• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas!!

annewd

New Kit
My husband noticed what he thought to be lots of large fleas jumping around when he emptied a trug containing bedding etc which I had just put in after cleaning rabbits out.

I use frontline for my cats but it says on there NEVER use on rabbits as it could kill them.

What should I use?

My husband noticed what he thought to be lots of large fleas jumping around when he emptied a trug containing bedding etc which I had just put in after cleaning rabbits out.

I use frontline for my cats but it says on there NEVER use on rabbits as it could kill them.

What should I use?

Definitely NOT frontline that's correct. Advantage by Bayer (manufacturer) is the only licensed flea treatment for rabbits in the UK that i'm aware of.

Is it definitely fleas? If there are fleas in the bedding, then they'll definitely be some on the rabbits. Try using a flea comb on them, especially around the head area

I saw a flea on Beebee down in the thick fur about an inch and a half from his tail....Not only has he been treated with the Advantage stuff from my vet, but I groom him too.
I treated my cats so dont understand why Beebs got them.I also clean out Beebs every other day...a full clean!!!

My husband said they were larger than cat fleas - which I think rabbit fleas are - and they were definitely jumping like fleas do.

I think this must be a particularly bad year for fleas because my dogs have had them for the first time in many years and I used spot-on which didn't work. Then I was advised by the vet to treat bedding and the house which I did - but still the blighters persisted. So after a couple of weeks I sprayed them with frontline and guess what? I have still found a few on them. Nearly a hundred pounds if you include the cat spot-on which also didnt't work this year so have resorted to the spray!! Just looked at my long haired ginger and found some more!! I wonder if they are building up a resistance to frontline - usually happens with all pest control doesn't it?

My husband said they were larger than cat fleas - which I think rabbit fleas are - and they were definitely jumping like fleas do.

I don't think (and I could be wrong) that rabbits have their own flea species - they just pick them up off cats/dogs and other species.

Back