• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flicking Red Urine/Blood? - 1 Year Old Un-neutered Male Rabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read that you can check if it's blood by dipping some kitchen roll in it and seeing if it 'clots'. Is that true or a myth?

I don't think that's haematuria either. It could be plant pigments but another possibility is that a very stressed rabbit (eg. scared of the dog) will pass urine that colour caused by porphorins produced in its body.

It's simple to exclude blood by taking a sample in a syringe for dip stix testing at the vets. Plant pigments can be excluded by altering the diet temporarily. If it's stress induced porphorins you'll need to keep the dog & bunny separate & have a very slow acclimatisation period.

Last edited:
I don't think that's haematuria either. It could be plant pigments but another possibility is that a very stressed rabbit (eg. scared of the dog) will pass urine that colour caused by porphorins produced in its body.

It's simple to exclude blood by taking a sample in a syringe for dip stix testing at the vets. Plant pigments can be excluded by altering the diet temporarily. If it's stress induced porphorins you'll need to keep the dog & bunny separate & have a very slow acclimatisation period.

VERY good point.

All can be seen in 'normal' Rabbit urine :)

If the OP remains concerned then I'd take the Rabbit to a Vet along with a fresh urine sample.

I agree with this. When I first noticed dark wee, I was a bit concerned, but found it was completely normal - along with the white/cream sediment that was being sprayed. Neutering does help, although my males did start spraying again when they were released (separately but in their bonded pairs) into a non-neutral room for free ranging.

But if still worried, collect a fresh sample for vet to look at.

I thought I read that you can check if it's blood by dipping some kitchen roll in it and seeing if it 'clots'. Is that true or a myth?

I posted on the first page to use kitchen roll :) I have always used this method if I am worried. Even the reddest wee comes up orange on kitchen roll and is nothing to worry about. When there is actual visible blood you tend to know what it is without having to check.

I posted on the first page to use kitchen roll :) I have always used this method if I am worried. Even the reddest wee comes up orange on kitchen roll and is nothing to worry about. When there is actual visible blood you tend to know what it is without having to check.

:oops: Sorry. :oops:

If it helps to clarify things, this is perfectly normal urine from a bunny who is currently eating a lot of dandelions. Renal function tests were absolutely normal 3 weeks ago & done during a prolonged bout of stasis. He isn't dehydrated at the mo. either.

DSCF5084.jpg

He's only produced red wee twice, & on both occasions he'd been very severely stressed. The red colour was caused by increased porphorin release due to stress. (No photos available)

Thank you for all the replies on this. We had him to the vets and were advised that it is not blood, and is being caused by Stress/His Diet. In regard to not allowing the dog near the rabbits cage, and allowing for a VERY slow acclimatisation period, the dog & rabbit actually lived together in our house (freely) for 6 months before the rabbit went outside, and the comment regarding the dog being able to give the rabbit a "nasty bite" through the cage really is ridiculous quite honestly, if there was any possibility of the dog having any tendancies to bite would we really let him near the cage? It goes without saying that really is out of the question, the rabbit absolutely loves the dog and when we have them both out in the garden together theres only one animal not leaving the other one alone and thats the rabbit following the dog, he loves to snuggle up next to him and lay together, play, etc. We have taken the advice regarding diet and cut out the sweetcorn, dandelion leaves (for now until we see a change) and also introduced more Hay along with less fresh vegetables. It has now been 4 weeks since this appeared, i did the kitchen towel test and when dipped in the urine it was bright & dark red on the towel, not orange, yet the vet insists after some swabs that the liquid has no blood in it. We can only trust what he says, although the rabbit has lost a bit of weight in the last 4 weeks also, only minor but enough to notice.

I'm glad you've taken veterinary advice. However, I'd just point out that a dog biting a rabbit is NOT ridiculous.

It's good that your dog and rabbit get along at the moment, but accidents can happen. So please don't dismiss the previous comments, they've been posted with your rabbits safety in mind.

Brab I want to apologise if any of my own comments have distressed you.

