• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy rabbit syndrome

I would just like to share my experience of floppy rabbit syndrome with you. I recently rescued 5 baby bunnies approximately 4 weeks old and already fending for themselves, their mum who had another litter of kits now 3 weeks old . all going well with the older batch until tuesday night. I went to get them in from outdoor run and put into night time area, i found lightening dust flopped on his side lifeless. I immediately thought he had broken his back or neck but on bringing him indoors he began moving his legs so i thought that was unlikely. We managed to syringe feed him a small amount of water and i took him upstairs for the night .I can honestly say i never expected him to be alive in the morning but he was. i went on a rabbit forum and to my friend who shows rabbits for advice.My bunnies eat burgess with mint pellets we made a stew in a pan with crushed burgess pellets, water, one squashed up banana,6 cherry tomatoes peeled and seeds removed, very finely chopped dandelions and clover cooked on a low heat for a few minutes. We allowed this to cool and then popped a vitamin e capsule with a needle and squeezed this onto the first spoonful to make sure he got the vitamin e. Its messy and my bunny had to wear a bib and be cleaned up afterwards but i can honestly say today is thursday and although hes still a little bit wobbly he is amazing for a 8 week old kit who had such a poor start. We made a decent sized batch of stew and fed him the stew every couple of hours but only added the vitamin e every 12 hours . I hope this helps other people out there with this problem .What a tough little cookie lightening dust is and hes so cute a blue harlequin not sure of breed. He was going to be advertised for sale but i guess he might be able to stay here just dont tell my other half!!!

Yes, vets time. From what I understand, 'floppy rabbit syndrome' is a deficiency in Selenium and/orVitamin E (which is vital to process and utilise Selenium). There is also something possibly to do with Potassium. All in all, the bun would need to see a vet so they can pinpoint and treat the cause as to why and how this happened - rather than just symptoms so this doesn't happen again. Best of luck with your wee bun.

I would just like to share my experience of floppy rabbit syndrome with you. I recently rescued 5 baby bunnies approximately 4 weeks old and already fending for themselves, their mum who had another litter of kits now 3 weeks old . all going well with the older batch until tuesday night. I went to get them in from outdoor run and put into night time area, i found lightening dust flopped on his side lifeless. I immediately thought he had broken his back or neck but on bringing him indoors he began moving his legs so i thought that was unlikely. We managed to syringe feed him a small amount of water and i took him upstairs for the night .I can honestly say i never expected him to be alive in the morning but he was. i went on a rabbit forum and to my friend who shows rabbits for advice.My bunnies eat burgess with mint pellets we made a stew in a pan with crushed burgess pellets, water, one squashed up banana,6 cherry tomatoes peeled and seeds removed, very finely chopped dandelions and clover cooked on a low heat for a few minutes. We allowed this to cool and then popped a vitamin e capsule with a needle and squeezed this onto the first spoonful to make sure he got the vitamin e. Its messy and my bunny had to wear a bib and be cleaned up afterwards but i can honestly say today is thursday and although hes still a little bit wobbly he is amazing for a 8 week old kit who had such a poor start. We made a decent sized batch of stew and fed him the stew every couple of hours but only added the vitamin e every 12 hours . I hope this helps other people out there with this problem .What a tough little cookie lightening dust is and hes so cute a blue harlequin not sure of breed. He was going to be advertised for sale but i guess he might be able to stay here just dont tell my other half!!!

Floppy Rabbit Syndrome is not a well defined condition. It can be due to a number of factors, which ideally should be assessed by a good rabbit vet.

I am pleased you got your little one through, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Yes, vets time. From what I understand, 'floppy rabbit syndrome' is a deficiency in Selenium and/orVitamin E (which is vital to process and utilise Selenium). There is also something possibly to do with Potassium. All in all, the bun would need to see a vet so they can pinpoint and treat the cause as to why and how this happened - rather than just symptoms so this doesn't happen again. Best of luck with your wee bun.

hi jess these little guys have had a terrible start in life and i can honestly say we got this chap through it . i have since had another little guy with the same symptoms whom i took to the vets. the vet wanted to put him down . its early days but he is responding to richards rescue remedy. we are novice owners and are open to any advice . the new litter seem to be doing great have handled them for the first time today at 4 weeks they are the same size as the 8 week old litter. mum has had good care and i think its shows in older litter that their immunity is low mum is booked in for neutering in a months time when babies are gone and i will probably keep her. she was surviving on white bread when i rescued her. if the kits do die. at least they have had good food and care with us in their short lifes.

Thats good news the babies have pulled through hun. Sending positive vibes for them all.

On the vet front - sounds like you need a new, rabbit savvy vet to be honest! A deficiency if not too far gone should be relatively simple to treat with injections (once tests are back of course).

Back