun now sadly & her disabilities mean she can't groom that foot - this means i don't have to worry about ingestion but still don't want her absorbing nasty chemical through her skin.

I've never used hibiscrub but would it be appropriate for daily use? Whats its safety profile like?

TIA

I don't know what you are talking about but I use dry shampoo, pour the dry shampoo onto a towel, then wipe Cookie's feet with a towel. It usually works, dry shampoo should be a safe for rabbits.

See I don't trust dry shampoo - especially the foaming ones marketed for rabbits. Foaming agents are pretty harsh & I hate the thought of not being able to wash them off

See I don't trust dry shampoo - especially the foaming ones marketed for rabbits. Foaming agents are pretty harsh & I hate the thought of not being able to wash them off

If your rabbit's feet are very dirty, you can wipe them with a slightly wet cloth. I have read that only feet are washed when it is very dirty.

Hibiscrub should be fine. It's a bit soapy and an antiseptic. It's fine on rabbits and wounds. You can always dilute it down in a bowl of warm water and swish the feet in it, then dry thoroughly.

I am currently using a very diluted mild dog shampoo (Johnson's evening primrose dog shampoo) to do daily bum baths on a rabbit with a UTI. Her feet also always need a good clean and comb out as they also get knotty underneath but she sometimes get flakey, sore patches on her heel. I find that getting the fluffy feet properly dry is a challenge, and have bought yet another hairdryer just for the bunnies. This one is a relatively quiet Wahl animal one with a stand, 3 heat settings and a cool button.

I wouldn't use a dry shampoo. I don't like the thought of it staying in contact with the delicate skin, or being consumed while grooming. For urine scald, you need something gentle and neutral that will be washed off easily as the skin is already being aggravated by the urine.

Thanks Shimmer - I'll get some. A hairdryer with stand is a great idea. Mouse copes ok as she is pretty deaf but tbh my hairdryer isn;t cool enough. I currently use loo roll which I find works pretty well

I love this:

Suitable for external use on dogs, equines, cats, guinea pigs, giraffes and more

When I had a disabled bunnies I used water, so stains remained. Eventually I trimmed fur to minimize urine contact with skin.

Back