It's impossible for anyone to post all the details of your circumstances so those of us answering can bark up the wrong tree. Well I do anyway.:shock: Please accept my apolgies or putting 2&2 together & making 10.

I want to reassure you that a dip stix test really does exclude blood completely. We use it it humans. The paper in the strip has a chemical which ONLY changes colour when blood is present. It's 1 of the few things in life which is 100% accurate.
I'm really pleased that it isn't blood.

I've everything crossed that changing diet will solve the issue for you. Meanwhile I'm thinking of the sort of things which might be upsetting an outdoor bunny.

I see his behaviour as like my own unneutered buck, who has never sprayed for hormonal reasons. He will however, charge at a magpie which settles on the lawn & spray it in the face successfully seeing it off every time! He's saying "(buzz) off" quite literally. Thumper found he had 2 defensive weapons at both ends. Claws & teeth at the front & power packed, punching feet & wee at the rear.:lol:

I'm glad you've taken veterinary advice. However, I'd just point out that a dog biting a rabbit is NOT ridiculous.

It's good that your dog and rabbit get along at the moment, but accidents can happen. So please don't dismiss the previous comments, they've been posted with your rabbits safety in mind.

Exactly

Especially as not long ago another member had two Rabbits KILLED by a dog.

No offense intended by I will not withhold making a comment when Rabbit Welfare is concerned

I know that there have been some tragic experiences with dogs & rabbits.
The most important aspect is that owners differ widely in their ability to relate to & teach a dog, & dog temperaments differ widely. Also dogs are pack animals & when well taught can learn percieve the whole household, other pets included, as part of the pack, & as such to be defended. It doesn't happen naturally, they have to learn each other's body language.

I only allow 1 dog in my house without confining Thumper. The owner has a gift of training problem dogs but she's had her own miniature poodle from a puppy. In fact we used Celine to help Thumper to overcome his blind terror of dogs caused by an :evil: experience before I had him. He'd even run from me if I smelled of dog fom patting one, let alone the terror he experienced of a vet waiting room with a dog in it.

Although Celine free ranges with a bunny (& at times piggies) perfectly safely at her own home, there is a slight communication difference with Thumper, so Celine is under strict command to lie on a small rug - not a paw off it. Thumper can free range the whole house. If he felt uncomfortable he wouldn't bother coming downstairs to meet Celine, or he'd hop off somewhere else.

I know my neighbour's dog, my neighbour, & my rabbit. My neighbour is so considerate that if she's looking after her Mum's Jack Russel, she phones me if she's going to call, cos the Jack Russel is safe with her bun but we're not sure about Thumps & not going to risk it.

In fact the greatest hazzard to Thumper is my :censored: home help who doesn't look where she's putting her feet & won't make any effort to do so.:evil:

There are some wonderful interspecies relationships on here. Maizey's dogs guard the conti's all day so they can free range safely. Her present HUGE GSD is so gentle with baby wildie.:love: Her videos are a delight. I'm so sad that people are getting afraid to post these wonderful experiences we have, because they fear getting told off. It's doubly sad because these fantastic relationships are a great credit to the owner.

Yes, we have to be very careful indeed & very good at reading the body language of all the species concerned, as well as knowing them well. Animals DO "speak", & very clearly. They just don't use words. We have to be particularly careful when dealing with a prey /predator situation.

Celine & Thumper can NEVER play together. Thumper loves running with me round the garden. Celine is used to boisterous doggy running round, which involves jumping into each other. She's small & light but 1 jump would break Thumper's back. That only applies to these 2 animals. I've never had cause for alarm although they visit about every week for the last 4 years. On the other hand every time my Home Help visits I think "Where's Thumper? Is he safe?"

I think what is important here, is that only the O/P knows the animals concerned. The O/P describes a good stable relationship between bun & dog. It's up to us to try to think round this, & try to come up with other possible reasons for the recent problem, until we get it right & bunny & O/P can be happy again.

