• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy ear after op.

Yea she is tiny in comparison I'm just not sure if this makes her a mini or not :) xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Picture looks exactly the same as her but you're right difficult to tell with knowing weight - does knowing she's 1.15kg help or will I just have to wait and see how big she gets? :) xx

She's very lovely :love:

I would struggle to determine whether she's a Mini or not :) The weights you've given seem to indicate that she is, but in the photos, I must admit, she looks more like Standard to me. It's very difficult to tell from a photo, but her body looks very long and her ears look large. I suppose it depends on what sort of pet shop it was, but would it be worth asking them if they know what she is?

I know I could not have left her behind in a pet shop :love:

Picture looks exactly the same as her but you're right difficult to tell with knowing weight - does knowing she's 1.15kg help or will I just have to wait and see how big she gets? :) xx

If she is really only 10 weeks of age then she may exceed the Mini Rex maximum at 5 months, which is 1.7kg. Given what we know about the infamous Rex 'greedy gene' I expect she will already be working on getting as big as possible as quickly as possible ! :roll: :lol:

The breed standard weight for a Mini Rex is up to 1.7kg at 5 months or under and 1.7kg-2.04kg for an adult. So her weight at about 5 months should give you a better idea.

Not that any of that really matters !!

If she is really only 10 weeks of age then she may exceed the Mini Rex maximum at 5 months, which is 1.7kg. Given what we know about the infamous Rex 'greedy gene' I expect she will already be working on getting as big as possible as quickly as possible ! :roll: :lol:

The breed standard weight for a Mini Rex is up to 1.7kg at 5 months or under and 1.7kg-2.04kg for an adult. So her weight at about 5 months should give you a better idea.

Not that any of that really matters !!

She may also, of course, have been served a frustratingly meagre, not-in-keeping -with-the-requirements-of-a-Rex supply of food at her last "home" ;)

Hahah yes she's tiny and skinny everywhere but... Does have quite the little belly haha the lady in the shop picked her up and handed her to me and said oooo that's a big belly haha I guess I'll wait and see :D xx

I would struggle to determine whether she's a Mini or not :) The weights you've given seem to indicate that she is, but in the photos, I must admit, she looks more like Standard to me. It's very difficult to tell from a photo, but her body looks very long and her ears look large. I suppose it depends on what sort of pet shop it was, but would it be worth asking them if they know what she is?

Compared to the other two her ears are very small and I never remember being able to support them with one hand haha I asked if they knew what she was and they just said we get a mix of bunnies so we've no idea. I said she looks like she has rex in her and the paperwork just said rex on it - couldn't leave her tho haha :) xx

I would tend to agree with Omi. She seems to be a mini rex, but her appearance really look like a standard Rex to me :)

I would tend to agree with Omi. She seems to be a mini rex, but her appearance really look like a standard Rex to me :)
Hey :) I think you said earlier your bunny in your picture also had a floppy ear from the same thing as Atticus - does he ever put it up for a while then it goes back down again? Atticus was in his run earlier on the grass and I went and sat in it and he was climbing all over me and being a little terror and then suddenly his ear was up! Lasted for 20 mins ish maybe slightly longer but then went back down haha was wondering if this means anything really? Thanks xx

Hey :) I think you said earlier your bunny in your picture also had a floppy ear from the same thing as Atticus - does he ever put it up for a while then it goes back down again? Atticus was in his run earlier on the grass and I went and sat in it and he was climbing all over me and being a little terror and then suddenly his ear was up! Lasted for 20 mins ish maybe slightly longer but then went back down haha was wondering if this means anything really? Thanks xx

I hope it means that his ear will eventually return to normal :)

Max's ear never went up again after it went down ...

No advice but I just had to say... I'm in love :love::love::love:
He's so beautiful!!! I have a weakness for rexes at the best of times but wow, you've got a seriously handsome boy there :D
I know Snowflake's ear went down for a while after she'd had a catheter in when she was given fluids for her stasis but to be fair her ears never have known what they're doing. Sometimes they're both up, sometimes one's up and one's down and sometimes she's a full on lop :roll:
According to the rule of the Rex there is never enough food !! :lol:

Possibly the truest statement ever made :lol:

No advice but I just had to say... I'm in love :love::love::love:
He's so beautiful!!! I have a weakness for rexes at the best of times but wow, you've got a seriously handsome boy there :D
I know Snowflake's ear went down for a while after she'd had a catheter in when she was given fluids for her stasis but to be fair her ears never have known what they're doing. Sometimes they're both up, sometimes one's up and one's down and sometimes she's a full on lop :roll:

Possibly the truest statement ever made :lol:

According to every rabbit I have known, there is never enough food!! :)

How are things today Gracie?

Awh thank you he is lovely :) his sister is identical except her ears are both up haha Atticus is doing okay his ear is down most of the time but sometimes is up or almost up so we'll see I guess, but he's much better in himself :) I guess he just took a while to bounce back unlike his sister who after her knee operations was herself a few hours later! The new little one is good too eating lots and running around lots then sleeps :) sometimes she binkys and ends up twisting in the air so much she ends up on my lap and then looks confused as to how she got there. She's also licked my nose lots - not so timid anymore! When would you guys start introducing veggies into her diet? She's 10 weeks currently but I know they were giving lettuce in the pet shop... Think I waited til 16 weeks for the other two tho

Awh thank you he is lovely :) his sister is identical except her ears are both up haha Atticus is doing okay his ear is down most of the time but sometimes is up or almost up so we'll see I guess, but he's much better in himself :) I guess he just took a while to bounce back unlike his sister who after her knee operations was herself a few hours later! The new little one is good too eating lots and running around lots then sleeps :) sometimes she binkys and ends up twisting in the air so much she ends up on my lap and then looks confused as to how she got there. She's also licked my nose lots - not so timid anymore! When would you guys start introducing veggies into her diet? She's 10 weeks currently but I know they were giving lettuce in the pet shop... Think I waited til 16 weeks for the other two tho

I'd wait a couple more weeks before introducing Veg. I usually start with a small portion of dark leafy greens or a small amount of fresh herbs such as coriander.
It sounds as though Atticus's ear may eventually return to its 'uppy' position :)

There's actually not a lot wrong with lettuce, though opinions can run quite high on here at the mere mention of the word!!

Have you thought of introducing forage into the diet? It's something that may be more easily tolerated than supermarket veg?

Brambles, dandelions and other forage/free food is very easy for rabbits to eat and digest, and contains lots of fibre to keep the gut moving and the teeth well worn down. Some ideas here .....

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

There's a good diet recommendation here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

I would do as you did with the others, and wait for another few weeks, but begin to introduce forage and grass slowly. A few bramble leaves or rose leaves with a small handful of grass to begin with maybe.

And of course watch the poops! They will indicate how her gut is reacting to all of this lovely new food :)

Thanks for the links :D she's already had grass and been eating dandelions etc and I give the others romaine lettuce is this frowned upon? Also give spinach, kale, cabbage, pepper, broccoli, dill, basil (Clementines favourite) can't think what else hopefully these are okay I'll wait til Fleur is 16 weeks ish like I did with the other two :)

Thanks for the links :D she's already had grass and been eating dandelions etc and I give the others romaine lettuce is this frowned upon? Also give spinach, kale, cabbage, pepper, broccoli, dill, basil (Clementines favourite) can't think what else hopefully these are okay I'll wait til Fleur is 16 weeks ish like I did with the other two :)

You're welcome :)

Romaine lettuce is fine for rabbits as are other lettuces, so you are not frowned upon by me! I have been harassed for saying that though, so perhaps better whisper :lol:

Diet sounds good to me :D

Back