• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally building my hutch! U/D Whole setup finally finished!

Why? Is it not good wood to use?

I debated about using MDF or chipboard etc, but decided the MDF looked stronger.

Tips on building a hutch? Hmm. I have no idea. :lol: My Dad has done most of the difficult bits. I just sawed a few bits an directed him in the design. :lol:

MDF is not for outdoor use, not waterproof and is just not the best to be used outdoors.
Mainly its for furniture and few other things.

Once wet it goes soft etc.
WBP Plywood is what you should have used as that the main board for outdoor use.

It does look good and sorry to bring bad news to your project.

MDF is not for outdoor use, not waterproof and is just not the best to be used outdoors.
Mainly its for furniture and few other things.

Once wet it goes soft etc.
WBP Plywood is what you should have used as that the main board for outdoor use.

It does look good and sorry to bring bad news to your project.

Ah, I see. It will be fine I think, though. It shouldn't get wet as it's only being used for the floor which will be covered in lino and for the roof which will be covered in felt. :thumb: It's also only going to be used on warm, dry days in the Summer and be covered up the rest of the time with a tarpaulin. If it should rot or go soft, I can easily replace it....well maybe not "easily" but it'll be possible to replace :lol:. I'll blame my Dad if it does go soft. :thumb:

I will bear this in mind if I ever build another and will make sure to use plywood next time. Thank you for the advice! :thumb:

Looks fabulous! Personally I would paint the inside while you've got the opportunity, I find it makes it easier to clean as it puts a bit of a 'smooth' surface on the inside of the wood.

Can't wait to see pics of the finished article!

So it's all painted now. I will leave the inside..I think the bunnies will just chew off the paint I put on the inside. They had used to love peeling off the paint on my walls before I stuck laminate flooring on them. :lol:

We decided to buy some plywood for the roof since the info on MDF. We hadn't actually bought the wood for the roof yet, so we decided to play it safe and get some exterior plywood yesterday. The base should be ok in MDF providing it's kept protected.

All we need to do now is put in some lino, put in the partition for the left hand side, a supporting beam across for the shelf and then the roof can go on. My Dad is aiming to get it finished on Saturday. :D :D Then we just need to fix up my run and they can go out whilst I'm at work. :thumb:

This looks FAB!! Would love to be able to build something like this lol..

My Merlin is looking over my shoulder demanding one to be sent to him... Does DAD DO mail order? :lol:

I love it Lauren. I'm hoping to get mine out up this weekend if the rain holds off. I wish I had seen you 2 days earlier than last Sunday as the half and half door idea is fab!

I love it Lauren. I'm hoping to get mine out up this weekend if the rain holds off. I wish I had seen you 2 days earlier than last Sunday as the half and half door idea is fab!

Thank you!

Hello stranger! :wave: Maybe you could do it with your hutch anyway? Take out some of the boards and mesh half of it? Although, I know fine well if I did that I'd probably end up breaking the whole thing somehow. :lol:

Well, looks like my hutch is going to be put on hold due to the rain. :cry: I was so hoping to have it done this weekend. Bloody weather!! :evil:

How is the garden coming along?

The Hutch Man: It is Barleywood from the Curpinol range. :thumb: It looks far better than I expected! Needs a bit of touching up here and there...I'm not the best painter in the world. :roll: Thanks again for the heads up about the MDF. :)

My Dad has announced that he won't be going into the hutch business, I'm afraid. I did try to convince him but to no avail. Sorry everyone. :lol:

Thank you!

Hello stranger! :wave: Maybe you could do it with your hutch anyway? Take out some of the boards and mesh half of it? Although, I know fine well if I did that I'd probably end up breaking the whole thing somehow. :lol:

Well, looks like my hutch is going to be put on hold due to the rain. :cry: I was so hoping to have it done this weekend. Bloody weather!! :evil:

How is the garden coming along?

The Hutch Man: It is Barleywood from the Curpinol range. :thumb: It looks far better than I expected! Needs a bit of touching up here and there...I'm not the best painter in the world. :roll: Thanks again for the heads up about the MDF. :)

My Dad has announced that he won't be going into the hutch business, I'm afraid. I did try to convince him but to no avail. Sorry everyone. :lol:
Shame tell your dad I could use some help as I'm so busy lol

Sorry to hear that your building has been put on hold due to our lovely weather..

Merlin is MOST disappointed now though however lol! x

We have STILL not got the roof on! :roll: We have put castors on the bottom which has made it about 1000 times easier to move about. Excellent idea by my Dad there. :thumb: He has them occasionally..:lol: The bottom has been stained with some really good weather proofing stuff in the hope that the MDF will survive and the paint work has been touched up.
We would have gotten the roof on if the heavens hadn't opened..again! We still have not had this thunder storm we have been promised, though!

Tomorrow we are going to really push to finish it. Then we just need to make some adjustments to my run and fingers crossed the bunnies can go out! They have been very norty and destructive lately, so I'll be glad to get them out where they can only chew the hutch. :lol: Knowing my luck they'll save all their chewing for when I bring them back in. :roll: Sadly, one of the vet beds has been mortally wounded so I think I'll have to fork out for a new one. :lol:

THE ROOF IS ON PEOPLE! It took a lot longer than expected, but it's on. The felt is only tacked down quickly and will be done properly tomorrow hence why it's uneven. I am hoping that we'll get the bolts on the doors and a few other final bits and pieces done but we'll see.

I am absolutely fooshed. :lol:

finally finished it! Only thing I have to do now is my run, it will fit on the hutch, but I can't open the hutch doors. :roll: Trying to figure out how to fix this lol.

My Dad insisted on putting the buns in the hutch tonight to see how they got on. :lol: They approve!

It took them about 5 mins to figure out the flap. :thumb: They have had a great time hopping in and out and exploring the inside. They have already chewed it. :roll: :lol:

I may replace the flap with a cat flap, I think it'd look nice. Alternatively I may paint the flap that's on there now.

Looks good, I put a cat flap on my shed as our moggie sleeps on top of the hutch during the night when its cold, the buns mastered it within 5 minutes. ;)

Back