I'm thinking in terms of my relationship with my dog, Sheba. Sadly she passed away in 2000, but I had a very good relationship with her, she'd wee in my bedroom because she knew I wouldn't tell her off :lol: However, that didn't stop her going for me if I raised my voice when my mum (her mistress) was around. It didn't matter than I was moaning about something, she saw me as a threat.

My sisters dog, Poppy, scared the life out of Tinker and I cannot go near Barnaby if I've been near Poppy because he can smell her and is terrified. (He spent 8 months in a sanctuary near other dogs so should be used to their smell).

Dogs are predators, rabbits are prey.....care should always be taken. I'm also basing my comments on a lot of the reports of children being suddenly attacked by the family dog. :(

I'm sorry Shay but I don't find it acceptable for a dog to wee in your bedroom unless they're very ill. A dog shouldn't "go" for a human under ANY circumstances, unless specifically trained as police dogs.

My neighbour asked me to help to train Celine to be child proof because the dog knew me well, but I had never commanded her. Yes, it's nasty, & nasty for the dog, but it's to save the dog's life. I was asked to pick her up by the tail until her back feet left the ground - one of the nastiest things you can do to a dog. She didn't even look round, let alone show a tooth. Later we got one of the boys next door, who she didn't know to do it, she was perfect.

I still say it's up to the humans to be head of the household & lay down the rule book. NO TEETH because under this roof teeth aren't necessary. I expect my rabbit to pooh & wee in the right place & he isn't allowed to lay on teeth either. He's never put a paw wrong. I think rabbits are more difficult to train than dogs. They've certainly got the IQ it's motivating them that's more difficult - they're not "hard wired" to obey the pack leader.

Er this was towards the end of Sheba's life. She had mobility problems and would struggle upstairs to ask to be let out, Unfortunately, sometimes it would be too late for her. It wasn't a common occurrence so don't judge.

No, a dog should never 'go' for a human but they do, fact of life. No-one is perfect and not every dog can be trained so perfectly by picking them up by the tail. If you find it nasty, don't do it. There are other ways to train a dog.

And for the record, my rabbits are litter-trained and don't bite me.

I don't normally post in topics like this but this thread has been hi-jacked....and in a bad way.

Picking a dog up by it's tail is not acceptable in this day and age. It was used by people hunting rabbits with dogs to drag the dog out of a burrow. presumably the only way to free a trapped dog. But to use it in any kind of training is totally unacceptable. It's cruel, the tail could be dislocated and it shows a complete lack of respect for or ability to control a dog.

Quote by Thumps
'Later we got one of the boys next door, who she didn't know to do it'

What a terrible thing to get a child to do....that's certainly not showing the child respect for animals.
What happens when he demonstrates this 'method' to his friends.

I don't normally post in topics like this but this thread has been hi-jacked....and in a bad way.

Picking a dog up by it's tail is not acceptable in this day and age. It was used by people hunting rabbits with dogs to drag the dog out of a burrow. presumably the only way to free a trapped dog. But to use it in any kind of training is totally unacceptable. It's cruel, the tail could be dislocated and it shows a complete lack of respect for or ability to control a dog.

Quote by Thumps
'Later we got one of the boys next door, who she didn't know to do it'

What a terrible thing to get a child to do....that's certainly not showing the child respect for animals.
What happens when he demonstrates this 'method' to his friends.

The problem is that the dog is exactly the height of a 3 year old child. Any idiot 3 year old in the street could do this & if the dog reacted naturally by biting the child, the dog would be accused of savaging the child & put down.
It was done only 4 times because most parents these days don't teach their children how to behave towards dogs & belly ache when their child gets hurt from tormenting the dog.
The boy is a very mature 11year old & animal savvy - perfectly aware of the correct way to relate to animals & why his help was needed in these circumstances.

Your comments are totally unjustified, under the circumstances I described in my post.
Get real. Small dog owners have to put up with their dogs being tormented by any passer by & if the dog says it doesn't like being tormented the only way it can by nipping the offender, the dog gets put down.
The only way to protect the dog is to train it not to react.

Thanks for the self righteous upbraiding for saving a dog's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back