• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver just had a seizure

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
At least I think that's what happened. :(
I was in the kitchen cleaning out Mimzy's habitat and suddenly there was the sound of banging coming from my room. I ran in to see him on his side in his enclosure flopping about like a fish. I thought at first maybe his legs had gone (he's had worsening arthritis for the last year) but I was able to lift him onto the bed without a fight and he couldn't right himself without help. His eyes looked at first like he'd gone blind but he responded to light. He took a while to come to himself and he's obviously shaken (as am I!) but he's back in his litterbox and nibbling a bit. I haven't been this scared since Mimzy's head tilt. I thought I was going to lose him.
It's a bit hot in my room so I opened the window and will keep an eye on him. Of course it's out of hours and his regular vet isn't on this month but I'll get him in a.s.a.p. tomorrow to be sure he's not hurt himself. All limbs seem sound and only his rump seems sensitive but he's never liked that touched anyway. Would rather not further stress him tonight.

I've long suspected that since he was almost bonded to Mimzy and spent time with him right before he tilted that maybe Fiver also has e.c. but his vet never confirmed it. He's had small seizures before, we think, but nothing this severe. :cry:

He's only seven...that's not old for a minirex is it? :(
Going to give him his metacam soon. He gets 0.25 mls twice a day. He's bound to be sore and can handle as much as 0.3 mls which I'll offer tonight. My poor boy.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and for me too to calm my nerves. :cry:

Last edited:
An hour on and he's had his metacam just now and is happily munching away almost as if nothing happened. He is surely picking up on my anxiety though. :(

Oh gosh that must've been scary for both of you :cry: As you did not actually witness what happened then it may be that it wasn't a seizure but, as you suggested, his arthritic legs gave way and he then could not right himself so went into a panic. This can then cause the Rabbit to go into 'zone out mode' due to fright, they become almost catatonic for a very short time as they are effectively 'playing dead' -reverting to their wild Rabbit self preservation instincts. Once the fear subsides and they are feeling safe again they carry on as if nothing has happened. Meanwhile we need an IV diazepam drip setting up !!

Obviously a Vet check would be a good idea and I cannot say for certain that Fiver has not had a seizure, but my gut feeling is that it was all related to him falling over and not being able to get up (due to his arthritis), going into a panic and then being 'frozen with fear' so-to-speak.

At least by the sounds of it he seems to be OK now xx

Thank you Jane, I was hoping you'd see this.
I wish I could have been there for the whole episode, and yet not of course because it was terrible to watch. I truly thought he was dying. :cry:
Really I have seen him do some odd things, he'll be lying down for a snooze and then suddenly have this odd head twitching side to side or his rear legs would kick out as if running but not in a normal way...this was the first time I saw him unable to get up and he was almost in a lifeless state when I picked him up. I did call his name repeatedly as he was lying there, and loudly, with no response...so either he did not hear me or could not. :(

I read up on seizures in rabbits at petmd and medirabbit...seems most of them are idiopathic. Some are caused by intense pain. :( Your description of the "fear response" would be a much preferable scenario, but I can't be certain what this was and I'm mostly concerned that he not have anything fractured or broken that he's hiding from me now. :(
Since he's only recently begun having metacam for his arthritis I should probably have a blood panel done to check for renal damage, which was also mentioned as a probable cause for seizures. He was also "leaning" to one side rather heavily in his bun loaf sleeping position earlier today, I noticed...and since he and the other buns have been digging at their ears I have been praying he is not going to come down with tilt too. :(

Watching him like a hawk. He is back to eating and drinking from his bottle and bowl and seems back to normal but I surely won't be for the next 24 hours.
Yes...one IV drip lorazepam...STAT...for me thank you! :shock:

Awwww no. Millions of hugs for you and trillions for poor Fiver.

I hope it's nothing sinister....

