• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First night inside

I agree with you all, I want her to be outside! It's just she thumps when she is out there so is clearly scared of something! This means I have to keep going out to her and I literally talk to her for a minute and then she's fine! But I would rather be woken up in my bedroom than have to go outside in the freezing cold in my pyjamas in the middle of the night! She is such a pain!

I agree with you all, I want her to be outside! It's just she thumps when she is out there so is clearly scared of something! This means I have to keep going out to her and I literally talk to her for a minute and then she's fine! But I would rather be woken up in my bedroom than have to go outside in the freezing cold in my pyjamas in the middle of the night! She is such a pain!

That's tricky. It may be worth one night of sitting up to watch to see what's scaring her. Or have you tried covering her hutch outside in case it's a cat or the sound of the wind etc? I'd really try to keep her out there if I were you. Is a fox visiting perhaps? Again, covering the hutch might help.

That's tricky. It may be worth one night of sitting up to watch to see what's scaring her. Or have you tried covering her hutch outside in case it's a cat or the sound of the wind etc? I'd really try to keep her out there if I were you. Is a fox visiting perhaps? Again, covering the hutch might help.

I have! She thumps with the hutch covered and uncovered and I can watch and hear from the bathroom window what's going on and there is nothing there!

The situation is causing me a lot of stress as I have no idea what to do for the best!

Yeah I remember the post, as you were first asking if thumping could mean anything other than fear but not everyone will remember/know the istuation so it's a bad meh that sometimes it takes a bit re-explaining or linking the old thread can help :)

What I mean from agreeing with them is that yes, it's ideal sitution but it is just the waiting game and adjusting/tweaking for what suits you both until that all happens. It is a stressing situation, definitely, I mean she's causing a ruckus at night in her hutch or being a noisy one through the night. I would say though, try tonight as you were thinking (if that's in bedroom as you said next time she won't get on bed?) and see if she is any more settled.

I mean we can't look for miracles, I think it sounded like a good night. She was noisy (but they are active evening/night) and she did wee/poo but it was a first for her too, so she also needs to adjust. I hope you're able to catch on some of that lost sleep though

I have! She thumps with the hutch covered and uncovered and I can watch and hear from the bathroom window what's going on and there is nothing there!

The situation is causing me a lot of stress as I have no idea what to do for the best!

Bunny friend, pronto! :D

Yeah I remember the post, as you were first asking if thumping could mean anything other than fear but not everyone will remember/know the istuation so it's a bad meh that sometimes it takes a bit re-explaining or linking the old thread can help :)

What I mean from agreeing with them is that yes, it's ideal sitution but it is just the waiting game and adjusting/tweaking for what suits you both until that all happens. It is a stressing situation, definitely, I mean she's causing a ruckus at night in her hutch or being a noisy one through the night. I would say though, try tonight as you were thinking (if that's in bedroom as you said next time she won't get on bed?) and see if she is any more settled.

I mean we can't look for miracles, I think it sounded like a good night. She was noisy (but they are active evening/night) and she did wee/poo but it was a first for her too, so she also needs to adjust. I hope you're able to catch on some of that lost sleep though

Thank you for your help. Yes, I am giving it another go tonight. I have a bigger litter tray for her (she was getting too big for the other one anyway) and taken away the noisy cardboard. She has been in my room today and I have been constantly taking her off the bed and putting her in her litter tray as soon as she jumps on and I think she is starting to get the message. I have also provided her with a chair as I think she liked the height of the bed so she can jump onto the chair instead. She has countless toys to occupy her too! Hopefully these tweaks will make a difference!

She probably doesn't like being confined to her hutch (mine would hate it). If you could attach a good run to her hutch, so she could access at night, she would probably be happier.

Hi there, I had to keep my two rabbits in my bedroom with me for about ten months when my mum came to live with me and brought her dog - long story. You should find the poops and wee settle down really fast, instead of completely clearing my rabbits poops away I put them in their litter tray when they were watching and it settled down within about 48hrs, probably more to do with the fact they'd marked their territory properly by that time. Whilst they were really nosey and inquisitive to begin with jumping on the bed, they soon lost interest in this too in favour of hiding under it which I turned into a warren and playground. The best piece of advice I can give you though is 1) black out blinds to trick them that it's later longer in the mornings (mine got in the habit of demanding breakfast nuggets when they thought I should be up and 2) those gel ear plugs that Boots sell, they sort of mould into your ear and block out all noise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your tips and help!

Last night was a bit rubbish. Like I said I had been putting Bella straight in her litter tray when she jumped on my bed and she was starting to get the message. At night I put a scarf tied along the side of my bed to make it much higher to discourage her but she jumped over it! It was about a metre high and she did it! At 2 o'clock I spent an hour and a half constantly taking her off my bed, I wouldn't mind but I know she would have weed and I wasn't going to let that happen again! So she started thumping in my bedroom! I'm sure she is just being moody and demanding attention because she stopped when I stroked her and wouldn't leave me alone! She had so many toys, lots of food and water so didn't need anything! So I put her outside and fortunately she didn't thump. I ended up back in my room crying so couldn't get to sleep anyway...

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well. I mean, it's clear she is coming to that time where she is getting hormonal and so you can only expect that things might get a bit more difficult. Especially as they are social and active at night, it's not entirely unsurprising that she see's it as play time. Toys are fine but don't replace a living, breathing toy which gives treats and pets you.

It might be then, that the best for you is to leave her outside - if you can manage, look to attach the hutch to a run so she can move about freely. But it's not realistic for you to keep her in your room if you can't sleep and it's going to upset you and it is another 2 months, which may come round quick but you can't be sleep deprived for 2 months waiting for her to be of age to spay.

You can't go on having nights like this. What about the suggestions we've made about attaching a run to her outside hutch?

Yes I need to make her current pen secure and safe to be left in. I think I will have to get some cover for it at least. I'll ask my dad to see if there's anything he could do as he'll probably be better than me haha! I will give her things to keep her occupied in her hutch and hide bits off etc and hopefully I'll get some sleep! And then at least I'll be able to think about the situation more clearly!

Yes I need to make her current pen secure and safe to be left in. I think I will have to get some cover for it at least. I'll ask my dad to see if there's anything he could do as he'll probably be better than me haha! I will give her things to keep her occupied in her hutch and hide bits off etc and hopefully I'll get some sleep! And then at least I'll be able to think about the situation more clearly!

Lack of sleep is horrible.

You need a good wooden run, which will have a roof you can take on or off to clean it out. Please don't risk a metal run.

One possibility. Though it is recommended for girl buns to be spayed before bonding, sometimes it can work out to bond them with an already neutered male before they get spayed. I had an unspayed bun with her neutered partner for a few months, until I was able to get her spayed. So it can work out in some circumstances, with the right bunny friend.

Back