• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting Boy Bunnies

Hi,

I'm new here and was directed from a site I found on a google search when looking for info on fighting rabbits.

We have 4 mini lops, 2 boys, 2 girls. ALL are neutered/spayed

1 boy and 1 girl are just over 2 years old (January), the other boy and girl will be 2 in August. The younger ones are the older ones babies.

The last month or so the boys started fighting. To begin with it was just a few spats here and there but the last week has gotten worse.

It is the 'dad' who is initiating the attacks and even when the son runs away (into the cage if they are out, or into a different part of the cage if they are in) the dad will go chase him and keep fighting. The son has had a few bad scratches but nothing needing stitches and no blood.

This evening we saw dad fighting with the daughter.

They have a big cage and are let out almost every day (unless we are out all day), they have plenty of room, a carrier to hide in, a tunnel stuff to chew on and play with etc. I can't think of anything else we can give them so I can't think it can be boredom.

It is just spring fever? Will it stop? Or any ideas on what we can do. We are at the point of thinking dad might need to be moved on to a home on his own and the others play happily together.

Hi there, my first thoughts are space. Can you setup a permanently attached large run so they can exercise when they like and also get away from each other when they feel the need? What's the size space they are in at the moment?
:wave:

Hi there, my first thoughts are space. Can you setup a permanently attached large run so they can exercise when they like and also get away from each other when they feel the need? What's the size space they are in at the moment?
:wave:

Yes, same thoughts here.

They have the whole of our conservatory and attached space. The conservatory is 6mx2m and the other room we let them in is a good 2m square.

But whether they are in the cage or out the older boy bunny chases the younger one and fights. They have been fighting this morning already. Even when the younger one went in the cage the older one tried to fight through the cage...

There are 4 sections to the cage they are in so it is possible for them all to be in a single section if they want to, but its like the older one will seek the younger one out :(

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought they were shut in the cage at times.
I have no idea what to suggest - and hope someone else can help.

It's not going to be much fun for the younger boy and I think the only way is to separate him from Dad unfortunately. :(

Hi,

I'm new here and was directed from a site I found on a google search when looking for info on fighting rabbits.

We have 4 mini lops, 2 boys, 2 girls. ALL are neutered/spayed

1 boy and 1 girl are just over 2 years old (January), the other boy and girl will be 2 in August. The younger ones are the older ones babies.

The last month or so the boys started fighting. To begin with it was just a few spats here and there but the last week has gotten worse.

It is the 'dad' who is initiating the attacks and even when the son runs away (into the cage if they are out, or into a different part of the cage if they are in) the dad will go chase him and keep fighting. The son has had a few bad scratches but nothing needing stitches and no blood.

This evening we saw dad fighting with the daughter.

They have a big cage and are let out almost every day (unless we are out all day), they have plenty of room, a carrier to hide in, a tunnel stuff to chew on and play with etc. I can't think of anything else we can give them so I can't think it can be boredom.

It is just spring fever? Will it stop? Or any ideas on what we can do. We are at the point of thinking dad might need to be moved on to a home on his own and the others play happily together.

I agree that a permanent run is a good idea and a health check. Good luck.

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought they were shut in the cage at times.
I have no idea what to suggest - and hope someone else can help.

Sorry, yes they are in the cage when we are not home, we have 2 double story cages linked together.

We took dad to the vet and he said he seemed fine :(

I'll have to speak to my husband and see if there is any way we can extend the cage but I'm not sure that is going to be possible and it seems if Dad wants a fight he will follow him wherever as he will fight him in the cage, out the cage and if they are out the cage and son tries to get away he will just chase him... it seems they could have the run of the whole house and dad would find him out and fight him...

Maybe we will have to find a new home for Dad where he can be on his own :(

Back