Fee ((((xxxx))))

Thank you Jane, I was hoping you'd see this.
I wish I could have been there for the whole episode, and yet not of course because it was terrible to watch. I truly thought he was dying. :cry:
Really I have seen him do some odd things, he'll be lying down for a snooze and then suddenly have this odd head twitching side to side or his rear legs would kick out as if running but not in a normal way...this was the first time I saw him unable to get up and he was almost in a lifeless state when I picked him up. I did call his name repeatedly as he was lying there, and loudly, with no response...so either he did not hear me or could not. :(

I read up on seizures in rabbits at petmd and medirabbit...seems most of them are idiopathic. Some are caused by intense pain. :( Your description of the "fear response" would be a much preferable scenario, but I can't be certain what this was and I'm mostly concerned that he not have anything fractured or broken that he's hiding from me now. :(
Since he's only recently begun having metacam for his arthritis I should probably have a blood panel done to check for renal damage, which was also mentioned as a probable cause for seizures. He was also "leaning" to one side rather heavily in his bun loaf sleeping position earlier today, I noticed...and since he and the other buns have been digging at their ears I have been praying he is not going to come down with tilt too. :(

Watching him like a hawk. He is back to eating and drinking from his bottle and bowl and seems back to normal but I surely won't be for the next 24 hours.
Yes...one IV drip lorazepam...STAT...for me thank you! :shock:

Oh I'm so sorry to read this :cry:

I have to say having read all through your accounts, it sounds to me like Fiver did have a seizure, but of course I may be wrong and even a vet may not be able to diagnose accurately.

One of my buns had a seizure recently and it sounded exactly the same. I held this terrified individual in my arms and I also thought he would pass there and then. My vet has no experience of dealing with rabbit seizures so although I took him along, there wasn't anything she could do. He was already on Panacur at the time.

With my vet's approval I have gone down the 'alternative' route to deal with this - I don't know whether you use herbs/homeopathy but it seemed like a gentle way to cope with his issues after he had a recurrence two months later.

I pray for a good outcome for Fiver and that he's back to normal now :D

so scary, sounds like what my od girl rosie used to do, her back end just completely used to go on her and she would cry for me to help her up

lots of vibes for fiver

It can be very scary-perhaps more for you than for the bunny.
I had this same thing happen with Bonita, a Netherland Dwarf, when he was 12.5 years old. Like you, I did not really know if he fell in an awkward position and could not get up, or if he had a seizure. It was only when he had a severe seizure in front of me that I knew for sure. I could not believe how quickly he went back to being himself when moments before he became unresponsive and I thought I lost him. Even if it is a seizure, the vets may be able to correct the cause or treat the symptom.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for you kind thoughts and posts. :)
Fiver has an appointment at 11:30 tomorrow morning but I am worried this afternoon he may be showing signs of balance problems. If he gets worse of course we'll be off to the OOH but right now I'm hoping it's not another case of headtilt coming on. :(
Could we please have more vibes for him? If he gets this illness, because he is not a hands on bunny, we may have to make a very hard decision. :cry:
Thank you. xxxx

Oh gosh that must have been so frightening and stressful for you to watch! I freak out over such benign things my pets do if I think something might be wrong. Sending lots of healing vibes to both of you. xx

Oh no. I hope that it is not head tilt. I have just read this and sending tons of vibes for tonight and his vet appointment tomorrow.
Sounds very scary for both of you.

Fiver has an appointment at 11:30 tomorrow morning but I am worried this afternoon he may be showing signs of balance problems. If he gets worse of course we'll be off to the OOH but right now I'm hoping it's not another case of headtilt coming on. :(
Could we please have more vibes for him? If he gets this illness, because he is not a hands on bunny, we may have to make a very hard decision. :cry:
Thank you. xxxx

Many many vibes and wishes for a good outcome for Fiver. I also hope it's not a case of head tilt. I had this with my little bun who had a seizure also. Poor little one. They are so helpless and we can only do our best.

Sending ((((( hugs )))))

Thank you. xxxx

Lots more vibes being sent M, I expect C is very upset about Fiver too. Please let her know she too is in my thoughts xx

Back