• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First time rabbit owner worries

Hey, welcome to the forum. Omg your bunny is absolutely adorable :love: his eye doesn't look too bad to me, but in the past when I thought one of my bunnies eyes looked a bit irritated, I actually flushed it out with Optrex and that helped loads. I can't remember where I got the information now, but I did check it out to make sure it was ok to do this, and it was. I have also treated a mild eye infection with 'Golden Eye Ointment' and that is perfectly safe and ok to use as well, and did clear it up, but you mustn't say you are buying it to use on an animal or they won't sell it to you. I thought you could go to a PDSA clinic can't you, and just make a donation. If you google Pet Aid, apparently they offer assistance with vets bills, but I think they need to be at least £100, before they will offer any help. I really do understand your situation, and this suggestion may seem ridiculous, but I think in some ways it is even more relevant to yourself with you not working at the moment, and that is to get your beautiful bunny insured. It would cost approximately £10 a month with Petplan, so £2.50 a week, but the peace of mind it would provide has got to be priceless really. I do work but would still find my vets bills hard to pay if my buns weren't insured, and you know how it is, when you are as broke as you can be, and then bunny goes and gets poorly. I know you would have an excess of £50, but imagine if you had a vets bill of £500 to pay, you'd be wishing you had the insurance then. You could enter into a payment plan with your vet, but if you had a bill of hundreds of pounds, that would still be a nightmare wouldn't it when you could have just paid £10 a month. If you think you might like to go for the insurance and peace of mind, if you post on here, as I am sure at the moment that Petplan are doing 2 months free as well, which if you had that, by the time you then had to pay it yourself, you may well be back in work. Good luck with the job hunting as well. I don't know if it is your thing, but I'm a paramedic and my sister has just got a fab job with the NHS, that I helped her with, and it is a complete change for her but she is absolutely loving it, and there are always lots and lots of jobs on the NHS where you can train on the job as well. If it appeals to you go on the NHS Jobs website and you can search for hospitals specifically in your area.

Back